Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:46:57 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think humans will eventually evolve into robots?  (Read 2945 times)
noviapriani

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:27:50 PM

back in the 1960's and 70's predictions about where we would be in 20 to 40 years by the turn of the millennium were portrayed in films like 2001 a space odyssey and many others

truth turned out that we made shit slow progress in space and with fuck all money, won't be doing much significant for the future yet

same with robots, don't hold yer breath for much happening in the next 30 or so years up to 2050, it won't be like it currently is in Hollywood films about all the robot shit
yeah humanity will probably die out sooner than things will become like they are in movies. If not then I'm talking about 1 billion + years in the future. read some kurzweil, it's good stuff .

Triffin

Activity: 952
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:18:32 PM

I think 'robot' is the wrong term ..

Bionic or bio-hybrid might be closer to it ..
We're seeing it now what with artificial hips and knees etc ..
Organ and limb replacements will increase over time ..
The uber wealthy will do anything to keep their brains alive ..
Human brain with the normal blood/plasma in an entirely artificial body ..
Transhumanism here we come ..

Triff .. who won't make it to the 'singularity' .. too old .. Sad

Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:27:14 PM

Some of humans will eventually evolve into god-like creatures. The rest of them will kill each other or fall into another remake of the Middle Ages. Roll Eyes
bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:34:46 PM

I think 'robot' is the wrong term ..

Bionic or bio-hybrid might be closer to it ..
We're seeing it now what with artificial hips and knees etc ..
Organ and limb replacements will increase over time ..
The uber wealthy will do anything to keep their brains alive ..
Human brain with the normal blood/plasma in an entirely artificial body ..
Transhumanism here we come ..

Triff .. who won't make it to the 'singularity' .. too old .. Sad

You are right about artificial tools inside the human body.
Living forever may not be a pleasure.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:24:31 AM

Once they figure out how to fingerprint your consciousness with all your memories onto a hard-drive, they just transfer it to a robot body when you die. Human intelligence has a limit, the smartest scientists in the world can barely understand quantum mechanics. In order for human intelligence to improve, you have to upgrade the hardware (brain). First they use supercomputers to figure things out, then they will start putting computers in our brains (cyborgs), the final step is completely becoming a computer. But what do the robots evolve into after that?

After I watched Avatar I was tripping about this idea hard.  I think it is very possible and will happen.  I have a hunch the purpose of life(not ours life in general) is to reach a point of immoratlity.

I believe the purpose of our consciousness is to reach a point of "ultimate knowledge" some time in the future. Life ceases to have any meaning without death.

Life is meaningless if it will cease to exists one day.

Life can still exist without consciousness. Can the other way be true?

I believe you are mistaken with the premise that life creates consciousness.  Consciousness creates life.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:50:25 AM

back in the 1960's and 70's predictions about where we would be in 20 to 40 years by the turn of the millennium were portrayed in films like 2001 a space odyssey and many others

truth turned out that we made shit slow progress in space and with fuck all money, won't be doing much significant for the future yet

same with robots, don't hold yer breath for much happening in the next 30 or so years up to 2050, it won't be like it currently is in Hollywood films about all the robot shit

Most of the resources in the last 3-4 decades went into "financial innovation". It turned out most of it is horseshit.

Hopefully, same mistake won't be repeated again and true innovation will come from something that will improve the quality of life and solve existing global issues.

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:10:26 AM

One of the theories I've heard is that our consciousness is rooted in quantum states, so as far as the end of your post goes ("brains that operate on the quantum level"), that might just be ... The brain.
there's zero evidence for this idea. it's a hack idea.

yes and in a short amount of time. read some kurzweil, it's good stuff
just don't listen to anything he has to say about biological brains. he doesn't know what he's talking about on that subject.
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:13:21 AM

One of the theories I've heard is that our consciousness is rooted in quantum states, so as far as the end of your post goes ("brains that operate on the quantum level"), that might just be ... The brain.

just don't listen to anything he has to say about biological brains. he doesn't know what he's talking about on that subject.
Someone tried peddling this shit at Beyond Belief and got ripped to shreds during Q&A. It was awesome but also makes you feel embarrassed for the guy because you can tell he wasn't expecting it.
He must have thought he was at a TED conference.

Rigon

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:16:34 AM

Someone tried peddling this shit at Beyond Belief and got ripped to shreds during Q&A. It was awesome but also makes you feel embarrassed for the guy because you can tell he wasn't expecting it.
was it stuart hammeroff? that guy wouldn't shut the fuck up at one of the conferences I went to, and I ended up having a 15 minute conversation with him during the poster session. conclusion: the guy is fucking crazy.
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:18:56 AM

was it stuart hammeroff? that guy wouldn't shut the fuck up at one of the conferences I went to, and I ended up having a 15 minute conversation with him during the poster session. conclusion: the guy is fucking crazy.
It sure was!Lawrence Krauss is the first to respond: "From a physics perspective, everything you've said is complete nonsense, and maybe I'm being too polite. [...] We can talk about it later, but you're just wrong. Skip to ~23min for Q&A (the video is a couple hours because it has multiple speakers; Hammeroff is the first one, though).
That was actually a lot more tame than how I remembered it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMq7AkUnc4w

Rigon

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:21:46 AM

It sure was!Lawrence Krauss is the first to respond: "From a physics perspective, everything you've said is complete nonsense, and maybe I'm being too polite. [...] We can talk about it later, but you're just wrong. Skip to ~23min for Q&A (the video is a couple hours because it has multiple speakers; Hammeroff is the first one, though).
That was actually a lot more tame than how I remembered it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMq7AkUnc4w
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:24:01 AM

They understand the basics, yes, but there are many things they cannot explain yet. They can't explain the double slit theory, quantum entanglement, what exactly a string is, etc. I've even heard a scientist say in an interview "no one really understands it."
It's always cute when the ignorant defend their statements.

Quantum mechanics is, simply put, a list of postulates and the set of mathematics that plays by those rules.

Your idea is an interesting one. If I want to get all philosophical and what not; Even if you could download your entire body particle by particle into a computer and run a simulation it would still just be a simulation. Your conscious and its "conscious" are then separate entities. (never mind that there are physical limitations on even quantum computing that make computers able to do such a thing physically unreasonable) As soon as you hit run.exe and it "comes to life" your experiences and its experiences become separate and, therefore, it is not an extension of you, it is a clone of you that will in time become entirely different from you.

Now, on a positive note. If we could create a computer which could not only store conscious knowledge but also replicate biological organisms...then you'd have your intergalactic procreation.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:30:27 AM

They understand the basics, yes, but there are many things they cannot explain yet. They can't explain the double slit theory, quantum entanglement, what exactly a string is, etc. I've even heard a scientist say in an interview "no one really understands it."

Quantum mechanics is, simply put, a list of postulates and the set of mathematics that plays by those rules.

Your idea is an interesting one. If I want to get all philosophical and what not; Even if you could download your entire body particle by particle into a computer and run a simulation it would still just be a simulation. Your conscious and its "conscious" are then separate entities. (never mind that there are physical limitations on even quantum computing that make computers able to do such a thing physically unreasonable) As soon as you hit run.exe and it "comes to life" your experiences and its experiences become separate and, therefore, it is not an extension of you, it is a clone of you that will in time become entirely different from you.

Now, on a positive note. If we could create a computer which could not only store conscious knowledge but also replicate biological organisms...then you'd have your intergalactic procreation.
How is quantum entanglement explained?How is double slit theory explained?Unless I am mistaken, scientist are still trying to fully understand these things.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:34:15 AM

How is quantum entanglement explained?How is double slit theory explained?Unless I am mistaken, scientist are still trying to fully understand these things.
double slit experiment is as understood in the same way that anything that follows F=ma is. You quite literally will learn about it, and go through it in detail, in either the first or second day of basically any intro QM course.

I know what you are getting at. You are just using the word "understand" in some meaningless abstract way that doesn't correspond to what the word means in practice by scientists. Understand just means, really, that you have a mathematical structure that is one-to-one with measurable physical phenomenon, and there is absolute no mathematical structure, not F=ma, not relativity, not string theory, that is anywhere near as good as showing that its structure is really truly one-to-one with measurable physical phenomenon as QM is.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:38:58 AM

double slit experiment is as understood in the same way that anything that follows F=ma is. You quite literally will learn about it, and go through it in detail, in either the first or second day of basically any intro QM course.

I know what you are getting at. You are just using the word "understand" in some meaningless abstract way that doesn't correspond to what the word means in practice by scientists. Understand just means, really, that you have a mathematical structure that is one-to-one with measurable physical phenomenon, and there is absolute no mathematical structure, not F=ma, not relativity, not string theory, that is anywhere near as good as showing that its structure is really truly one-to-one with measurable physical phenomenon as QM is.
I've looked online for explanations of quantum entanglement, all I can find are different theories. Explain to me how one particle can have the same properties of the other particle even if they are on opposite sides of the planet.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:44:12 AM

I've looked online for explanations of quantum entanglement, all I can find are different theories. Explain to me how one particle can have the same properties of the other particle even if they are on opposite sides of the planet.
first off, it would be difficult to set up entangled particles on opposite sides of the planet. second off, there's not much to explain, all it is is two particles whose states cannot be decomposed into two independent spaces which can be outer producted to get the composite hilbert space.

if you don't understand those mathematical concepts then you don't understand entanglement. but once you do, then you know everything there is to know about it.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:53:12 AM

Entanglement is a result of two particles being part of the same wave function.

Double slit isn't a theory, it's an experiment. An experiment explained by treating particles as wave packets instead of point masses or waves.

You're barking up the wrong tree. Entanglement and the double slit experiment are phenomena that were predicted by the mathematics. The fact that they are real an observable only gives merit to QM, not the other way around. If you want to discredit QM or otherwise say "we dont know it all" you would use examples like the lack of a quantum explanation for gravity. However, that would be unfair because proofing why things have mass took a project as big as the LHC. Proofing the explanation for things with mass being attracted to other things with mass will take much more time, money, and even larger instruments.

I'm not saying QM is perfect, I'm saying you're ignorant. The uncertainty principle is very real, insurmountable, and tells us it is impossible to perfectly model an existing system concurrently.

Just like we will never disprove F=ma...
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:04:14 AM

so what if we just started out a bit more simpler, with putting on a robot like helmet and making robot like movements ?...or just buy an inflatable sex doll.

googie4

Activity: 300

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:26:08 PM

No. Humans aren't smart enough to even begin to make such a robot.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:27:10 PM

It is infinity.  Infinite dimensions everywhere.  All that could ever be imagined is constantly happening right where you are.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: