Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:29:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How some services offer Bitcoin against credit card ?  (Read 2401 times)
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:48:01 AM

These sites must estimate the percentage of reversals they'll have.

Then add a premium price greater than that percentage.

Right. They do all the math and figure out the averages and what price they can sell the btc at and make profit. They just calculate the risk vs reward and deal with the chargebacks.

I wonder how big the market is for legitimate bitcoin buyers who purchase with their credit cards.

Probably big enough. The problem is there's no easy way distinguish them.

Because there is no easy way to distinguish the good buyers from the bad buyers, the people/exchanges accepting reversible payments need to charge a pretty high premium to off-set the risk, which IMO makes the market quite small (ie only those aiming to buy a little bitcoin will use paypal or credit cards).

Buying bitcoin via a credit card on one of these kinds of sites is kind of like using a faucet in a sense that it may be good to allow you to get try and see how bitcoin works but is an very bad deal for users if they use it over the long term. 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nagato4

Activity: 625
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 03:20:33 AM

Buying bitcoin via a credit card on one of these kinds of sites is kind of like using a faucet in a sense that it may be good to allow you to get try and see how bitcoin works but is an very bad deal for users if they use it over the long term. 

Pretty much so.
I don't think people will use the sites repeatedly, paying a high premium.

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:37:17 AM

Pretty much so.

So, in short, irreversible payment against irreversible payment is what makes both buyer & seller happy.

Buziss

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:29:21 AM

Pretty much so.

So, in short, irreversible payment against irreversible payment is what makes both buyer & seller happy.

Well the one sending first could still get scammed, so they still need an escrow.

Harley997

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:15:44 AM

Pretty much so.
Very much unlikely so, but if they for example took out a loan in BTC and need to pay back the loan in BTC then they may be a repeat user if this is the only way they can purchase bitcoin

PRIMEDICE
BigMac
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:47:55 AM

Pretty much so.
Very much unlikely so, but if they for example took out a loan in BTC and need to pay back the loan in BTC then they may be a repeat user if this is the only way they can purchase bitcoin

I don't think credit card would be the only way to buy bitcoin for many people.
People could choose from a bunch of exchanges if they don't mind verification, and they can use localbitcoins or bitcointalk to find people selling bitcoin.

Harley997

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 11:03:28 PM

Pretty much so.

I don't think credit card would be the only way to buy bitcoin for many people.
People could choose from a bunch of exchanges if they don't mind verification, and they can use localbitcoins or bitcointalk to find people selling bitcoin.
If someone were to have zero cash and their only source of credit would be their credit cards. This happens to more people then you would imagine.

PRIMEDICE
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 08:54:37 PM

These sites must estimate the percentage of reversals they'll have.

Then add a premium price greater than that percentage.

Right. They do all the math and figure out the averages and what price they can sell the btc at and make profit. They just calculate the risk vs reward and deal with the chargebacks.

I wonder how big the market is for legitimate bitcoin buyers who purchase with their credit cards.

I just read that Circle is selling Bitcoin against credit card at the market rate. Howz that possible ? Are not they exposing themselves to forgery ?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: