Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:19:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is funding a development team really that difficult?  (Read 2360 times)
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:36:15 AM

If this was true, then you wouldn't be so panicy literally days before btcd is getting ready to surpass Bitcoin Core in terms of functionality, despite persistent and coordinated efforts over the last year to shut them out.

I don't see any connection between what we were talking about and this, perhaps I missed something. I don't think btcd guys have been "shut out". If they really do have more functionality then that's great, though the last I heard about btcd is that it didn't support Bloom filtering (but advertised in their ver message that they did).

Anyway, they presumably need a long term funding model as well. I don't know how Conformal subsidise btcd development, but relying on a single generous company is not a solution either.

The evidence suggests that the "core development team" is increasingly facing votes of no-confidence in multiple fronts exactly because of your attitude. The reason nobody donates money to Bitcoin Foundation is because nobody trust them or you.

The Foundation has received plenty of donations which is why it can now afford to pay three full time devs, at least for a while.

Peter - for what it's worth I think you're doing the malleability fixes wrong. I haven't bothered to argue about it or strongly object because unlike you I think something is better than nothing in this regard, but if you like I'll deluge your pull requests in endless criticism too. Wouldn't that be fun!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 02:58:25 PM

The Foundation has received plenty of donations which is why it can now afford to pay three full time devs, at least for a while.

Peter - for what it's worth I think you're doing the malleability fixes wrong. I haven't bothered to argue about it or strongly object because unlike you I think something is better than nothing in this regard, but if you like I'll deluge your pull requests in endless criticism too. Wouldn't that be fun!

<thinks loud>Sometimes I whish I would also get a small crumb of donations...</thinks loud>

Anyway, I think it's bad to be not focused on improving things, but just on destroying anothers thoughts and work... EVEN if I have objections.
Some of the projects idleness comes from that fact IMHO. I also think more users should help testing pulls on Github and give feedback. Often there sneak in bugs into releases that shouldn't be in there because of the RC phases for example.

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:32:00 PM

I don't see any connection between what we were talking about and this, perhaps I missed something. I don't think btcd guys have been "shut out". If they really do have more functionality then that's great, though the last I heard about btcd is that it didn't support Bloom filtering (but advertised in their ver message that they did).

I spoke to them about that - they said the Bloom filter standard was broken in that there was no way to advertise support for other protocol features with very when you don't support NODE_BLOOM...

You mean Pieter Wuille is doing the malleability fixes wrong... So rather than being silly about it, how about you publish your criticisms on the development mailing list by replying to Pieter's request for comments so we can come up with a good long term design. I've already published mine with regard to how the "whack-a-mole" approach Pieter is taking is likely to miss cases, and we should additionally do a soft-fork with new txid-less signature modes. Anyway he's convinced me that it won't be actually harmful, and the code I've implemented will still be useful whatever approach we take.

Note that usually what you call "endless criticism" is called design review. Its gets results too, like how recently a estimate fees design flaw was caught that could allow an attacker - or bad luck - to empty peoples' wallets completely to fees.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: