Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:45:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinReturn - Discussion of Current Issues and Possible Future Actions  (Read 6074 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
SamboNZ (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:14:48 AM

So I heard back from the PI today:

Hello Sam,
The DMV has nothing at all on this person by name, not a single trace of a record whatsoever.   The license photo you sent looks real to me, but it may be fake?

I spoke to someone in enforcement at the DMV and the only thing they could do is "take it from there" if I bring a copy of this to them. We will not hear anything and by my experience there is likely very little they will do.

This guy is a ghost...but the license looks real......

Let me know what you would like to do next.  I am willing to bet that a visit to that address results in nobody knowing this guy, but that would seem like the next logical step.

So, that pretty much clinches it then; this license is a fake and is proof that this was a scam from the start.

For what it's worth, I have posted a copy of the license below.  I apologize for the poor quality of the image.  When I originally negotiated with 'Tom' for him to reveal some form of official ID to me.  He was extremely reluctant to do so (sighting fears that the SEC could somehow get hold of it - however remote the chance), so as part of the concessions on my part, I told him that he could obfuscate any detail he liked other than his name and address and that I would securely delete the file after I had viewed it - which I did.  However, before I deleted it I printed it off on a laser printer (in hindsight I should have printed it on a higher quality printer, however, I was not expecting any issues and only printed it off as a 'just in case').  The image you have is a scan of the B&W laser print of the photo that Tom sent me of his DL - hence the quality issues.

So I am going to call the PI in the next couple of days to discuss the whole situation and get his views on what we can do from here, but TBH, I think they've got away with it clean.  I still have a couple of minor leads to chase up, but I don't hold much hope of those getting me anywhere.

To 'Tom' & 'Jeff' et al:
I know you will be reading this, hoping that I haven't stumbled on some crucial piece of information which may reveal who you really are.  I'll give you this much; you ran a very believable operation and convinced a lot of people that you were legit, however, while you've got away with this scam, criminals like you tend to have very nervous dispositions, sleep with one eye open and feel the need to constantly look over their shoulder.  It saddens me that you feel the need to put your hand to such low down schemes such as this in order to feel 'successful'.  Unfortunately, the only thing you succeeded in achieving is to steal the hard-earned money of your honest shareholders, who's worst crime was taking you at your word.

I challenge you to get up right now, go stand in front of a mirror, look yourself in the eye and ask yourself if you're ok with what you've done.  Ask yourself if you really want to be the kind of man who takes advantage of others, who lies, steals and steps on other people for his own gain.  If your answer is 'no', then it's never too late to make amends, but if your answer is 'yes', then I truly fear for your future, because the road you are on only leads to one destination; destruction.  When you finally find yourself facing the consequences of your actions, maybe not any time soon, but trust me, you will face them, think back to my words and my warning and lament that you didn't change your path then, back when you had a choice.

And beware; because karma's a bitch!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:36:05 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2014, 12:11:15 PM by JorgeStolfi

Sigh, this seems to be developing like all the other bitcoin scams (the count must be in the hundreds already).

People who are afraid of the SEC are most likely scammers.

When you realize that someone has been lying to you, you should not believe anything he says or writes.  In fact you should stop interacting with him, it is a waste of time.  If he got your money and is giving excuses for not delivering the counterpart, you should take legal action, which depends on your country -- small-claims court, police, lawyer, etc..

Scammers are expert in stalling. They will sound honest and forthcoming, give you bogus evidence, place the blame on events that you cannot check, and so on.

A scammer could easily obtain a fake ID, but he would be reluctant to do so since that would be another serious crime, independent from the original scam.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Casco

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:03:32 PM

SamboNZ,

now you understand, why web apps like BTC-jam take only picture of your ID together with your face + government proof of residence.

Even then, when I have their personal data information: in our country a person can announce personal bankrupt (there are legal procedural ofc) and totally legally reject all claims for loan payments. If his company borrowed the money, bankruptcy and/or insolvent procedures are possible. My point: sometimes even hard evidenced personal info don't help you resolve the loan payment.

To Thomas and co.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEjUQ15lyzk
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:09:17 PM

Definitely looks like this one can be put to bed, finally. On the bright side, guess it's better for us early adopters and true believers to take the brunt of these scams and get most of them flushed out before mainstreet arrives and gets turned off.
MAGsistemas

Activity: 55
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 07:29:20 AM

Rhode Island driver licence ?

http://www.idninja.net/US%20Licenses.html

RiverBoatBTC

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2014, 02:32:47 PM

Give me a sec I will run it to see if its a real I.D.

Edit: Its a fake, no one by that name lives in R.I.

tricomp

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:39:27 PM

Now that we know that the "Thomas Mica ID " is fake, the only chance we probably have to  id the promoters of  CoinReturn is  to have the domain owners privacy protection lifted. To do this, one would normally need something like a police report, which could be obtained with someone filing a fraud case with the police and obtaining a report of the filling to send to the registrar of the domain. or  more expensively getting a lawyer to get a court ruling that can be sent to the registrar to lift the privacy protection. The registrar for the domain coinreturn.me is PublicDomainregisty.com. Their contact would be abuse@publicdomainregistry.com.

I am still a bit dumbfounded to find that SamboNz would accept the ID posted and announce tha he has seen Tom Mica's ID, when most of the info that can confirm his ID is redacted and the only one visible, his home address, can be easily checked with a reverse address search on whitepages.com, which indicates the house is occupied by a different person (a couple  in this case). I believe a cautioned statement that some parts of the ID was redacted would have been appropriate, so others without access to the ID don't  think the promoters had nothing to hide and were willing to give identifiable info to a trusted member.

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 05:44:07 AM

Now that we know that the "Thomas Mica ID " is fake, the only chance we probably have to  id the promoters of  CoinReturn is  to have the domain owners privacy protection lifted. To do this, one would normally need something like a police report, which could be obtained with someone filing a fraud case with the police and obtaining a report of the filling to send to the registrar of the domain. or  more expensively getting a lawyer to get a court ruling that can be sent to the registrar to lift the privacy protection. The registrar for the domain coinreturn.me is PublicDomainregisty.com. Their contact would be abuse@publicdomainregistry.com.

I am still a bit dumbfounded to find that SamboNz would accept the ID posted and announce tha he has seen Tom Mica's ID, when most of the info that can confirm his ID is redacted and the only one visible, his home address, can be easily checked with a reverse address search on whitepages.com, which indicates the house is occupied by a different person (a couple  in this case). I believe a cautioned statement that some parts of the ID was redacted would have been appropriate, so others without access to the ID don't  think the promoters had nothing to hide and were willing to give identifiable info to a trusted member.

So anybody actually considering filing a fraud report against this worthless schmuck?

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
RiverBoatBTC

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2014, 03:44:19 PM

This is just a wild theory that could or could not be true but sometimes I like to daydream lol

SamboNZ is in fact the owner of coinreturn, his tactic of keeping the I.D. to himself was a way to buy time and try to erase his digital foot print. It seems that the time he started this thread till the time he posted toms I.D. does seem like the time period it would take to have a fake I.D. made and sent to himself.

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 06:42:50 PM

This is just a wild theory that could or could not be true but sometimes I like to daydream lol

SamboNZ is in fact the owner of coinreturn, his tactic of keeping the I.D. to himself was a way to buy time and try to erase his digital foot print. It seems that the time he started this thread till the time he posted toms I.D. does seem like the time period it would take to have a fake I.D. made and sent to himself.

Why go through the trouble?  I can photoshop something of that quality in ~25mins.  I could even print it out on some gloss stock, cut it out with an xacto and take a picture of it with a shitty cell.  And if it's to be printed out in grayscale and *then* photographed/scanned, I can cut the time by a few mins Smiley
vm_mpn

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 07:57:29 PM

Hmm... Looks familiar. Is this the same guy or just another scam artist ABT - Arbitrage https://cryptostocks.com/securities/41
SamboNZ (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 08:07:46 PM

Your wild speculations are not helping, please only post useful information or suggestions.  Thanks.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 08:14:01 PM

Hmm... Looks familiar. Is this the same guy or just another scam artist ABT - Arbitrage https://cryptostocks.com/securities/41
Why do you think it may be the same guy?  I see no names in that page.

(Arbitrage is a favorite activity for scam companies - it looks very profitableand easy to people who have not tried it.  Like the Soccer World Cup: it is easy to be the champion, one has only to kick the ball into the goal a few times.)

(And any company whose announcement does not incldue the true full names and addresses of the top management can safely be assumed to be a scam.)

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
beaknuke

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 09:36:23 PM

600 Ft? someone pen those details.... 6ft0 maybe. 

on that id ninja site it is in feet

ok it doesn't help anything i know

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: