Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:54:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US lawyers float Facebook Credits antitrust suit  (Read 3766 times)
Baltar (OP)
VIP

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

I had Lucifer reprogrammed

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 10:36:35 PM

Any Facebook game developers on here looking to force Facebook to allow Bitcoin?

--

US attorneys are trying to drum up interest in a potential case against Facebook, claiming its Credits virtual currency is breaking US antitrust law.

The firm, Newman DuWors, has thrown up the site Stopfacebookcredits.com to attract game developers and providers of virtual currencies who believe their businesses have been or are being damaged by Facebook Credits.

Newman DuWors hopes to bring either a single or a class-action against Facebook under the US Sherman Act that saw Microsoft prosecuted during the 1990s. Derek Newman with the firm told The Reg on Monday that he hopes somebody who’s been put out of business by Facebook Credits will come forward who he can represent.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/27/facebook_stop_facebook_credits/

http://stopfacebookcredits.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 11:19:18 PM

Interesting: thanks for bringing this up.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:23:27 PM

Antitrust law is so absurd. Nobody is forced to use Facebook, not the users nor the developers. Anyone who complains about Facebook Credits on the basis of "monopoly" is a sniveling whiny bitch imo Smiley

Facebook should do whatever the heck they want with their own money. And the same freedom that protects their right to do so is the same freedom which protects our right to do whatever we want with Bitcoin.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:39:10 PM

Antitrust law is so absurd. Nobody is forced to use Windows, not the users nor the developers. Anyone who complains about Windows on the basis of "monopoly" is a sniveling whiny bitch imo Smiley

Microsoft should do whatever the heck they want with their own software. And the same freedom that protects their right to do so is the same freedom which protects our right to do whatever we want with Bitcoin.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:46:51 PM

Antitrust law is so absurd. Nobody is forced to use Windows, not the users nor the developers. Anyone who complains about Windows on the basis of "monopoly" is a sniveling whiny bitch imo Smiley

Microsoft should do whatever the heck they want with their own software. And the same freedom that protects their right to do so is the same freedom which protects our right to do whatever we want with Bitcoin.
+1. Those suits against MS were utterly retarded. If I want to install Chrome, FF, Safari, or whatever else, I'm quite capable of doing so.

(... Tongue)

Anyhoo, good luck Facebook. (rather, I hope they win in court... not fond of Facebook.)
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:53:05 PM

This is nothing more than a creative approach from a firm of blood-sucking leeches trying to create an issue so they can screw a settlement out of FB (which I detest by the way.) The endgame for this frivolous lawsuit will be a nice fat settlement for the firm based on pumped up fees, a few coins for the token class representative for the syuit, who we will eventually learn is related to the law firm suing, and nothing but a lot more hot air.
vampire

Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:57:58 PM

I'm quite capable of doing so.

The other folks aren't that advanced :-)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 08:00:28 PM

Perhaps there should be a law that all literature must be written using only 2nd grade English, so that it's accessible to everyone.
LoupGaroux

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 08:09:18 PM

Perhaps there should be a law that all literature must be written using only 2nd grade English, so that it's accessible to everyone.

Or just drown all stupid people. Imagine a world where the lowest common denominator is constantly rising!
Serenata

Activity: 250

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 12:03:49 PM

What I see positive about this, is that since FB has its own "currency" and the State(s) don't have any issues with that, then it would be tough to "forbid" the use of Bitcoin in the future. Or at least without doing the same to other virtual currencies....

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2012, 02:19:24 PM

What I see positive about this, is that since FB has its own "currency" and the State(s) don't have any issues with that, then it would be tough to "forbid" the use of Bitcoin in the future. Or at least without doing the same to other virtual currencies....

Facebook has obtained MSB licenses or something like that in several states.  So I think your conclusion is not based on correct facts / observations and or may be incorrect.

Please do some more research before making such conclusions.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Serenata

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 09:11:22 AM

Facebook has obtained MSB licenses or something like that in several states.  So I think your conclusion is not based on correct facts / observations and or may be incorrect.
That's what the forum is all about. Discussing, exchanging opinions and correcting each other.  If we were able to check all possible implications of our thoughts, then we would not need to discuss anything. Please note that I don't live in the States or anywhere near...

My GPG Key
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
April 07, 2012, 10:06:57 AM

I was developing a 2d shooter mmo game for facebook that would use bitcoin but I stopped developing it due to the fact that "facebook credits only" policy was announced..
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 11:40:47 AM

That's what the forum is all about. Discussing, exchanging opinions and correcting each other.  If we were able to check all possible implications of our thoughts, then we would not need to discuss anything. Please note that I don't live in the States or anywhere near...

Sorry, my response was not very nice.  Please see here for a discussion on the licenses Facebook has been gobbling up in the States.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64326.0

You'll want to be clear which country you're talking about when discussing legality.  I guess I assumed this was in regards to the US because it was in a topic labelled "US lawyers..."

I'm not lawyer, but I'm trying to reach out to a recently barred old college buddy to see if he's interested in helping me research bitcoin legal issues.

ciao

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Serenata

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2012, 07:39:46 PM

Sorry, my response was not very nice.  Please see here for a discussion on the licenses Facebook has been gobbling up in the States.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64326.0

You'll want to be clear which country you're talking about when discussing legality.  I guess I assumed this was in regards to the US because it was in a topic labelled "US lawyers..."

I'm not lawyer, but I'm trying to reach out to a recently barred old college buddy to see if he's interested in helping me research bitcoin legal issues.

ciao

Thank you for the link! You were right though, there were things that I wasn't aware of (like the need for this MSB license), thus I made wrong assumptions Sad Btw, I live in Greece, and I'm curious to find out if such a license is needed in my country as well....

My GPG Key
PawShaker

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:02:28 PM

Antitrust law is so absurd. Nobody is forced to use Facebook, not the users nor the developers. Anyone who complains about Facebook Credits on the basis of "monopoly" is a sniveling whiny bitch imo Smiley

Facebook should do whatever the heck they want with their own money. And the same freedom that protects their right to do so is the same freedom which protects our right to do whatever we want with Bitcoin.

I cannot agree that antitrust laws are absurd. The problem with FB "monopoly" is that they force people, who use one service, to use partcular brand of another service. If you have large market share in on service, you use it to lock your users to your brand in another service. Well competition goes out thrugh the window.

Who has more rights to do with their money as they please: FB or FB users?

1FQkH63k6hkexFMTRzLtJEE6ZAaTBRhjiS
Dutch Merganser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2012, 10:18:10 PM

Facebook must die, it is one of the greatest threats to personal privacy and freedom worldwide today.

Warriors against Facebook, know that this is jihad, take no prisoners. Destroying the enemy is an act of mercy, so be merciful.

"Science flies you to the Moon, religion flies you into buildings."
 - Victor Stenger

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and the rulers as useful."
 - Seneca the Elder (ca. 54 BCE - ca. 39 CE) Roman rhetorician
Big Time Coin

Activity: 332

View Profile
April 11, 2012, 03:39:08 PM

+1. Those suits against MS were utterly retarded. If I want to install Chrome, FF, Safari, or whatever else, I'm quite capable of doing so.

(... Tongue)

Anyhoo, good luck Facebook. (rather, I hope they win in court... not fond of Facebook.)

Because part of the settlement against Microsoft is that they allow other browsers to be compatible with Windows.

And antitrust is one of the very few things people actually need government for, to maintain a free market.  Even very hardcore libertarians will admit the need to break up monopolies.  I'm a bit surprised that you seem unaware of this, ev.

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2012, 09:41:14 AM

http://finextra.com/News/Fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=23823

"Facebook is to abandon its Credits virtual currency platform in favour of a system which allows developers to be paid in a local currency of their choosing."

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 12:38:02 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2012, 05:05:17 AM by beckspace

Even very hardcore libertarians will admit the need to break up monopolies.

Not me. Freedom > Justice.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: