Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:54:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 8498 times)
kwukduck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 04:05:22 PM

I'm fairly new to BitCoin, i realy like it's philosophy so i'll try to keep supporting it for a while.

I quickly ran into some things that i noticed.

There's no option to select a default priority for the process, it would be nice to have it run default on 'below normal' priority, currently, by default it kills my gaming experience or even youtube. And it's quite annoying to set the priority lower with taskmanager every time.

The Wallet shouldn't have a hardcoded location in %appdata%, it would be nice if i could store the wallet on my TrueCrypt volume and just have a settingsfile in the BitCoin program folder point to it.

It should be optional to select a 'sender', currently i can only send anonymous transactions, thats's quite annoying when accepting donations where the donator is to receive something in return, or even just to know who paid for the product or service you 're providing.

Thats it for now i'll update when i bump into more.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
17ujzChRb6VPQGyANVyktc1du

August 01, 2010, 05:28:33 PM

Change your appdata environment variable, bitcoin miner threads are already at lowest priority.
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 06:14:45 PM

It should be optional to select a 'sender', currently i can only send anonymous transactions, thats's quite annoying when accepting donations where the donator is to receive something in return, or even just to know who paid for the product or service you 're providing.

you can set a new address for any donator, or even any single transaction if you like to.
if only the donator knows that address, you know, where coins come from.

kwukduck (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 06:55:19 PM

I shouldn't have to change system environment variables in order to get this flexibility imho...

I know i can use a different BC address for each transaction, but i would have to make some script that changes the address after each transaction and parse it to the website, then i have to ask the donator to what address he sent it, in short, any practical solution i can think of is just a hassle.
I understand the need for 'anonimity' but the option to see where it came from is realy usefull i think.

Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 07:47:52 PM

I know i can use a different BC address for each transaction, but i would have to make some script that changes the address after each transaction and parse it to the website, then i have to ask the donator to what address he sent it, in short, any practical solution i can think of is just a hassle.
I understand the need for 'anonimity' but the option to see where it came from is realy usefull i think.

Instead you pass the hassle onto the user by making him have to tell you which bitcoin address he will be sending from?
I think I'll shop somewhere else.
BitLex

Activity: 532
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 07:50:52 PM

.. but i would have to make some script that changes the address after each transaction and parse it to the website..
you will need a script that communicates with your bitcoin-node, that's true,
but that feature you're asking for already exists.
you either get a new address by clicking the "New Address" button manually, or by calling "getnewaddress" through JSON-API.
set a label for each donator, show it on your website and you will be able to track received coins.

kwukduck (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 08:02:30 PM

ok, so with more or less hassle i can keep track of it...
and what is the argument against creating an option to show the sender? (which i tought initialy was included in the program but is now greyed out?)

lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 01, 2010, 11:20:28 PM

I'm fairly new to BitCoin, i realy like it's philosophy so i'll try to keep supporting it for a while.

I quickly ran into some things that i noticed.

There's no option to select a default priority for the process, it would be nice to have it run default on 'below normal' priority, currently, by default it kills my gaming experience or even youtube. And it's quite annoying to set the priority lower with taskmanager every time.

The Wallet shouldn't have a hardcoded location in %appdata%, it would be nice if i could store the wallet on my TrueCrypt volume and just have a settingsfile in the BitCoin program folder point to it.

Thats it for now i'll update when i bump into more.

If you enable the incoming port you can have donations sent to the ip-address with a message for who wants a reward and such.
aceat64

Activity: 307
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 02, 2010, 06:28:59 AM

ok, so with more or less hassle i can keep track of it...
and what is the argument against creating an option to show the sender? (which i tought initialy was included in the program but is now greyed out?)

The client doesn't know who sent a transaction, it only knows what bitcoin address sent a transaction. Unless you know all of the potential addresses of your donors, how does it help you to know which bitcoin address sent the transaction? For instance, say you had an address in your signature and I sent you 5 BTC. Unless I told you I sent you 5 BTC at X time, or I gave you the address I sent it from, how do you know that I was the one who sent it?
nimnul

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2010, 02:31:44 PM

I'm not sure that client knows what bitcoin address sent a transaction

aceat64

View Profile
August 02, 2010, 03:49:47 PM

I'm not sure that client knows what bitcoin address sent a transaction

It's recorded in the block chain. I should also mention that it may not be just one address per transaction either. If I were to send 500 BTC it might actually show up from multiple source addresses.
nimnul

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2010, 05:26:33 PM

It's recorded in the block chain
Why bitcoin client doesn't display it then? I think it's not recorded, but only the public key of the split coin and the new owner are.

Insti

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

Firstbits: 1duzy

View Profile
August 03, 2010, 05:42:51 PM

Why bitcoin client doesn't display it then?

Because no-one has written the code to do so.

I think it's not recorded, but only the public key of the split coin and the new owner are.

aceat64 is correct.
The transaction history knows where the money came from and where it goes.

That the client does not show things like this does lead to a lot of misunderstanding of how things work.
aceat64

View Profile
August 03, 2010, 08:00:52 PM

Why bitcoin client doesn't display it then? I think it's not recorded, but only the public key of the split coin and the new owner are.

In the end, it's still basically pointless data for 99.9% of users, since you still have no way of knowing who sent a transaction to you (unless you generate a receiving address just for them).
nimnul

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2010, 11:58:32 AM

That the client does not show things like this does lead to a lot of misunderstanding of how things work.
For that we need someone to read the original scientific paper by Satoshi and compile a detailed FAQ. I have this on my TODO list, but for now I'm busy with other things. There are a lot of confusion here at the forum, starting from repeated questions regarding "I heard that public key cryptography depends on factorization problem" and ending with calling the bitcoin "minting" process "limited inflation" at the home page of BitCoin while in fact the process of bitcoin creation is very similar to gold mining and that must be taken into consideration when discussing economic background of BitCoin system.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: