Print  
Author Topic: ..  (Read 3598 times)
Devin Chow (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:19:03 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2015, 09:15:37 AM by Devin Chow

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lay785

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:23:47 AM

in your dreams. It will probably sell for way less. I dare you to bet on betmoose if youre so confident.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:24:38 AM

in your dreams. It will probably sell for way less. I dare you to bet on betmoose if youre so confident.
Ignore this bear.

It makes far more sense for the coins to sell above the market value, rather than below
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:28:02 AM

Wow you're an optimistic one! It's not farfetched that some of the bids might be above market price, but no one is going to bid significantly higher. If the public learns that one purchaser decided to pay $200 over current market price, well, they're probably going to just think that purchaser is crazy. There are plenty of off-exchange methods for buying coins without moving markets.

But just to entertain your idea, there are only 16,000 BTC up for sale on Bitstamp. Therefore, a 30,000 BTC market order would push the price up over 5k! However, this impossible scenario would be followed with a swift and mighty correction.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:30:11 AM

yes, rich investors are lining up to overpay for an asset that they can buy at market value just like anyone else from a common exchange (note... they don't have to order all at once...) or from an offline seller. come on guys, instead of flaming everyone who disagrees with you, actually think with your heads for a minute.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
GloryHole

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:33:15 AM

The bidders obviously know the value of bitcoin is far higher than it's current price. Not a single one of them is going to say "Damn BTC is going for $700...I'm out". They know the MASSIVE heights that bitcoin can very easily reach in the not so distant future. These guys have money to burn. They're not going to be pinching pennies here. I think we'll see a pretty high price. And that could trigger the boom...or it could do nothing at all. But I don't think so.
cosmicapex

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:35:52 AM

I believe it's probable that they'll overpay a little bit.  It'd be prudent for both parties; you can't just buy 30k BTC @ X price in one action, the price will probably go up way before you hit 30k, and the FBI gets to charge a premium for their efforts.  

Plus the fact that it's an auction, we could see some seriously crazy shit happen.  Overpaying like crazy to drive the price up for a massive bubble, and it's likely whoever wins has massive amounts of Bitcoins already, so the chance they'll dump all-out to fiat is low; anyone heavily vested in Bitcoin wins from that auction.

On the flipside, let's say the FBI under-prices them at $300-$400?  They could negatively influence Bitcoin's price & viability, at the expense of cash (and as I write that last part it seems ridiculous for them to give up millions to try and dismantle something they should know they can't dismantle with just a few million dollars).
GloryHole

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

The winners aren't going to dump shit. They're going to hoard. Because they know the long term potential absolutely shits on the ability to make a few million in the short term.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:43:35 AM

yes, rich investors are lining up to overpay for an asset that they can buy at market value just like anyone else from a common exchange (note... they don't have to order all at once...) or from an offline seller. come on guys, instead of flaming everyone who disagrees with you, actually think with your heads for a minute.

Since you are the only one using your head, why didn't you take my bet I offered you yesterday?
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:52:03 AM

Since you are the only one using your head, why didn't you take my bet I offered you yesterday?

I don't bet; I'm more into the buy and hold philosophy and that's enough excitement for me.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:53:30 AM

I don't bet; I'm more into the buy and hold philosophy and that's enough excitement for me.

Curious. Are you going to make a statement if the majority of coins sell for a premium?
GloryHole

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:58:46 AM

I have nothing to gain here. I'm out.
GloryHole

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 07:09:41 AM

You should change your name to Devin Troll
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 08:14:08 AM

Think about it.

Buying 30,000 coins on Bitstamp, or any exchange, would easily push the price up $100. Most likely more.

When shares or other financial instruments are sold in bulk the buyers always look for a discount to the market price.  Always.  Bitcoin's market is still extremely thin but I think it will follow the established laws of finance.  The bidders will be looking for a discount to the current market price.  While it is interesting to speculate what would happen if the winning bidder went to Bitstamp/Btce/etc with a 30k order instead of the auction, I think it would be foolish for the bidder to push the auction price per bitcoin to parity or even above the asking price.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 08:26:18 AM

The bidders are professional. They will have a strategy on how much to bet for each lot. Successful bidders on the early lots will try to drive up the market rate for later lots, while unsuccessful bidders will do the opposite. We are in for a roller coaster ride.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 04:53:36 PM

The bidders are professional. They will have a strategy on how much to bet for each lot. Successful bidders on the early lots will try to drive up the market rate for later lots, while unsuccessful bidders will do the opposite. We are in for a roller coaster ride.

Except that this is a sealed bid auction - bids are placed, and then nobody will find out until Monday who actually won.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:11:31 PM

paying 10% more than market rate isn't unreasonable.

more than 20%+ is pushing it.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:16:06 PM

I guess I'll register my prediction now. 5% over market rate at the time of the auction on average for all the lots on the auction block.
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:28:17 PM

some bidders are definitely going to over bid. Possibly over bid a LOT in order to get the coins.
Thoughts?
This isn't eBay.  I doubt any of the buyers are stupid enough to send in a bid above market rates.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
i dig bitcoins

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:37:56 PM

"I think it will follow the established laws of finance."

Bitcoin is disruptive  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: