Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:58:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Marshall's Bitcoin Auction Results  (Read 15681 times)
RiverBoatBTC

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 01:04:26 PM

Its true
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/sns-rt-us-usa-bitcoin-20140701,0,4038036.story

EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 01:20:40 PM

And the winner is...@TimDraper. Well done, Tim. Don't go spending all your bitcoin in one place. But if you do...https://t.co/JprUxGrxFs

https://twitter.com/barrysilbert/status/484316340992241665

I wonder what the price was!

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 01:24:12 PM

It is great they want to spread the bitcoins and sell them for a profit

Their point is excellent : having bitcoins is protecting itself against weakening governement currencies

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 01:46:48 PM

Part of the mystery is now solved. Now to just determine if it was above/under market price. Doesn't make much sense to bid above market price but it does sort of seem like it was.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:10:13 PM

It is possible that it was bought above current (at the time) price, as BTC marketplace is pretty thin when it gets to large amounts of BTC. If someone bought that much BTC in a single sweep, he would spend ALOT more than current price (at the time) as market is thin and he would raise price for 100-200$ if not even more.
So basicly, if you are that someone and you want to buy large amount of BTC, it would pay off to pay above price on that auction as this is still less than you would pay on exchanges.

DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:39:13 PM

Well it is good to know that someone bought all those coins so they could help spread bitcoin to places that really need it.

This spot for rent.
pm120

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:51:23 PM

Why are most of the losers keeping quiet about what price they bid at?
LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 05:01:26 PM

The don't want to look foolish?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 06:47:07 PM

They will be back when the price goes down 20-30$ Grin

When it goes up to 3000$ then down to 2200$ they will still stay "I told you so, it is going down and it is a bubble"

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:00:00 PM

Bitcoin prices were up 3.1 percent Friday at $597.41 per coin, according to the digital currency exchange CoinDesk.
*facepalm*

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:30:02 AM

Do we know the price paid in any  "private" (over-the-counter, off-exchange) bitcoins-for-cash transaction that is relatively recent and substantial (say, a couple thousand BTC) ?

It is often debated whether such transactions occur above or below the current market price seen on the exchanges.  It would be nice to know at least one example.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:32:35 AM

Perhaps. But I also figured many of the prominent bidders already had considerable skin in this game. It would be in their interest, perhaps, to give the impression that the winning bids were considerably higher than theirs. Speculators gonna speculate. Smiley

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 12:41:23 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2014, 01:11:34 AM by BurtW

Just got this back from my FOIA request

Dear Requester:

The United States Marshals Service is in receipt of your Freedom of Information/Privacy Act request for records maintained by this Bureau.  We have commenced a search for documents responsive to your request and will contact you when our processing is complete.

Although we are unable to determine at this time the amount of fees to be charged to you, if any, the filing of your request constitutes your agreement to pay all applicable fees that may be charged under 28 C.F.R. § 16.11 or § 16.49, up to $25.00.  You will be notified as soon as practicable if the estimated or actual fee for satisfying your request exceeds $25.00.

If you should have any questions, please contact us at (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,

William E. Bordley
                                                                                                                   Associate General Counsel/FOIPA Officer
                                                                                                                   Office of General Counsel

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Skele

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:03:52 AM

That's easy, maybe those people want to pass inconspicuous until some Bitcoin pumping is done...
lay785

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:18:58 AM

Dear Requester:

The United States Marshals Service is in receipt of your Freedom of Information/Privacy Act request for records maintained by this Bureau.  We have commenced a search for documents responsive to your request and will contact you when our processing is complete.

Although we are unable to determine at this time the amount of fees to be charged to you, if any, the filing of your request constitutes your agreement to pay all applicable fees that may be charged under 28 C.F.R. § 16.11 or § 16.49, up to $25.00.  You will be notified as soon as practicable if the estimated or actual fee for satisfying your request exceeds $25.00.

Sincerely,

William E. Bordley
You should post a bitcoin address so people can donate part of the $25 if you get the info.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 04:03:28 AM

Dear Requester:

Sincerely,

William E. Bordley
What exactly were you requesting from your FOIA request? It is already known that the Tim guy was the person who won the auction

This spot for rent.
RiverBoatBTC

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 04:20:14 AM

The amount it is public record I tried to tell you guys this at the start, burtw filed as soon as he could and I commend him for his swift action. The bitcoin community is to retroactive and not proactive in general.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 07:04:51 AM

The amount it is public record I tried to tell you guys this at the start, burtw filed as soon as he could and I commend him for his swift action. The bitcoin community is to retroactive and not proactive in general.
I did it for grins.  It turned out to be way easier than I expected.  I may file some more just for the heck of it.

What exactly were you requesting from your FOIA request? It is already known that the Tim guy was the person who won the auction
I asked for how much he paid.  They have to tell me or come up with a good reason not to tell me.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
RiverBoatBTC

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 07:08:03 AM

I did it for grins.  It turned out to be way easier than I expected.  I may file some more just for the heck of it.

I asked for how much he paid.  They have to tell me or come up with a good reason not to tell me.

Its not protected by any "trade or business secerets" he declared the coins as personal property on the live press release. The only question is how long will it take Smiley, you can also ask them to waive the fee's.

jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:16:27 AM

There is a case to withhold the information out of public interest.  IRS already knows, and that's all that matters at his point.  Hopefully, the buyer will volunteer the info, otherwise the government may be liable for releasing personal information detrimental to his/her safety.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: