Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:30:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do with your BTC during the downtrend?  (Read 1364 times)
Ed4252 (OP)

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:33:17 PM

What does everyone do with their BTC's in the downtrend when you knew it was going to happen?

from April 2013 to Oct 2013..did you just keep it in BTC while it was going down in $$$ value or did you take it out and put it in the bank and/or invest that amt in stocks?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:50:32 PM

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:59:50 PM

You buy more bitcoins and add to your cold storage during the downtrend.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:09:55 PM

hodl
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:10:43 PM

Set a load of BTC on fire with alts.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:13:08 PM

What does everyone do with their BTC's in the downtrend when you knew it was going to happen?

from April 2013 to Oct 2013..did you just keep it in BTC while it was going down in $$$ value or did you take it out and put it in the bank and/or invest that amt in stocks?

Same as I do during the uptrends. Use it, talk about it, show new users the benefits.

Is this a trick question or something?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:17:54 PM

I bought more BTC as it went down as I was underwater and didn't want to sell. I also tried to play the swings with a small number of coins to increase my coin total, which was only mildly successful. And then I screwed up in June by investing a pretty large portion of my coins into a pre-order for a KNC miner. Although in the end it worked out alright due to the November rally later on. I managed to mine about 60% of my coins back in the end. Good lesson learned there.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:46:59 PM

I bought more BTC as it went down as I was underwater and didn't want to sell. I also tried to play the swings with a small number of coins to increase my coin total, which was only mildly successful. And then I screwed up in June by investing a pretty large portion of my coins into a pre-order for a KNC miner. Although in the end it worked out alright due to the November rally later on. I managed to mine about 60% of my coins back in the end. Good lesson learned there.

What's the lesson, in your opinion?

Not to mine btc unless you're planning on setting up a farm sized operation? Or not to use pre-orders?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:47:10 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2014, 11:12:16 PM by Wandererfromthenorth

Sell it + shorting
akujin

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 11:03:51 PM

Buy if it's going up, sell if it's going down  Grin

BTC: 165rKPfGJ3ndrG1QziHR6ACnViP4EQHNK7
LTC: LMysGMFjmF9gR9RzStij74msXrDP1NqW8X
DOGE: DRZXGgcKN8kANwko3VycsBVVGqfy6XsSpM
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 11:34:40 PM

What's the lesson, in your opinion?

Not to mine btc unless you're planning on setting up a farm sized operation? Or not to use pre-orders?

The lesson I learned was that I should not have used such a large portion of my BTC for investing in mining BTC. I should have invested like 10% of my coins in mining. And also the whole pre-order thing wasn't a good idea, having to wait several months for a miner to hopefully arrive on time is just too much uncertainty and risk. You have to pray that the difficulty won't rise too fast (which it did), that the mining hardware company can be trusted to deliver on time and as promised, and that the BTC value won't tank in the mean time. Luckily the company delivered only two weeks too late and we saw a huge rally, but that's not something I'm going to want to count on next time I'm thinking of investing my coins. Tongue

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
BTCfan1

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 11:48:21 PM

sit and watch ... .... ............ Huh
Ed4252 (OP)

Activity: 204

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 12:43:55 AM

It's a serious question. If I know something is gonna go down in value, I'm not going to keep on holding on to it. I want to max profits.

Also, if the bubble pattern continues, the time to buy will be in March/April 15...so
Zohann

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 01:27:37 AM

I purposefully buy high and sell low.

It gives me an incentive to prostitute myself out to strange men to make up for losses.

I could just do this without buying high and selling low. But if I did that, I wouldn't be desperate. If I'm not desperate, my "work" suffers.

I mean, a streetwalker that REALLY needs the money gives a better blowjob than one that doesn't, right?

I recommend this to others.

I try to do the opposite of this so I can afford more hookers.
EricTyle

Activity: 152

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 04:44:46 AM

Well... I get so upset that I have so many, and they're worthless that I sell them. But then I get upset that I don't have any when they go back up so I buy some more. It's a vicious cycle!

TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 08:18:42 AM

Split into 4 parts:

1) Leveraged short on bitfinex to cover all the coins

2) Accounts on altcoin exchanges to trade alts

3) Cold storage.

4) Fiat withdrawn to bank account
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 12:40:15 PM

I purposefully buy high and sell low.

It gives me an incentive to prostitute myself out to strange men to make up for losses.

I could just do this without buying high and selling low. But if I did that, I wouldn't be desperate. If I'm not desperate, my "work" suffers.

I mean, a streetwalker that REALLY needs the money gives a better blowjob than one that doesn't, right?

I recommend this to others.

I aim to do the exact opposite.

Or how did you think your customers manage to afford you?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: