Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:54:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Satire] Community should start murdering 100% proven scammers  (Read 1834 times)
jjdub7 (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:51:15 AM

Sorry, but someone had to say it.  While I haven't been scammed in a long time, I've come to realize that the law enforcement bureaus of the world's nations are doing nothing (and possibly have no power) to try and stop the deluge of scams, trickeries, and frauds carried out by the seedier members of this community.

The shit needs to stop.  Cryptocurrency was created as a mechanism to circumvent the shitty policy-making corruption rampant in nations across the world designed to make the rich richer while keeping the poor desolate.  A near-countless number of scams have popped up involving bitcoin, depriving hard-working people of their wealth by entirely immoral, deceitful means, which hurts the entire community in the process - creating FUD in the non-adopting masses about the long-term viability of bitcoin.

This shit really needs to stop.  It pisses me off to no end to log into this forum only to read posts by newbs about how they lost coin to some seedy scheme or another.

At this point, someone needs to say it.  I know there are people out there with the technical skills and resources to identify the perpetrators behind obvious, intentional scams through identifying metrics such as IP address, domain registries, source code origins, etc.

I know the concept might seem harsh or difficult to stomach the thought of for many, but the honest majority within the community needs to be enabled to fight back.

I propose that we start killing those individuals who think it wise and beneficial to steal from honest members of this community.  No evidence of said work should be posted online or in any public forum.  The news will travel on its own.  I just think that if dishonest individuals can find it within their hearts to sleep at night despite wronging others, then its about time to give them a very different reason to lie awake in their beds.

(This is mainly meant as satire, but a small portion of the sentiment comes from real frustration that no long-term solution has been made to combat the countless deceptions from a wide range of vectors within this community.)
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:08:12 AM

uh, yeah because killing people associated to bitcoin by people associated to bitcoin is really going to help how the media portrays us.

and nevermind that, let's all start being sociopaths and killing whoever the fuck we want.
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1073

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:15:05 AM

Who is capable of doing that you? Good luck going to Nigeria or Russia.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 05:23:53 AM

I am seeing an increasing number of provocateur type posts on these forums. Please use good judgement when posting so as not to get baited into statements that may justify actions on your person by law enforcement entities, however theoretical they may be.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 08:03:42 AM

There are ways of dealing with these people (scammers) without killing them. Pariah. Disenfranchisement. Leper. Having a bad name should destroy any ability for them to do anything in the future. The internet makes it possible to display their actions, all of their identification, and everything about them. All without committing violence.

Violence should only be used to defend from violence.

People also need to start taking proper precautions of protecting their bitcoins. Leaving a million dollars worth of bitcoins on Mt. Gox was not the wisest thing in the world. We have spent the last hundred years being protected by governments and suddenly people have to protect themselves. I think there is an adjustment period going on here while people figure out how to become totally responsible for their own wealth.

There is also a certain amount of "karma" in life. People who steal to survive often pay for it in other ways. Look at Mark Karpeles of Mt. Gox. He may have gotten away with stealing all those coins. I suspect he wasted most of them already. He is a fat tub of lard. Even if he can get a girlfriend, he is so out of shape that he probably can't even enjoy sleeping with her. I bet he is totally impotent. Even if he never goes to prison, I would never want to change places with him.

If Mark had ran Mt. Gox properly, he would probably have ended up richer than Bill Gates by the end of this decade. He would be admired around the world. Now his name just makes people feel revulsion. Nobody needs to do anything to him, he will just do it to himself.

Look at other people who seemingly get away with crime. O.J. Simpson won his murder trial and avoided prison. Years later, he still managed to get himself put in prison. His life sucks.

Living a life of harm creates internal conflicts in most people. When we harm others, we end up treating ourselves as we treated them.

My two bits (BTC0.000002)

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 08:29:35 AM

OP asks the community to kill scammers.

Dank is the 1st response, and asks a question that I can't really find a bearing to.

Are they handing out free catnip somewhere?
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 08:54:26 AM

Dank is the 1st response, and asks a question that I can't really find a bearing to.

Maybe government paid provocateurs are joining bitcointalk  Huh
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 09:20:56 AM

I am seeing an increasing number of provocateur type posts on these forums. Please use good judgement when posting so as not to get baited into statements that may justify actions on your person by law enforcement entities, however theoretical they may be.

I hate scammers but I'm inclined to agree this is exactly the kind of thing that would be a government officials' wet dream, a headline saying "RIGHT WING NUTCASE KILLS INNOCENT MAN OVER BEING SCAMMED FOR IMAGINARY CURRENCY" don't give them the opportunity.

Hell, just take pleasure in ruining their reputation utterly, that's what I did with nexusakachus Tongue by all means, hunt the fucker down to his home address and post a threatening letter through his mailbox issuing a court order, but killing them over it is going too far, it was interesting how quickly Mark Karpeles was tracked down when he pissed off enough people.
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:45:51 AM

Why kill them when you can inflict a lifetime of punishment if you know who they are.

I think society has lost the art of public humiliation. Hester Prynne!
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 04:28:56 PM

Maybe government paid provocateurs are joining bitcointalk  Huh
I am certain they have been here for some time, they are simply getting emboldened.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 04:33:21 PM

Yeah its a great idea to chase a scammer trough several thousands of miles away just because he scammed 0.2 btc, you will spend more in flight tickets and probably will get robbed more in the scammer nation.
Every bitcoiner learnt in one way or another to not be fool with his bitcoins, i mean 90% of the scams outthere are not even good , the people falling in needs to learn.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:07:27 PM

Sorry, but someone had to say it.  While I haven't been scammed in a long time, I've come to realize that the law enforcement bureaus of the world's nations are doing nothing (and possibly have no power) to try and stop the deluge of scams, trickeries, and frauds carried out by the seedier members of this community.

The shit needs to stop.  Cryptocurrency was created as a mechanism to circumvent the shitty policy-making corruption rampant in nations across the world designed to make the rich richer while keeping the poor desolate.  A near-countless number of scams have popped up involving bitcoin, depriving hard-working people of their wealth by entirely immoral, deceitful means, which hurts the entire community in the process - creating FUD in the non-adopting masses about the long-term viability of bitcoin.

This shit really needs to stop.  It pisses me off to no end to log into this forum only to read posts by newbs about how they lost coin to some seedy scheme or another.

At this point, someone needs to say it.  I know there are people out there with the technical skills and resources to identify the perpetrators behind obvious, intentional scams through identifying metrics such as IP address, domain registries, source code origins, etc.

I know the concept might seem harsh or difficult to stomach the thought of for many, but the honest majority within the community needs to be enabled to fight back.

I propose that we start killing those individuals who think it wise and beneficial to steal from honest members of this community.  No evidence of said work should be posted online or in any public forum.  The news will travel on its own.  I just think that if dishonest individuals can find it within their hearts to sleep at night despite wronging others, then its about time to give them a very different reason to lie awake in their beds.

(This is mainly meant as satire, but a small portion of the sentiment comes from real frustration that no long-term solution has been made to combat the countless deceptions from a wide range of vectors within this community.)

Free reminder: this forum is also being monitored by people who hate bitcoin. Although it is sad for newbs to lose some bitcoins, as maybe we all did, don't forget we are still early in the game. Also if a newb, with less than 10 posts is screaming he got scammed, make sure he includes the exact description of the method and by whom so others will not fall into the same trap. If that poster cannot, but simply declared he was scammed, then you should most likely disregard this as a scam in itself.

jjdub7 (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:56:25 PM

lol people's responses to provocative ideas are why I've cumulatively spent almost 3 full days of my life on this forum over the past 2 years. 

Again, I'll reiterate that my OP was meant to be satirical.  Sure, of course I've been scammed before, but its nothing that my day job doesn't cover relatively easily.  should we actually start killing people that steal?  No, probably not, especially since the circumstances on the other side are not always clear and yes, because those headlines really wouldn't look good on Bloomberg.

However, this brings me back to the actual point I'm trying to make.  It would seem that there's a definite need for a newb-friendly website to give an overview of the common security threats associated with bitcoin (a comprehensive repository of sorts), along with step-by-step explanations of best practices for using the currency (sort of like the simplicity of bitcoin.org).  Even within the tech sector, its tough to explain the security concerns because of the ways that bitcoin differs from the average corporate security concerns ("physical-file"/distributed network nature of cryptos).

I'm no good at programming in flash, etc or else I'd try and start up a project like this myself.  The resource would function mainly as a security "onboarding" for new users that explains:
- the basics of encryption/its use in the BTC protocol
- wallets (especially wallet.dat files)
- what to look for when assessing unknown addresses
- ratings/known trusted sites to show users what is currently within the "realm of safety"
- a repository of known scams/hack vectors that can explain to the non-tech contingent why (tech-to-layman's explanations) and how (malware, e.g. keyloggers, trojans) BTC can be stolen

Is anything like this currently out there/in development?  The reason behind this long-winded and mostly roundabout thread is that I've started to try and explain BTC/blockchains to my friends and coworkers with the current state of QE/the housing market, but nobody seems to believe its worth buying because they think they'll just lose it.  And while I've gotten pretty good at explaining cryptos in laymen's terms, a trusted online visual aid would be much easier to point people to. 

Overall, it seems that security remains the largest impediment to more widespread adoption, and yes, while we obviously can't go around murdering scammers (seriously, has nobody read A Modest Proposal by Johnathan Swift?), there has to be something that can be done to lower the incidence/success rate of theft, particularly within the newb contingent.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:13:16 PM

A short term future science fiction book by Daniel Suarez, Daemen, has the dead protagonist having spawned a large number of robotic assets to carry out his wishes post mortem. 

One of them is not without popular support.

"Spammers must die."

And they do, in quite interesting ways.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:31:15 PM

Well, maybe we shouldn't be encouraging vigilante justice, but jail time along with having to compensate their victims might get the attention of scammers. And I know that I'm going to get a lot of yak about how criminals don't usually have many assets unless they're Bernie Madoff or something but I'm not against making them work while they're in jail while their pay goes to compensate their victims.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 11:05:42 PM

The scamming will slow down once the currency becomes more wide spread. I hate the scamming as much as anyone but vigilante justice and murder is not the solution.

skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 01:26:53 AM

While I agree with this I don't think murder is the right choice, I mean yeah people can be hurt by the scamming but seriously murder?

Being scammed sucks it's true, the only thing you can do is move on really or try and get the money back. It seems to me like it's pretty tough to do so when it's bitcoin.

What else could I say?
jjdub7 (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:41:30 AM

I forgot that most people don't read through threads before posting, so nobody's noticed that I've now (for the third time) assured everyone that this was meant to be satire, with the offhand suggestion/query of a security onboarding resource for newbs so they don't have their coins stolen.  So I changed the title to try and emphasize that.

As has been accurately pointed out, people killing each other over coins really, really isn't going to do much for the price.  But education of bitcoin as a resource and an asset will help it grow in price over the long term.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 01:51:28 AM

I forgot that most people don't read through threads before posting, so nobody's noticed that I've now (for the third time) assured everyone that this was meant to be satire, with the offhand suggestion/query of a security onboarding resource for newbs so they don't have their coins stolen.  So I changed the title to try and emphasize that.

As has been accurately pointed out, people killing each other over coins really, really isn't going to do much for the price.  But education of bitcoin as a resource and an asset will help it grow in price over the long term.

Yeah, well, you are a little bit late.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
skottiejay

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 02:00:20 AM

Yeah dude you might have put satire before hand, I don't think anyone really would have noticed it even was satire had you not said something. The only thing you can do with scammers is check history, ask people and make SURE that you aren't getting scammed.

What else could I say?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: