Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:05:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Eric Schmidt talked about Bitcoin on MWC Keynote  (Read 6119 times)
Wandering Albatross

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:37:07 PM

Quote from: rjk
Advertising. En masse. It is 97% of their revenue, and making it targeted is in the interests of the advertisers.

Your source?

BTC: 1JgPAC8RVeh7RXqzmeL8xt3fvYahRXL3fP
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:41:05 PM

Advertising. En masse. It is 97% of their revenue, and making it targeted is in the interests of the advertisers.

Your source?
SEC filing: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1288776/000119312509150129/dex992.htm
Article of interest: http://gigaom.com/2009/07/17/where-does-google-get-97-of-its-revenue/

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Wandering Albatross

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:04:43 PM

Trust those sources if you want and trust the bankers and the u.s. chamber of commerce while you're at it.
And trust google too.

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 06:06:40 PM

Trust those sources if you want and trust the bankers and the u.s. chamber of commerce while you're at it.
And trust google too.
Tinfoil much? An SEC filing is a legal document, if it is substantially incorrect then Google would have some 'splainin to do, Lucy! and they would be paying some massive fines to the government.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 07:10:51 PM

And trust google too.

It's not so much about trust, it's pretty plausible to believe that they make enough money through targeted advertisements to more than cover their expenditures. Targeted ads are powerful. That also justifies their accumulation of information. Nevertheless it's a good idea not to be spied on. Smiley

Another unrelated point: He's saying "pure" p2p currencies are illegal in most cases. It pretty much shows he has some experience on the subject.
Wandering Albatross

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 03:18:55 AM

Tinfoil much? An SEC filing is a legal document, if it is substantially incorrect then Google would have some 'splainin to do, Lucy! and they would be paying some massive fines to the government.

Name calling, too funny. You probably believe in unicorns too. Yes the SEC would never lie nor would google. Believe what you'd like.
I'd bet you don't know too much about the current world financial events. If you did you'd find it hard to believe anything about the
stock market or wall street. What do you think is the motivation behind BTC? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical. Believe in any fantasy that you'd like
and like I said make sure and put all your data on google's servers like a good citizen.

State sponsored capitalism = facism

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 04:36:34 AM

Name calling, too funny. You probably believe in unicorns too. Yes the SEC would never lie nor would google. Believe what you'd like.
I'd bet you don't know too much about the current world financial events. If you did you'd find it hard to believe anything about the
stock market or wall street. What do you think is the motivation behind BTC? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical. Believe in any fantasy that you'd like
and like I said make sure and put all your data on google's servers like a good citizen.

State sponsored capitalism = facism
Well whatever you say, is there some other reason you don't agree that advertising couldn't possibly be 97% of their revenue? That is the root of this debate, after all. I mean seriously - you search for something, you don't pay them for that service, where does the money come from? Even the hardware they sell (phones) are at breakeven because they are used as targeted advertising platforms, and fulfill that role excellently.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 05:03:15 AM

I think Bitcoin is Google Bucks.  And Larry and/or Sergey is Satoshi.

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 09:50:15 AM

my comment from http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/qblwb/video_of_eric_schmidt_talking_briefly_about/

its interesting that Eric Schmidt came up with Bitcoin in this conversation.
Somehow I think Google, Amazon are sympathetic to it and are just waiting for Bitcoin become a little more mainstream before they endorse it.

The guy asking the question wanted to pitch faircash, a collection of ideas sketched out in his? 230 Page Dissertation.
I have scratched the surface of it. So far i can see that is a hardware-based crypto system with central PKI, but there is no prototype of it yet.
Furthermore i suspect double-spending is not solved, even theoretically, because transactions can occur in isolated (non-internet-connected) environments.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 01:15:22 PM

Free advice for Eric Schmidt:

1.  Buy a bunch of bitcoins.
2.  Integrate bitcoin into Google Wallet.
3.  Go to sleep.
4.  Wake up.
5.  Eat breakfast.
6.  Check the price of bitcoin on MtGox.
7.  Profit.
8.  See step 7.
9.  See step 8.
10.  See step 9.

the first major existing company to adopt Bitcoins will definitely make immense profits.
Actually, I think the reason more people are not speculating on Bitcoin is because the rich are already too rich and the poor are too poor. The rich only need Blue Chip investments to stay rich. Bitcoin is a revolution, not an IPO.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 05:31:13 PM

Maybe Google is sato, who is shi & Naka & moto ? Smiley

str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 02:33:12 AM

What if Google starts mining with 50%+ hashing power?
memvola

Activity: 938

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:46:20 AM

I question Google's ability to do that. I suppose they could do it if they spend enough, but it would cost them millions. We could delay transactions until we have sufficient power to push back. Worst case scenario, we could fork the chain and move to a Google-unfriendly algorithm. But with the current atmosphere, I feel that it's more likely for such companies to quietly come to the rescue of Bitcoin rather than try and destroy it.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 08:55:53 AM

I question Google's ability to do that. I suppose they could do it if they spend enough, but it would cost them millions. We could delay transactions until we have sufficient power to push back. Worst case scenario, we could fork the chain and move to a Google-unfriendly algorithm. But with the current atmosphere, I feel that it's more likely for such companies to quietly come to the rescue of Bitcoin rather than try and destroy it.

While I doubt Google would ever even entertain doing this they are theoretically well positioned for it. They have hundreds of thousands (or millions?) of low-end systems in open cage racks that could quite possibly handle one gpu each without much re-building. The cpu and traffic overhead on top of handling queries would be low. I suspect they also have heaps of systems being cycled out for newer ones and could easily assign the old Celerons to this purpose (assuming they even have PCIx slots). They also likely have lots of hw techs on staff already and I have no idea how busy they are. My guess is they spend a lot of them replacing hard disks.

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 10:19:04 AM

i doubt that they would retrofit existing systems to do mining. there are too many issues, plus google has enough cash to just build another data center dedicated to mining.

some issues (pulled out of thin air):
  • existing power grid and batteries for UPS would maybe be too weak.
  • heat management is already non-trivial and they planned their data centers for their target load. adding GPUs would also mean adding new cooling system.
  • cpu and network load is already a non-trivial issue for their map/reduce algos. spilling p2p traffic on top of that would not really help.
  • if they invested in hardware it would not be GPU but FPGA or even ASIC.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: