Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:28:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who needs anonymity?  (Read 1247 times)
technologible (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 07:47:39 PM

If you watch altcoins scene with some level of attention you probably have noticed that the latest fad is "anonymity". Every developer is trying to add some anonymous transaction functionality to his project, with varying degrees of  success. Actually the solutions are pretty sophisticated, it's definitely not "country coins"  marketing trick, it does provide some value. The question here is do you really need anonymous transactions that much?

In my opinion 99% of crypto users could care less about mixing their coins. Bitcoin transactions are very much anonymous now, at least way more anonymous than traditional e-currencies. It is more than sufficient for most users. Actually I can't think of any other use of anonymous transactions other than some shady dealings and wheelings (but they probably go mostly through Bitcoin anyway)

Probably you shouldn't bet on the long term success of coins where the only distinctive feature is anonymity (DRC etc.) The are having their day now, but their future will probably be rather bleak, as the present of county coins.

Am I missing something here? Do you need anonymity? Do you use it?
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:41:54 PM

If you watch altcoins scene with some level of attention you probably have noticed that the latest fad is "anonymity". Every developer is trying to add some anonymous transaction functionality to his project, with varying degrees of  success. Actually the solutions are pretty sophisticated, it's definitely not "country coins"  marketing trick, it does provide some value. The question here is do you really need anonymous transactions that much?

In my opinion 99% of crypto users could care less about mixing their coins. Bitcoin transactions are very much anonymous now, at least way more anonymous than traditional e-currencies. It is more than sufficient for most users. Actually I can't think of any other use of anonymous transactions other than some shady dealings and wheelings (but they probably go mostly through Bitcoin anyway)

Probably you shouldn't bet on the long term success of coins where the only distinctive feature is anonymity (DRC etc.) The are having their day now, but their future will probably be rather bleak, as the present of county coins.

Am I missing something here? Do you need anonymity? Do you use it?

I tend to agree with you...
For 99% of tx you don't care about anon (tacos, beer, cigs, etc)...
Or cannot have anon like real estate, cars, anything that needs to be registered.

So most ordinary people = Big Yawn

That's why I view the CNotes not as a currency, but as a secret vault...
The high-end rock solid CNotes will allow you to store wealth for years and decades...
Which is every bit as valuable as a "currency".   

So it doesn't matter is we have 10 or 100... wealth vaults will always have value.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:48:37 PM

Your right

there has only been one feature outside of btc that would change my mind, instant transactions, but bitpay have provided that solution (used it the other day great)

what most devs forget is I need a coin that has infrastructure, atm's, payment gateways, marketing, support,

can I also add a community that does not swear, attack other coins, cause fud,

I will not, nor ever invest in a coin where the community is causing issues for other users and members (this will be a new post now)

pull your head in

Grin
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 08:59:41 PM

There is enough anonymity if we use a new address for every transaction. We loose a fair bit of anonymity if we reuse addresses. I reuse addresses because I am too lazy to change address, and I have too few bitcoin to care. I can see some people would want full anonymity if they own a lot of bitcoin and their country imposed a tax on cryptos.
PL_CoinTrader

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:11:12 PM

I think it's all about black markets, tax evasion, drugs, silk road and others. People investing in anonymous cryptos because they hope that it will be adopted by criminals which could bring a lot of money into the crypto market. For me privacy is really very important but all these crypto investors are not investing because they think that innocent people would use these currencies in the future.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:11:33 PM

Generally speaking, I don't think anonymity would be that important to most people. I mean, why should it be? Those who it will appeal primarily to are those who are big on privacy/liberty/freedom and that sort of thing, and those making shady purchases.

And that said, BTC rose in value to a certain degree based on those shady purchases, so I wouldn't dismiss it as a factor in a coin's value. One may also view it as a differentiating factor with btc, so just the fact it's a different feature could add value. Sometimes it's not what you personally view as important with a coin, but what you think others will think. If enough out there think anonymity is a big deal, even if it may not be, it results in a higher valuation.

That doesn't mean coins that just came out, with no infrastructure besides some vague anonymity claims will amount to much. But I do think a couple of the anonymous coins can hold value for some time yet, primarily drk and maybe one of the cryptonote flavors.
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:50:09 PM

Mainstream does not care about anonymity just look at the success of Facebook or spyiphone. Also owning aon coins puts you straight in the spotlight for a closer look even if you not intend to avoid taxes or get illicit goods, Apple recently changed its stance on crytocoins and now allows apps for approved coins on its devices. If it would approve aons too would it make sense, after all its a contradiction  (oxy moron).
 Look what happend to bitcoins price once it broke free from the shady silk road dealings
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:54:07 PM

people can use anon platforms to move documents and receive payment for them. Some people value their privacy, especially if they live in countries where big brother is watching *cough*America*cough*.

Plenty of people will use these networks and these networks will be extremely valuable.

For everything else there is bitcoin.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:55:56 PM

I don't care about it at all. Plenty of others will.

I'm sure there are many businesses who don't want their finances to be publicly checkable, but I'm guessing most of their movements would be away from blockchains.

And full anonymity would be of interest to people in countries where the regimes are hostile to capital flight. Perhaps in the years to come it will be considerably easier to link BTC transactions to people.
El Dude

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 09:56:37 PM

Mainstream does not care about anonymity just look at the success of Facebook or spyiphone. Also owning aon coins puts you straight in the spotlight for a closer look even if you not intend to avoid taxes or get illicit goods, Apple recently changed its stance on crytocoins and now allows apps for approved coins on its devices. If it would approve aons too would it make sense, after all its a contradiction  (oxy moron).
 Look what happend to bitcoins price once it broke free from the shady silk road dealings

Also these anonymous currencies will never be accepted by major retailers.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
heskey

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:00:44 PM

Also these anonymous currencies will never be accepted by major retailers.
Is that relevant? Anonymity has a huge value due to the black market and the people who wants to be off the grid, that in itself should generate a market cap bigger than litecoin. Add to that the fact that investors and speculators will drive the price up even more. If you  want to buy stuff just exchange them to bitcoins.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:00:48 PM

funny thing is, someone just wrote something similar a few days ago

http://www.coinssource.com/anonymous-can-get/
RonTech

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:01:18 PM

Where it may not be important to the average person as mentioned it is HUGELY important to certain entities (from every end of the spectrum ) .     
darkota

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:47:55 PM

I don't care about it at all. Plenty of others will.

I'm sure there are many businesses who don't want their finances to be publicly checkable, but I'm guessing most of their movements would be away from blockchains.

And full anonymity would be of interest to people in countries where the regimes are hostile to capital flight. Perhaps in the years to come it will be considerably easier to link BTC transactions to people.

It is already VERY easy to link BTC transactions to people.

Bitcoin is so fucking transparent...its like wearing your bank statements, credit card info, social security number, on you so everyone can see. Thats how transparent bitcoin is.

Anyone who isnt a retard would want an anonymous coin.

mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:50:51 PM

had to do it again

people who want anonymity would not use facebook, google etc etc etc

does any anon altcoin users have facebook, twitter etc

Grin
darkota

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:43:59 AM

had to do it again

I don't know if you're trolling or naturally stupid.

You cannot compare Bitcoin to facebook. Facebook is 10000x more private than Bitcoin.

In facebook/google, it is OPTIONAL if you want to give your private information.

With bitcoin, it's not optional as everything is recorded in the blockchain for ALL to see. There's no hiding...idiot.

That's why we need anonymous coins, soon anonymity will be a standard thing in all coins.
mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 01:48:20 AM

had to do it again

You cannot compare Bitcoin to facebook. Facebook is 10000x more private than Bitcoin.

In facebook/google, it is OPTIONAL if you want to give your private information.

With bitcoin, it's not optional as everything is recorded in the blockchain for ALL to see. There's no hiding...idiot.

That's why we need anonymous coins, soon anonymity will be a standard thing in all coins.

naturally stupid. There's no hiding...idiot

really darkota, are you ok, theres no need for this, i am more than happy to discuss areas where i have been in error

i was not attacking anyone, thanks for confirming that to discuss issues with you results in this kind of harassment

Grin
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 01:52:50 AM

had to do it again

Dakota I hate to insult anyone personally and believe you should always play the ball and not the person, but you crossed from trolling to complete retard with this post  Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3FzVQi-R8
darkota

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 01:54:59 AM

had to do it again

naturally stupid. There's no hiding...idiot

really darkota, are you ok, theres no need for this, i am more than happy to discuss areas where i have been in error

i was not attacking anyone, thanks for confirming that to discuss issues with you results in this kind of harassment

Ok, I agree I went a little overboard with calling you a stupid, faggot, dumbass, piece of shit, idiot. BUT, I need an apology first for all the stupid ass comments you've made in this thread.
mymenace
Legendary

Smile

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:03:09 AM

had to do it again

Dakota I hate to insult anyone personally and believe you should always play the ball and not the person, but you crossed from trolling to complete retard with this post  Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3FzVQi-R8

I love this movie kelsey thanks for the reminder gonna watch now

Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: