Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:24:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think humans will eventually evolve into robots?  (Read 2941 times)
wenben

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:05:30 AM

What if we already are robots?
What if the conversion happened without us noticing it?
All that medicine doctors give you when you are sick, or whatever.

Maybe we already are robots!

But all joking aside I don't think there will ever be a straight conversion, I think people would have the choice whether or not to go the way of the "borg". Or maybe they won't have a decision, the way the country is going we might have free will or choice in a few years!
I feel that by the time we can put your brain on a hard drive, we will probably be making our own brains and organs.

So here's an interesting question: If we erase your brain and copy the brain data of sana8410 into yours. Then who are you?

If this could work, travelling would be so much faster. One could do an exchange, where two people switch brain data over the internet. Question is, if the brain data copied into the other person is not you - or your own brain is erased from the host body - then who are you?

Yep.

Stargate: Universe - How Communication Stones works

http://youtu.be/U0kJ3o72vGQ

Stargate is fiction. Even if the communication stones become reality one day, most people here will be long gone by then.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:06:27 AM

Humans are already robots.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 04:57:01 AM

What if we already are robots?
What if the conversion happened without us noticing it?
All that medicine doctors give you when you are sick, or whatever.

Maybe we already are robots!

But all joking aside I don't think there will ever be a straight conversion, I think people would have the choice whether or not to go the way of the "borg". Or maybe they won't have a decision, the way the country is going we might have free will or choice in a few years!
I feel that by the time we can put your brain on a hard drive, we will probably be making our own brains and organs.

So here's an interesting question: If we erase your brain and copy the brain data of sana8410 into yours. Then who are you?

If this could work, travelling would be so much faster. One could do an exchange, where two people switch brain data over the internet. Question is, if the brain data copied into the other person is not you - or your own brain is erased from the host body - then who are you?

Yep.

Stargate: Universe - How Communication Stones works

http://youtu.be/U0kJ3o72vGQ

Stargate is fiction. Even if the communication stones become reality one day, most people here will be long gone by then.

You should pay more attention to what premise I was replying to with an example of this idea being already developed.
Also the question "Do you think humans will eventually evolve into robots?" does not have a time table and can be categorized under the SciFi subgenre called social science fiction:
Social science fiction is a subgenre of science fiction concerned less with technology and space opera and more with speculation about human society. In other words, it "absorbs and discusses anthropology", and speculates about human behavior and interactions.

Exploration of fictional societies is a significant aspect of science fiction, allowing it to perform predictive (The Time Machine (1895); The Final Circle of Paradise, 1965) and precautionary (Brave New World, 1932; Nineteen Eighty-Four, 1949; Childhood's End, Fahrenheit 451, 1953) functions, to criticize the contemporary world ( Gulliver's Travels, 1726; Antarctica-online) and to present solutions (Walden Two), to portray alternative societies (World of the Noon) and to examine the implications of ethical principles (the works of Sergei Lukyanenko).

Most people here, including you, will be long gone by then before getting the answer, but in the mid time, before our death it is fun to participate in this thread, don't you think?  Smiley

fdiini

Activity: 167

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:21:17 PM

Technology singularity might happen before we are dead. If it does, immortality is not out of the question.
ChiliPowder

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:44:42 PM

Technology singularity might happen before we are dead. If it does, immortality is not out of the question.

You can allways freeze yourself if not.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:47:48 PM

Immortality? No one wants a thread like this to last forever...  Grin

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 06:22:46 PM

Once they figure out how to fingerprint your consciousness with all your memories onto a hard-drive, they just transfer it to a robot body when you die. Human intelligence has a limit, the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics. In order for human intelligence to improve, you have to upgrade the hardware (brain). First they use supercomputers to figure things out, then they will start putting computers in our brains (cyborgs), the final step is completely becoming a computer. But what do the robots evolve into after that?

After I watched Avatar I was tripping about this idea hard.  I think it is very possible and will happen.  I have a hunch the purpose of life(not ours life in general) is to reach a point of immoratlity.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 06:35:45 PM

Once they figure out how to fingerprint your consciousness with all your memories onto a hard-drive, they just transfer it to a robot body when you die. Human intelligence has a limit, the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics. In order for human intelligence to improve, you have to upgrade the hardware (brain). First they use supercomputers to figure things out, then they will start putting computers in our brains (cyborgs), the final step is completely becoming a computer. But what do the robots evolve into after that?

After I watched Avatar I was tripping about this idea hard.  I think it is very possible and will happen.  I have a hunch the purpose of life(not ours life in general) is to reach a point of immoratlity.

I believe the purpose of our consciousness is to reach a point of "ultimate knowledge" some time in the future. Life ceases to have any meaning without death.

joeventyra

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 06:47:33 PM

Too much thinking. If there is no thinking about it there won't be ideas about creating something like that.
With your statement you are basically encouraging people with scientific conscience to think about this and eventually to create something of this.

Crypto world is on the way to eruption.
Triffin

Activity: 952
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 07:30:15 PM

Singularity discussions here ..

http://www.kurzweilai.net/blog

Triff ..

unpure

Activity: 169

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:11:23 PM

I believe the purpose of our consciousness is to reach a point of "ultimate knowledge" some time in the future. Life ceases to have any meaning without death.

Life is meaningless if it will cease to exists one day.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:15:55 PM

Life is meaningless if it will cease to exists one day.

Life can still exist without consciousness. Can the other way be true?

Korb

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 09:47:25 PM

I agree completely.
bitsmichel

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

I agree completely.

Humans behave very much like machines. You could create a probabilistic model for a day of human life, and find out that it pretty much matches it - most of the time  Smiley

boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:51:18 AM

I agree completely.

Humans behave very much like machines. You could create a probabilistic model for a day of human life, and find out that it pretty much matches it - most of the time  Smiley

Hence the question on the meaning of life finally have an answer. There is no purpose.
taipo

Activity: 238

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 08:26:14 AM

All I need scientists to do is figure out this time travel thing. That will go a long way to solving my problem of always being late for work.

Support the two platforms essential to protecting the identities of whistleblowers. Both accept bitcoin donations.
https://globaleaks.org - GlobalLeaks ( btc: see http://goo.gl/D5wM0L )
http://goo.gl/sZg2RN  - SecureDrop: whistleblower submission system
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:04:43 PM

One of the theories I've heard is that our consciousness is rooted in quantum states, so as far as the end of your post goes ("brains that operate on the quantum level"), that might just be ... The brain.
Remove time, and there is no meaning to distance. Imagine afterlife like this. How can a linear soul or whatever function in a nonlinear place or whatever?
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:07:17 PM

rather than get too fancy with super brains and computers, first of all it is just a matter of getting a half decent robot prototype like asimo that can run about and maybe climb and stuff, then sticking a man's brain into it, that controls it properly, without the brain being rejected

this is still too advanced for the boffins yet, so they may have to start with a whole man's head and spinal column, lungs, heart and all the basics, to get a functional crossbred robot / man type combination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASIMO

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:13:07 PM

the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics.no.
lots of scientists understand quantum mechanics. nowadays, lots of grad students do too.
They understand the basics, yes, but there are many things they cannot explain yet. They can't explain the double slit theory, quantum entanglement, what exactly a string is, etc. I've even heard a scientist say in an interview "no one really understands it."

The point being, will humans ever be smart enough to comprehend everything in the quantum world, and other dimensions, or will they have to use computers to comprehend that stuff for them?

It will be similar to how layman and scientist are now. We can't comprehend half of the stuff that scientists can but we trust their intelligence. If scientists use quantum supercomputers to figure things out, the supercomputers will become the new scientists, and the scientists will become the laymen. The next step in understanding is to mind meld with the computers.

Right now we use tools for understanding the universe - math, the scientific method. But what if we didn't have to use tools, the tools would be part of our brain that would calculate math and conduct experiments in real time? If they can make powerful enough supercomputers that do this, we would become the computer and be all knowing. Maybe they could even view the universe in all dimensions.

Actually - fuck computers, if computers are so advance maybe they can figure out a way to make biological brains that operate faster than supercomputers. Brains that operate on the quantum level!?

They understand the basics, yes, but there are many things they cannot explain yet. They can't explain the double slit theory, quantum entanglement, what exactly a string is, etc. I've even heard a scientist say in an interview "no one really understands it."
that was just feynman being feynman. it's pop-science BS though. We understand quantum mechanics the same amount we understand newtonian mechanics. It's a mathematical structure that describes (really fucking well) the dynamics of certain things. If you understand the math, that's all there is to understand.
The point being, will humans ever be smart enough to comprehend everything in the quantum world, and other dimensions, or will they have to use computers to comprehend that stuff for them?

It will be similar to how layman and scientist are now. We can't comprehend half of the stuff that scientists can but we trust their intelligence. If scientists use quantum supercomputers to figure things out, the supercomputers will become the new scientists, and the scientists will become the laymen. The next step in understanding is to mind meld with the computers.

no, science is about inference, not computation. There's no reason to think that a quantum computer will be better at inference than a human will be. though i'm sure inference algorithms will one day be up to the task, but that has nothing to do with computational power, and has much more to do with developing new algorithms.

Right now we use tools for understanding the universe - math, the scientific method. But what if we didn't have to use tools, the tools would be part of our brain that would calculate math and conduct experiments in real time? If they can make powerful enough supercomputers that do this, we would become the computer and be all knowing. Maybe they could even view the universe in all dimensions.

Actually - fuck computers, if computers are so advance maybe they can figure out a way to make biological brains that operate faster than supercomputers. Brains that operate on the quantum level!?
sounds like you are just throwing out a bunch of lingo and smashing it together, without really having much understanding about what those words mean.
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:21:38 PM

back in the 1960's and 70's predictions about where we would be in 20 to 40 years by the turn of the millennium were portrayed in films like 2001 a space odyssey and many others

truth turned out that we made shit slow progress in space and with fuck all money, won't be doing much significant for the future yet

same with robots, don't hold yer breath for much happening in the next 30 or so years up to 2050, it won't be like it currently is in Hollywood films about all the robot shit

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: