Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:04:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 750 Ti rig with 650W PSU, need help!  (Read 1778 times)
bathrobehero (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 03:55:14 AM

So I have a couple of EVGA Supernova NEX650G power supplies and even though on paper one of these should be fine running 6 x 750 Ti's (~400W), I concluded that it can't output enough power through it's peripherals/SATA ports so if I start hashing with 6 cards it will restart almost instantly while running only 5 cards works fine - if I don't overclock. The only way I managed to hash with 6 cards (other than using a 850W PSU)  is to replace two of the 750 Ti's with a brand that need 6-pin power so a bit of the power is coming from the PSU's VGA rail instead of the peripheral/SATA rail. But the hashrates are about 85% of what they should be and I can't even overclock. My question is, can I convert the PSU's VGA or CPU2 channel into MOLEX/SATA for the USB risers somehow, or what can I do?

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/120-PG-0650-GR.pdf

Not your keys, not your coins!
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FlyForFun

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:34:07 AM

Sounds like you don't have molex for your riser.

bathrobehero (OP)
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:58:51 PM

The PSU has 2 peripherals (molex) and 3 SATA ports and they are all being used. Two cards per daisy-chain max. AFAIK USB risers can't work without them being powered anyway.

bathrobehero (OP)
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:12:11 AM

If anyone wondering...

I've been told it's because the PSU's are being multi rail PSU's and not single rail ones which means it can't output it's full capacity though only the SATA/Molex ports. The 650W capacity is divided over multiple rails so pulling 650W from it would only be possible if I were to use the 6(+2)-pin VGA ports aswell, but I don't need any of those. On a single rail PSU I could pull 650W only using the SATA ports as it would come from the same single rail as the 6(+2)-pin VGA ports.
So now I either butcher the cables and connect the 6-pins to the USB risers (which apparently is only using the 12V line of the SATA/Molex and not using the 5V line) or replace the PSU's. But since I don't feel like tinkering with brand new PSU's and they are terribly loud anyway, I'm going to replace them.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: