Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:04:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: At what hash rate does it become advantageous to solo mine?  (Read 3413 times)
triplehelix (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 03:58:33 AM

i don't know if hardware is the best place for this, but its about hashing capacity so i thought maybe.

from what i've been reading, it seems the advice is given that it is more profitable to mine with a pool.

if that is correct, at what hash rate under your control would it be more profitable to mine on your own, paying no tax and keeping all the transaction fees?
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:00:35 AM

i don't know if hardware is the best place for this, but its about hashing capacity so i thought maybe.

from what i've been reading, it seems the advice is given that it is more profitable to mine with a pool.

if that is correct, at what hash rate under your control would it be more profitable to mine on your own, paying no tax and keeping all the transaction fees?

I wouldn't mine solo unless you can pull a couple blocks a week.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:01:35 AM

How much variance do you want? Disregarding the greater-than-100% PPS offers out there, you have nothing to lose by solo mining, but it will take longer for any action unless you have a decent hash rate. I personally wouldn't bother going solo unless I had 50+ Ghash at my disposal, but that is just because I am impatient.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:02:05 AM

None.  p2pool.  It is like solo mining with the reduced variance of a 270 GH/s farm.

Prior to p2pool I would say 10 GH/s if you are adventurous, 20GH/s+ for more conservative.  Now w/ p2pool there is absolutely no reason to mine solo ... unless you like "exciting" week long stretches (months if you have less hashing power) without any blocks found.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:04:52 AM

None.  p2pool.  It is like solo mining with the reduced variance of a 270 GH/s farm.

Prior to p2pool I would say 10 GH/s if you are adventurous, 20GH/s+ for more conservative.  Now w/ p2pool there is absolutely no reason to mine solo ... unless you like "exciting" week long stretches (months if you have less hashing power) without any blocks found.

Good point... P2Pool wasn't around way back when difficulty was low enough for me to solo mine.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 04:06:16 AM

Or maybe if you want some souvenir collectible one-of-a-kind (not) 50BTC wallets and/or generation transactions. Just think! They will be obsolete impossible to get in a year!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
triplehelix (OP)

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:33:19 AM

how does p2p pool give you the best of both worlds?

lets say 50-100GH/s, you'd still recommend p2p?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:38:26 AM

Yes.  There are no fees and even w/ 50GH adding it to p2pool 270GH = 320GH/s which is a significant reduction in variance.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 07:31:41 AM

Yes.  There are no fees and even w/ 50GH adding it to p2pool 270GH = 320GH/s which is a significant reduction in variance.

+10!
triplehelix (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 02:37:44 PM

thanks for the replies.

so there is literally no point to solo mining at any hash rate?  even if you had 20% of the network capacity?
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 01, 2012, 04:18:31 PM

thanks for the replies.

so there is literally no point to solo mining at any hash rate?  even if you had 20% of the network capacity?

maybe if you had 51%  Wink

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: