Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:57:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think humans will eventually evolve into robots?  (Read 2941 times)
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 10:33:29 AM

Once they figure out how to fingerprint your consciousness with all your memories onto a hard-drive, they just transfer it to a robot body when you die. Human intelligence has a limit, the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics. In order for human intelligence to improve, you have to upgrade the hardware (brain). First they use supercomputers to figure things out, then they will start putting computers in our brains (cyborgs), the final step is completely becoming a computer. But what do the robots evolve into after that?

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 10:39:01 AM

It depends what you mean by robots. I don't think the human brain will adapt to the von neumann cycle or run an operating system itself.
Humans have still different needs than machines, in a way. I think machinery will be supplementary to our bodies.
The earliest sign of this are the spyware-contained smart phones.

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 10:51:59 AM

Robots can do our labourious work, but the "innovation" part of life still need a human brain. Humans have imagination and dreams. That is the driving force of innovations. As to our physical bodies, may be we can do without them in the future.
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 10:57:54 AM

The technological singularity is related to this idea; I really do think it is only a matter of time before we reach such a point and thus achieve functional immortality. At that time, humanity will finally be capable of traveling the stars (without the need for engines capable of pushing us close to or beyond (which is impossible based on known physics) the speed of light) because lifespans will be irrelevant and thus travel times inconsequential even if they stretch into the thousands of years.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 11:58:42 AM

Functionally or mechanically? Functionally, most people are already robotic. Mechanically, we have been working on that for a very long time, and each year we get closer.
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:03:48 PM

the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics.no.
lots of scientists understand quantum mechanics. nowadays, lots of grad students do too.
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:09:58 PM

Once they figure out how to fingerprint your consciousness with all your memories onto a hard-drive,...

This thesis assumes that human minds are really nothing more than sophisticated computers made of meat.

If that is true, Transhumanism will be an evolution of humans into something better.

If that is not true, Transhumanism could be a mortal threat to humanity.

We won't know until the technology develops enough to test it in the real world.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:10:59 PM

too many people watching too many movies, but the hollywood drive for man's technological leaps in the the future will be a bit chicken / egg, with new technology inspiring new movies, and new movies inspiring some people wanting to become robots
each year in the next million years some people who want to go down the robot route can get a bit more robotic if the technology is developed which it probably will be to a certain extent, a bit like robocop type technology but without the guns because guns will be banned

first of all there will be "robot suit" type options like exo-skeletons, such as in the spiderman movie with willem dafoe - green goblin, and in the aliens movie with sigourney weaver stuck in the big loader robot fighting the mother alien

then the human brain will be installed in to the small honda robot, *asimo and other bigger robots like in the transformer movies where you can transform into anything not just a truck or a car (also using nanobots like in *keanu reeves - the day the earth stood still).

if you have an accident in the future you might also wake up as a robot, depending how many bits you lost in the accident, and you would be given a few months to try it out if you like it, otherwise you could switch yourself off for a few years and may be try it again later

or robots will evolve into humans like robin williams in bicentennial man

*asimo - means advanced step in innovative mobility, which really is asiim - more of a hindu sounding name like aseem meaning limitless or endless, but is really a shortened version of (isaac) asimov 1920-1992 the first robot inventor

*keanu - means fresh air flowing over the mountains

sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:15:05 PM

the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics.no.
lots of scientists understand quantum mechanics. nowadays, lots of grad students do too.
They understand the basics, yes, but there are many things they cannot explain yet. They can't explain the double slit theory, quantum entanglement, what exactly a string is, etc. I've even heard a scientist say in an interview "no one really understands it."

The point being, will humans ever be smart enough to comprehend everything in the quantum world, and other dimensions, or will they have to use computers to comprehend that stuff for them?

It will be similar to how layman and scientist are now. We can't comprehend half of the stuff that scientists can but we trust their intelligence. If scientists use quantum supercomputers to figure things out, the supercomputers will become the new scientists, and the scientists will become the laymen. The next step in understanding is to mind meld with the computers.

Right now we use tools for understanding the universe - math, the scientific method. But what if we didn't have to use tools, the tools would be part of our brain that would calculate math and conduct experiments in real time? If they can make powerful enough supercomputers that do this, we would become the computer and be all knowing. Maybe they could even view the universe in all dimensions.

Actually - fuck computers, if computers are so advance maybe they can figure out a way to make biological brains that operate faster than supercomputers. Brains that operate on the quantum level!?

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 12:36:05 PM

One of the theories I've heard is that our consciousness is rooted in quantum states, so as far as the end of your post goes ("brains that operate on the quantum level"), that might just be ... The brain.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 03:42:39 PM

Once they figure out how to fingerprint your consciousness with all your memories onto a hard-drive, they just transfer it to a robot body when you die. Human intelligence has a limit, the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics. In order for human intelligence to improve, you have to upgrade the hardware (brain). First they use supercomputers to figure things out, then they will start putting computers in our brains (cyborgs), the final step is completely becoming a computer. But what do the robots evolve into after that?

Although animé may not be your cup of tea (guessing, not sure), you should definitely check out the movies/tv shows called Ghost in the Shell. They are dealing with exactly what you are describing. Some episodes are really digging deep into thinking what it means to simply "be".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_shell

Hmm.. Not on netflix as of right now.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 04:03:42 PM

We may not have to wait too long...

Dawn of bionic age? Paralysed man becomes first to use power of thought to move hand
Ohio doctors insert microchip into Ian Burkhart’s brain allowing him to move hand for first time since accident

A young American paralysed in a swimming accident has become the first patient to move his hand using the power of thought after doctors inserted a microchip into his brain.
Ian Burkhart was able to open and close his fist and even pick up a spoon during the first test of the chip, giving hope to millions of accident victims and stroke sufferers of a new bionic era of movement through thought.
Onlookers described the moment he was able to move by the sheer force of concentration as like watching “science fiction come true”.

Doctors at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center created the “Neurobridge” technology, whereby a microchip reads patients’ thoughts in order to replace signals no longer transmitted by their broken bodies, in conjunction with engineers from Battelle, a non-profit research centre.

While doctors have seen some success in recent years in getting stroke victims to manoeuvre robotic arms using their thoughts, Mr Burkhart is the first to move his own body.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10923751/Dawn-of-bionic-age-Paralysed-man-becomes-first-to-use-power-of-thought-to-move-hand.html

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 04:44:27 PM

The majority are already walking meat puppets, the only thing that will change is there will be more synthetic components.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 04:47:13 PM

This is easy to answer.

What we will evolve into is unthinkable.
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 04:48:46 PM

What if we already are robots?
What if the conversion happened without us noticing it?
All that medicine doctors give you when you are sick, or whatever.

Maybe we already are robots!

But all joking aside I don't think there will ever be a straight conversion, I think people would have the choice whether or not to go the way of the "borg". Or maybe they won't have a decision, the way the country is going we might have free will or choice in a few years!

What else could I say?
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 05:08:00 PM

But all joking aside I don't think there will ever be a straight conversion, I think people would have the choice whether or not to go the way of the "borg". Or maybe they won't have a decision, the way the country is going we might have free will or choice in a few years!

Once Quantum Biology becomes reality, your prescription could simply be emailed/streamed to you as binary codes, not chemically based, perfectly matching your unique "DNA Platform". Prescription or even body enhancement, fixing bones with minimum external aggressive solutions would then be a reality, even skipping a need for becoming a robot.  Obviously by that time, a computer virus could also hold your heart as hostage while you try to pay that hacker from eastern europe 1.5 bitcoins to get that key to release it...

http://youtu.be/Z_KI9sjyVIQ

ChiliPowder

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:29:41 AM

Like the Matrix

I feel that by the time we can put your brain on a hard drive, we will probably be making our own brains and organs.

Maybe put you in a robot if your get to injured to survive.

But yea I think there will be a time when we can grow kindeys or instantly cure cancer. Allthough I also believe that something new and better will wipe everyone out like CanAids or a futurestic plague or asteroid.

Also your brain is in your body your head, I feel without actually putting your physical brain into the robot  it will not be you. It will only be a robot with your memories , ambitions, personality and emotions but it will not be you it will be a computer/robot like you.

bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:01:31 AM

I feel that by the time we can put your brain on a hard drive, we will probably be making our own brains and organs.

So here's an interesting question: If we erase your brain and copy the brain data of sana8410 into yours. Then who are you?

If this could work, travelling would be so much faster. One could do an exchange, where two people switch brain data over the internet. Question is, if the brain data copied into the other person is not you - or your own brain is erased from the host body - then who are you?

dadugan

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:16:10 AM

So here's an interesting question: If we erase your brain and copy the brain data of sana8410 into yours. Then who are you?

If this could work, travelling would be so much faster. One could do an exchange, where two people switch brain data over the internet. Question is, if the brain data copied into the other person is not you - or your own brain is erased from the host body - then who are you?

Research should be done to keep the brain to live forever. We can use various robotic components to replace other organs and sensors.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:15:39 AM

Yep.

Stargate: Universe - How Communication Stones works

http://youtu.be/U0kJ3o72vGQ

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: