Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:35:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hostel for bitcoin?  (Read 1442 times)
AllYourBase (OP)

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 12:46:47 PM

Are there any hostel-type places out there that will let you rent a bunk or a room on a night-to-night basis for bitcoins (particularly in the US)?  Due to max occupancy and other regulations, there seems to be precious few hostels in the US, and I really enjoyed them while traveling.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 03:16:45 PM

Are there any hostel-type places out there that will let you rent a bunk or a room on a night-to-night basis for bitcoins (particularly in the US)?  Due to max occupancy and other regulations, there seems to be precious few hostels in the US, and I really enjoyed them while traveling.

I think thats a European and Australian thing. You could try the YMCA, that's quite similar.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 05:34:08 PM

I've tried a couple in San Francisco, they wouldn't even take paypal.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 10:58:05 PM

I don't know of any hostels accepting bitcoins.

What I do know is that there are a LOT of hostels in the US, but very few of them are part of Hostelling International. Most are independent or members of smaller networks. For instance, hostels.com lists 14 hostels in Washington DC, only one of which is HI member. Many hostels cater to a specific local audience. For instance when I was hiking the Appalachian Trail I stayed in a number of hostels near the Trail which catered only to A.T. hikers and rarely if ever saw anyone else.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Anonymous

April 28, 2011, 01:30:52 AM

Are there enough bitcoiners to even offer accomodation to other bitcoiners who need it ?
AllYourBase (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 03:58:18 AM

Although there might not be enough market now, I anticipate there will be someday for bitcoin hostels.  Many current users are telecommuters from what I can tell, so offering short term accommodations for those with wanderlust could be viable.  I'd be interested in it, especially if it's economical. 

I've stayed in a couple of hostels in the US, and used hostelworld and hostelbookers to price others, and from what I can tell, it's drastically more expensive than anything I stayed at in Asia (even downtown in the large Asian cities). 

That's interesting about the applachian trail hostels; I'll have to read up about them. 
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 10:49:22 PM

Although there might not be enough market now, I anticipate there will be someday for bitcoin hostels.  Many current users are telecommuters from what I can tell, so offering short term accommodations for those with wanderlust could be viable.  I'd be interested in it, especially if it's economical. 

I've stayed in a couple of hostels in the US, and used hostelworld and hostelbookers to price others, and from what I can tell, it's drastically more expensive than anything I stayed at in Asia (even downtown in the large Asian cities). 

That's interesting about the applachian trail hostels; I'll have to read up about them. 

Are you going to hike in the US? Or just traveling in cities?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
AllYourBase (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 10:55:58 PM

Are you going to hike in the US? Or just traveling in cities?

Probably stick to cities since I need internet for work.  Camping, particularly out west is a great way to live on the cheap though.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 01:52:35 AM

not a hostel exactly, but take a look at couchsurfing.org

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
AllYourBase (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 02:29:27 AM

not a hostel exactly, but take a look at couchsurfing.org

Hmm, that's interesting.  I'll have to look into this more.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: