Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:30:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Retroshare  (Read 2094 times)
srb123 (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 04:52:15 AM
Last edit: April 28, 2011, 09:04:28 AM by srb123

Hi Guys,

Just stumbled on this:

http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/index.html

It's Paranoid, Secure, Distributed and Open Source, so naturally I thought of you.

I have only just downloaded it, but it appears to have a few features that would suit out cummunity.

Does Chat (IRC Alt); Forums (Remember when this one went down?), and perhaps it is also a Web-of-Trust.

If there are any takers to test it out, here is my cert to start forming a group on there.

EDIT: Removed PGP Key. Spelling.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 09:10:52 AM

Sounds interesting, but unfortunately I am too parinoid to click that link, not to mention downloading and running that code on my system Wink

Thanks for thinking of me, though Smiley

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 09:13:46 AM

Just heard about this from Hiro White, hook that baby up with Facebook (so it puts your address for other nodes to connect to) and all your facebook friends can get onto you.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
srb123 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 10:13:50 AM

After having a play with this for a while, I have to say I'm really impressed. It's not something I'd use, but some if the ideas here are great, and I think Bitcoin Dev's should really get into the guts of the code and learn a bit about what they are doing.

1. This app is skewed toward Dark-File sharing between friends. Not something we would be very interested in.

2. I has a really good GUI implementation of what a Web-of-Trust should be like. There are wizards for the PGP side of it, im a PGP n00b and bluffed my way though easy.

3. Interesting formation of mesh network. Each time you import a 'friend' you also import their network settings to get you initial connection, but then there is also a DHT as well. So rather than bootstrapping from an IRC network which could be compromised, you bootstrap through your WOT.

4. It's buggy, well at least the GUI doesnt always respond the way you expect, I had to keep going back a forth to make it refresh. A few uncoded buttons here and there too.

All-in-all, I have to say this is a pretty good implementation of serverless design with good security built in.

If anyone else want to test it with me PM for my PGP key
srb123 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 10:23:25 AM

Just heard about this from Hiro White, hook that baby up with Facebook (so it puts your address for other nodes to connect to) and all your facebook friends can get onto you.

Yeah, a P2P Facebook alternative would be awesome. That way if you add 600 people you don't even know, you deserve the sucky perfomance.

Its been discussed here before about having a WOT enabled client, this project could well provide the framework.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 06:34:20 PM

Yeah, a P2P Facebook alternative would be awesome. That way if you add 600 people you don't even know, you deserve the sucky perfomance.

Its been discussed here before about having a WOT enabled client, this project could well provide the framework.

The reason I mention Facebook is you could use it for bootstrapping, think about it, Facebook already has you're network of friends (if you use it), you just want to tell them you're ip.

This app could update your facebook status with your current ip, any of your friends using the app automatically get your ip, boom, you're sucked your social-network into a darknet.

This has huge implications for the Chinese equivalent of Facebook and MSN, (RenRen & QQ), where people are heavily censored. No more censorship.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 09:25:53 AM

Just discovered this program. I think it's really nice. Finally a secure, distributed messenger/share tool.

If anyone wants to connect, send me PM.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 03:05:12 PM

Key link is in my signature, add me and send me your key if you want

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:58:22 PM

Tried to find a topic about Retroshare around here, and found this. It is old, but my questions are:

Retroshare seems interesting, but I'm a bit hesitant to run it on my main box, and might want to set up a virtual machine to test it out.

What are the views on it in the bitcoin community? Is anyone actively using it? I saw a number somewhere saying there are 6K users, which don't tell me much as users and active users are two completely different things. More interesting would be stats over how many logged in the last 7 days, last month and so on.

So - apparently this gives you more freedom, and the ability to communicate with others without being spied on, has there been any reviews of the system by crypto experts, and what do they say about it?

Or in essence, it's quite interesting, but why should I use it?
camponez

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 02, 2014, 11:36:08 AM

Or in essence, it's quite interesting, but why should I use it?

I see it as a way to create a ring of trust. You only "friend" someone you really trust! So friends of friends you trust should be trustworthy. It's a great way to create a decentralized network for trading. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: