Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:41:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching wallets  (Read 1087 times)
FlutterPie (OP)

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:39:42 PM

I am changes what wallet I use after having a problem with armory. I now want to use electrum, but how do I get my balance from armory to electrum? I am unable to go into armory and send the coins to a new address.

So how can I do this?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:51:00 PM

I am changes what wallet I use after having a problem with armory. I now want to use electrum, but how do I get my balance from armory to electrum? I am unable to go into armory and send the coins to a new address.

So how can I do this?

Could you be a little more descriptive about your problem?   Can you not open Armory at all...or?
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:55:36 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=661035.msg7475797#msg7475797
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 06:46:35 AM

I think you can more your wallet.dat file to the new folder. Can someone more experienced confirm this?

DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 06:48:51 AM

I think you can more your wallet.dat file to the new folder. Can someone more experienced confirm this?
Yes this should work with no problem, or just click on backup wallet and then load it in another wallet.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 06:57:39 AM

yeah or just copy and paste it.
make sure you wait for bitcoin to fully close (check it in taskbar) otherwise you could corrupt it, I assume.. but better not test out the corruption thing ... just wait the extra few seconds for it to close properly.

Yes this should work with no problem, or just click on backup wallet and then load it in another wallet.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:05:10 AM

You described problem in too few words, because of that is hard to say.
Sending from one wallet client to another address on new client is easiest solution you are skipping whole importing/exporting process which looks often very diffirent on specific wallet software.
If you need specific guide about it let me know, i will try to search one or create one for you.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:36:04 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but I assumed an armoury wallet.dat file is a different format to an electrum wallet.dat or a bitcoin-qt wallet.dat.

You couldn't just copy it over and expect it to work with different software, right?

DubFX

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:48:07 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but I assumed an armoury wallet.dat file is a different format to an electrum wallet.dat or a bitcoin-qt wallet.dat.

You couldn't just copy it over and expect it to work with different software, right?

Oh i get it now.
I think that you can import it into electum with your private key but you should have copy of these keys as they won't become part of your electum seed.
But it's way better to send these coins to new address.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:53:57 AM

I'm not sure, I was asking based on my own assumption.

I assume that because these wallets work in a different way (some are deterministic, some use a copy of blockchain) then you couldn't just copy the wallet.dat to a different type of wallet and expect it to work. Am I right?

DubFX

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:05:46 AM

I'm not sure, I was asking based on my own assumption.

I assume that because these wallets work in a different way (some are deterministic, some use a copy of blockchain) then you couldn't just copy the wallet.dat to a different type of wallet and expect it to work. Am I right?

Yep it seems like that i could have thinked about it more and it does make a sense. OP may try if he wants but hope he won't forget to also backup that file otherwise if it wouldn't work or if it would damage the file he could loose all of his coins
Soappa

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:46:28 AM

So how can I do this?

So you cannot open the armory program, right?
Do you have the root key (similar to the wallet seed in Electrum)?

FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 06:41:25 PM

I still have no idea what to do. Armory is still screwed up for me, and I do not have access to my coins. I dont know how to go about moving my coins in armory to another wallet.

I like armory, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't do me much good.
JJB

Activity: 131

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 06:43:46 PM

Can you not just import the wallet? Do you have back-ups?
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 06:48:32 PM

Can you not just import the wallet? Do you have back-ups?

would anything here work?

JJB

Activity: 131

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 06:59:43 PM

You need the wallet.dat file. Search for that then import it into your new client and all your coins will be there.
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:02:46 PM

You need the wallet.dat file. Search for that then import it into your new client and all your coins will be there.

My wallet.dat is in the folder called bitcoin. It is not in armory at all. I tried to import the wallet.dat from the bitcoin folder in Electrum wallet, but it didnt work. Maybe I tried it the wrong way, I dont know.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:07:26 PM

Can you try open up the wallet and get at the private keys. You could import them that way.
FlutterPie (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:09:54 PM

Can you try open up the wallet and get at the private keys. You could import them that way.

I was just told that armory is not broken and my blockchain is corrupt or something. So I am rebuilding it now to see what happens.
cookmac

Activity: 152

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:28:31 PM

I thought sending bitcoin is the same for every wallet.. no?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: