Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:00:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So, what do you love about GHash.io that makes you never want to leave?  (Read 1175 times)
Hunterbunter (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:16:49 PM

Serious question, I haven't used it but I'm curious about what keeps people there when 51% potential attacks rear their ugly heads.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:27:54 PM

Why rehash (hehe.) things that have been covered time and again?  I mean, I expect that sort of thing at reddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2828s9/i_own_a_large_mining_operation_ill_explain_why_i/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1useqk/reason_why_miners_like_me_wont_leave_ghashio_or/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/27wh8x/why_is_ghashio_so_populair/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/27l2vd/eli5_why_do_45_of_the_miners_prefer_ghashio/

...but here?

Hunterbunter (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 12:56:03 AM

Thanks for linking those, I've already seen them. Statistical confirmation.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:07:48 AM

If there's one thing I could throw into the mix - and I'm sure that's been mentioned, too: don't fix what ain't broken.  From the miner's point of view, they know exactly what they're going to get with Ghash - which is not necessarily the case if they switch.  Unless there's a truly compelling reason to switch, people who already use Ghash are unlikely to do so; especially when the major compelling reason tends to get dealt with by the vast mining outfits.. so for smaller miners, that's not very compelling either.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:43:11 AM

If there's one thing I could throw into the mix - and I'm sure that's been mentioned, too: don't fix what ain't broken.  From the miner's point of view, they know exactly what they're going to get with Ghash - which is not necessarily the case if they switch.  Unless there's a truly compelling reason to switch, people who already use Ghash are unlikely to do so; especially when the major compelling reason tends to get dealt with by the vast mining outfits.. so for smaller miners, that's not very compelling either.

Ghash.IO private farm was about 30% of the network.  The 21% needed to overtake the network would have come from individual miners.  If those miner want to jeopardize the security of the network by waiting for somebody else to take action, perhaps humans aren't ready for Bitcoin.
Collider

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:50:18 AM

Their own farm was only ~25% when ghash was near 50%, so basically the farm is ~13% of the network.

Everyone else is just using the pool, because apparently it is good and conveniant.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:14:01 AM

Their own farm was only ~25% when ghash was near 50%, so basically the farm is ~13% of the network.

Everyone else is just using the pool, because apparently it is good and conveniant.

When they had hiccups and kicked off miners on that Monday and Wednesday they both to 27 and 29 PH/s respectively.  The estimated network was 90 (ignoring luck).  So it was 30%.  You can confirm this with OoC or Eleuthria or wizkid.

If those new AM chips don't all head over there then we are good and should have a nice leveling out. I don't want to see Ghash.IO die, it's not like they ran over my dog.  I want to see them responsive to the concerns of the community (since they currently ignore feedback from other pool ops).
bbeesley

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:58:09 AM

I want to see them responsive to the concerns of the community

and their users...they seem to make promises (remember when they promised to allow us to point our GH/s to other pools back in January) and then fail to deliver.   I respect that they have a solid pool but they seem to be regularly saying one thing and then doing another.

1A3vU4r4typS1jNFfaJjvm77ZHMtqEvB4F
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: