Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:27:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Karl Rove and the modern money machine  (Read 798 times)
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:56:32 PM

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/karl-rove-and-the-modern-money-machine-108019_full.html#.U627wfldVaZ

more big money in politics than ever.. and it's obviously coming more from one party  Wink
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 11:34:23 PM

The piece paid lip service to this happening from the left but the main goal was to go all class warfare and focus on a biography of Rove and his links to Bush. The left covers their stances on the critical issues of the day by muddying the waters w/ Koch bros this and Rove-Bush that. That said, Rove's main goal has always been triangulation which means, govern as much to the left while maintaining legitimacy as a right winger. The only fiscal conservative aspect of the Rove's is their disdain for higher taxes on the 1% and less Wall street regulations. However, Wall street is tied at the hip w/ the Federal Reserve and consequentially the entire government apparatus so there is where the crony capitalism or fascism comes into play. These guys are no friends of liberty nor are their counterparts on the left. They grow govt like the left in different areas while throwing each other bones to keep the wheels greased in off-years. These neocon republicans need to be purged out of the party or at least put on the back bench and let Rand Paul reshape the brand back to where it should be w/ a populist brand of libertarianism. Once and if successful, we can't debate the concepts between minarchism and full ancapism.
beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 11:38:59 PM

you are actually trying to defend rove? rove's game, as it is obviously stated in the article, has been to inject as much money into the political game as possible. your party was behind the citizens united ruling. it's kind of funny how you treat any kind of criticism of the far right as "some conspiracy theory from the left," when all you need to do to hear crazy is tune into fox.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:47:36 AM

Let's keep this.. Fair & balanced...

Tom Steyer

The newest celebrity in the liberal universe is billionaire Tom Steyer. In a story headlined "The Wrath of a Green Billionaire," Bloomberg Businesweek reporter Joshua Green explained he’s hailed as “a liberal analogue of the conservative Koch brothers, the billionaire owners of Koch Industries, whose lavish support of free-market causes and political ruthlessness loom large in the liberal imagination.’‘

Steyer’s obsession is stopping global warming. “If you look at the 2012 campaign, climate change was like incest—something you couldn’t talk about in polite company,” he says. Naturally, this swagger reminds the Bloomberg-owned magazine of...well, Bloomberg:

So Steyer, 55, a major Democratic contributor, quit Farallon [Capital] to devote his time and much of his money to changing this reality. In doing so, he's joined an emerging class of billionaires -- including this magazine's owner, Michael Bloomberg and Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg-who have forsaken the traditional approach of working through the political parties and instead jumped directly into the fray, putting their reputations and fortunes behind a cause.

When people ask about his occupation, Steyer says, “I actually tell them ‘professional pain in the ass.’ Before, I was only an amateur.”

After liberals couldn’t get a cap-and-trade bill through a Democrat-controlled Senate before the 2010 midterms, Green wrote “Steyer and many other Democrats preoccupied with climate change are convinced that only a smash-mouth, confrontational style of politics can save the planet. He subscribes to the analysis offered in a recent paper by Harvard sociologist Theda Skocpol that the loss derived from Democrats’ naive faith that their best chance at climate legislation was cooperating with polluters on a grand bargain negotiated by Washington power brokers. The strategy failed to account for Republicans’ radicalization and use of the filibuster. And because environmental groups had neglected to organize, no grassroots pressure materialized when the legislation stalled.”

Notice that the radical environmentalists who hate the gasoline engine are somehow unlabeled as the story introduced the Republicans as radicalized.

The story underlines how leftists who hate billionaires intervening in politics grow mellow when they join their side. “I’m not happy about big money playing such an important role in political campaigns,” says Henry Waxman. “But I want to see a pushback, and we can’t unilaterally disarm. I’m glad someone like Tom is willing to spend.”

Green says the problem for liberals on climate change hasn’t been their funding. “What was missing was any conviction among voters that global warming is an urgent concern.” Reporters don’t usually say that out loud. They just quietly ignore the issue until their liberal friends push it into the spotlight, and then they ignore it again.

Steyer appeared on “The Daily Rundown” on MSNBC on April 23, and declared “I think that I'm very different from the Koch brothers in the sense that I have absolutely no personal interest in what happens except as a citizen of the United States. So whereas they're representing points of view that are in their personal monetary interests, I'm actually representing the citizens of the whole country in terms of their diffuse interests against concentrated economic interests that the Koch brothers represent.”

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2013/04/28/billionaire-tom-steyer-liberal-analogue-koch-brothers-latest-bloomberg-o

DEMOCRACY ALLIANCE (DA)

Founded in the spring of 2005, the Democracy Alliance (DA) is a non-tax-exempt, nonprofit, self-described "liberal organization" that serves as a funding clearinghouse for progressive groups. DA does not accept donations outright, but rather solicits contributions from left-wing millionaires and billionaires (whom it calls "partners"), and then serves as a "pass through" that funnels their money to its "favored organizations."

Political operative Rob Stein, who served as chief of staff to Commerce Department Secretary Ron Brown during the Bill Clinton administration, conceived the DA project and was its first managing director. DA's founding mission was "to build progressive infrastructure that could help counter the well-funded and sophisticated conservative apparatus in the areas of civic engagement, leadership, media, and ideas."

Stein began working on the project shortly after the Republican Party had gained eight House seats and two Senate seats in the 2002 midterm elections. Lamenting that he was “living in a one-party [Republican] country, Stein at that point resolved to study the conservative movement and determine why it was winning the political battle. After a year of analysis, he concluded that a few influential, wealthy family foundations -- most notably Scaife, Bradley, Olin, and Coors -- had spearheaded the creation of a $300 million network of politically influential organizations. Stein featured these facts in a comprehensive PowerPoint presentation titled “The Conservative Message Machine Money Matrix,” which mapped out, in painstaking detail, the conservative movement's networking strategies and funding sources.

Next, Stein set out to show his presentation, mostly in private meetings, to political leaders, activists, and prospective big-money donors of the left. He hoped to inspire them to join his crusade to build a new a financial clearinghouse dedicated to offsetting the efforts of conservative funders and injecting new life into the progressive movement. At each presentation, Stein asked the viewer to pledge that he or she would keep confidential the substance of the proceedings, so as to give the project a chance to coalesce and gain some momentum without excessive public scrutiny.

Stein officially filed DA's corporate registration in the District of Columbia in January 2005. By that point, he had shown his PowerPoint presentation to more than 700 key people in private meetings. Stein recalls that during those sessions, he consistently observed “an unbelievable frustration” by big Democrat donors who felt hopelessly unconnected to one another, even as they longed to be part of a strategic coalition that could work collaboratively and cohesively. This was particularly true of the billionaire financier George Soros, thus it was most significant that Soros quickly and enthusiastically embraced Stein's concept.

In April 2005, Soros brought together 70 likeminded, carefully vetted, fellow millionaires and billionaires in Phoenix, Arizona, to discuss Stein's ideas and expeditiously implement a plan of action. Among the attendees were former Clinton White House aides Mike McCurry and Sidney Blumenthal, and Schumann Center for Media & Democracy president Bill Moyers. Most of those in attendance agreed that the conservative movement represented “a fundamental threat to the American way of life.” And, like Soros, a considerable number of them looked favorably on Stein's analysis and concept. Thus was born the Democracy Alliance.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/groupProfile.asp?grpid=7151

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The illusion the democrats are poor and coming from the small people is just that: an illusion. Political campaigns cost mucho dineros.  Ask obama why he is rewarding people with zero political background to be offered ambassadorship spot all over the world? Because they paid for it. It is that simple. Does that mean Rove is not a power broker working for the established republican machine, pushing hard to destroy the Tea Party? Of course he is.

beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:50:51 AM

^ so i read half of what you posted.. seems like he wants some regulation on climate change. there was no mention of how he'd make monetary gains from it? it wouldn't surprise me if he were rotten, but that first article only spoke about how he's getting his feet dipped into politics.

a little digging up shows that he's amassed some of his fortune from the energy industry, so some are calling him a hypocrite. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/25/Green-Billionaire-Offers-Excuses-for-Making-Billions-off-the-Fossil-Fuels-That-Made-Him-Rich

but wait, that was from breitbart's site  Cheesy better to be a hypocrite and be proactive about climate change in this situation though. his profile isn't THAT bad so far.. on the left, i'd say george soros is still easily worse with his pump and dumps and other schemes to make money off people.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:11:53 AM

^ so i read half of what you posted.. seems like he wants some regulation on climate change. there was no mention of how he'd make monetary gains from it? it wouldn't surprise me if he were rotten, but that first article only spoke about how he's getting his feet dipped into politics.

a little digging up shows that he's amassed some of his fortune from the energy industry, so some are calling him a hypocrite. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/06/25/Green-Billionaire-Offers-Excuses-for-Making-Billions-off-the-Fossil-Fuels-That-Made-Him-Rich

but wait, that was from breitbart's site  Cheesy better to be a hypocrite and be proactive about climate change in this situation though. his profile isn't THAT bad so far.. on the left, i'd say george soros is still easily worse with his pump and dumps and other schemes to make money off people.

Stoyer is lobbying hard against the pipeline. The one coming from Canada. Does that mean he has evil intention? No more than someone invested in big oil. In his case he is betting hard on "green energy". If there is no pipeline and the EPA is regulating the coal industry to death.. then well people will be forced to deal with him and his clean green energy and other carbon taxes, etc, etc. A billionaire does not have a political affiliation, he has bank account affiliations and 1000s of lawyers to make him even more powerful.

Listen I love making fun of liberals. I love to think I am a conservative. The reality is we are all at the bottom of a pyramid. Some may climb its left side, others its right side. But at the top there is no more left side or right side. That is why this symbol is on the $ bill. Everyone is a power broker serving one's own selfish interest. Once you understand that you feel much better and don't get attached to anyone politically if they become a turncoat, or be mad on a internet forum...  Wink

beetcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 03:09:20 AM

Stoyer is lobbying hard against the pipeline. The one coming from Canada. Does that mean he has evil intention? No more than someone invested in big oil. In his case he is betting hard on "green energy". If there is no pipeline and the EPA is regulating the coal industry to death.. then well people will be forced to deal with him and his clean green energy and other carbon taxes, etc, etc. A billionaire does not have a political affiliation, he has bank account affiliations and 1000s of lawyers to make him even more powerful.

Listen I love making fun of liberals. I love to think I am a conservative. The reality is we are all at the bottom of a pyramid. Some may climb its left side, others its right side. But at the top there is no more left side or right side. That is why this symbol is on the $ bill. Everyone is a power broker serving one's own selfish interest. Once you understand that you feel much better and don't get attached to anyone politically if they become a turncoat, or be mad on a internet forum...  Wink

well, if being for green energy makes me a liberal.. then i am a liberal. it's much better than spending trillions of dollars to meddle in the middle east for a fossil fuel that will end up destroying our planet.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 03:43:27 AM

you are actually trying to defend rove? rove's game, as it is obviously stated in the article, has been to inject as much money into the political game as possible. your party was behind the citizens united ruling. it's kind of funny how you treat any kind of criticism of the far right as "some conspiracy theory from the left," when all you need to do to hear crazy is tune into fox.
If defending Rove was what you got out of my paragraph then perhaps there's a communication barrier or something because I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. All I was doing was partially showcasing exactly how the left operates in their media which is then used as talking points by the drones that listen/read it. I have family that regurgitate the same old nonsense when confronted about their peoples' policies which are indefensible. They immediately try to flip the script and deflect it by saying the Kock Brothers... fill in the blank bunk. I'm not saying Rove is wrong or is illegal in what he's doing. He's a consultant saboteur that is hell bent on driving the Chamber of Commerce wing of the GOP right over the grassroots/Tea Party/Liberty Movement base in nearly every instance. There's two main flavors of the GOP anti-est and establishment. The anti-est is made up of the former among others. The establishment likely has a few variations but typically have more tolerance for each other than most of the anti-establishment base.

The long and short of it is, there's division in the GOP because ideals and principles are at stake which makes the insider crowd having more in common w/ the left. The base has had it with the establishment insiders that spend loads of money in GOP primaries against their own instead of reserving it to go against the Dems. The base also calls out their establishment leaders like Boehner when he pushes through a debt limit increase or amnesty as an example. I'm not seeing the division on the left nor do they ever seem to call out their people or take them to task in any large manner. It's always the Koch brothers as a response instead of, "God Damn Obama/Pelosi/Reid for doing X, Y or Z" which doesn't happen.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 05:32:29 PM

Listen I love making fun of liberals. I love to think I am a conservative. The reality is we are all at the bottom of a pyramid. Some may climb its left side, others its right side. But at the top there is no more left side or right side. That is why this symbol is on the $ bill. Everyone is a power broker serving one's own selfish interest. Once you understand that you feel much better and don't get attached to anyone politically if they become a turncoat, or be mad on a internet forum...  Wink

well, if being for green energy makes me a liberal.. then i am a liberal. it's much better than spending trillions of dollars to meddle in the middle east for a fossil fuel that will end up destroying our planet.

And I love what Elon Musk is doing with Tesla and SolarCity. But I am not a fan of a giant fan creating a powerful vortex strong enough to kill endangered birds, 1000s of them every year. I hope those two examples does not make me an anti planet Earth troll paid by some oil bathing lobbyist creatures from one of Alpha Centauri's moon sized planets...  Smiley

negafen

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 01:57:17 AM

This guy sound like Kelvin spacey in house of card.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: