Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:57:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's not the pet, it's the irresponsible pet owner  (Read 1902 times)
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:22:01 PM

What is wrong with people that won't take responsibility for their animals? 

I know we have many animal lovers in here; even when we can't stand one another for a thousand other reasons, we can at least come together on that; our pets deserve to be protected, and that includes training, leashing and confining, vaccinating, microchipping them or otherwise being sure they're tagged if lost....the whole thing.  It's how we love them, if we truly do.

This is yet another pit bull attack story.  I don't know if it's a breed 'trait' or not, and I guess that could be part of the story and any discussion, but the relevant fact is, he was loose in a front yard as my daughter walked her tiny teacup chihuahua past on his leash.  The pit simply charged at her little guy, came out of nowhere, grabbed him up by the neck and started spinning with him.  A nightmare.  Long story short, my daughter was also bitten and injured (trip to the ER)  trying to get "Stewie" out of his mouth, but Stewie's now partially paralyzed with vertebrae fracture and spinal crush injuries.  She has no vet insurance, and the costs for extensive neurodiagnostics and surgery are prohibitive.  It's looking like the little guy will have to be put down.

I don't know where I'm going with this.  I'm just furious and venting.   

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:39:16 PM

OMG!  Did this just happen to your daughter?  She is lucky she wasn't more seriously hurt....even killed by that pit bull.  And, her poor pup?  The dog owner should pick up the costs for her injuries, and the dogs.  Unbelievable!  I have zero tolerance for dog owners you cannot control their own pets, or don't give a damn.  Too many pit bull attacks happening in our hometown, and elsewhere.  Assume animal control has the dog and are holding it for rabies, or killing the damn thing.  Hope your daughter gets better, sorry for her puppy.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
!SkullY!

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:46:32 PM

It is problem that some owners dont`t have space and knowledge to have such a powerfull bread but the want to be "cool" and than thing like this happen and because of that some good dogs which are trained and with good owners has to suffer because of prejudice people have
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:21:28 PM

You are right, it's not the pet's fault, it's the owner's.  And now the pit will probably pay the ultimate price for it.  As he should, unfortunately, if he's a danger and his owner won't take adequate care to ensure the public and other animals are safe.I know you all must be so heartbroken and so angry all at once.

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:33:35 PM

OMG!  Did this just happen to your daughter?  She is lucky she wasn't more seriously hurt....even killed by that pit bull.  And, her poor pup?  The dog owner should pick up the costs for her injuries, and the dogs.  Unbelievable!  I have zero tolerance for dog owners you cannot control their own pets, or don't give a damn.  Too many pit bull attacks happening in our hometown, and elsewhere.  Assume animal control has the dog and are holding it for rabies, or killing the damn thing.  Hope your daughter gets better, sorry for her puppy.
Thank you.  Won't go into the details, but daughter is pursuing action against the homeowner.  But the pit is still there, and get this...there's a 9 month old baby in that household. 

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 02:36:31 PM

You are right, it's not the pet's fault, it's the owner's.  And now the pit will probably pay the ultimate price for it.  As he should, unfortunately, if he's a danger and his owner won't take adequate care to ensure the public and other animals are safe.I know you all must be so heartbroken and so angry all at once.
Actually she did (briefly) put out an appeal on her facebook page just after it happened..... but I think now she's coming to grips with the grim reality of the situation.  It's just so sad. 

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 02:43:45 PM

Although I would tend to agree that pet owners tend to bring out the worst qualities in their pets it should be realised that some breeds (in particular pit bulls but also other smaller related breeds) were in particular chosen for *one quality* and that is that "they don't respect territory" (which is why they are keen to fight in an unfamiliar place which most other dog breeds would not do).

I used to own such a dog (of the smaller breed variety) and I certainly *never trained my dog to be aggressive* (and luckily he never hurt any human) but he did fight with other dogs which was problematic and costly (I think if I get another dog it will be a different breed).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 06:50:31 AM

Yeah I love animals too but any observer of animals will admit some species or breeds are just more short tempered than other animals.  Even in the primate world we can see that plains baboons are often much more aggressive the jungle baboons.  Pit-bulls were bred to be aggressive.

Sadly the pit-bull owner will probably not feel any pain having his dog put down.  Usually it's some negligent guy who has the dog as a lookout (not all pit-bull owner, just ones who don't train their pets).  If he wants to treat his dog like property, take his dog away by having it put down (which is what the police animal control will probably do).

umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:30:24 AM

I am sooo sorry to hear about this... and the pit bull owner should bear the financial responsiblities for the damage caused by his dog... that would be the right thing to do.  So sad that pit bulls get such a bad rap by horrible owners... my neighbor has a pit who is the most gentle dog.. but because of their rep, I can't help but be a bit wary around her... . Some people should not have animals.. and if they are not fit for animals, they should not have kids either.... sending my prayers.

zolace

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:37:31 AM

Thank you.  Won't go into the details, but daughter is pursuing action against the homeowner.  But the pit is still there, and get this...there's a 9 month old baby in that household. 
I hope your daughter keeps pursuting this, and gets her costs reimbursed.  When my son was bitten years ago at 10, while playing at neighbor's house, another neighbor's dog bit him on leg.  Their homeowner's policy paid all the medical bills.  I cannot believe the pit is still there....didn't they call animal control?  In my son's case, we immediately called animal control, and they came and picked up the dog.  We had a few harrowing days until they could find documentation that the dog had rabies vaccine...they kept the dog for at least 10 days, maybe longer...if with the proof.  And they have a baby in the household.  What is wrong with people???

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:08:24 AM

My neighbor and his dog were also attacked by a loose pit. Marvin (my neighbor) was bitten several times trying to save his small dog. Finally, another neighbor heard the screams of the small dog, and broke it up with a baseball bat. Both Marvin and his dog survived. The pit was owned by a renter across the street, and when the police investigated, they arrested the owner. Turns out he was dealing drugs and had the pit as protection. The police said that having a pit is common among drug dealers.

Years ago, my dad and mom were walking their small dog when a pit charged across the street to attack their dog. Dad lifted their little dog up where the pit couldn't reach it, and was bitten himself. The owner pulled the pit off and explained that she had a new litter and was very aggressive. She didn't explain why she was loose.

Pits were deliberately bred to be aggressive, so it's not their fault, but time after time, when we read about an attack, it's a pit bull. The breed should be banned. They are simply too dangerous.

I'm am so sorry that happened to your daughter. After our labs passed on, we got a tiny Chihuahua, and when walking her one day, I spotted a dog that looked like a pit playing with his owner in the front yard, and unleashed. She was letting the dog attack the stream of water as she watered some plants. I picked up our Chihuahua, and went back the other way. A tiny Chihuahua has no chance against a pit. Most other breeds don't either.

Did she call the police? She can sue the homeowners for this, but she needs to report it. Their liability insurance should pay the vet bills, and also pay for your daughter's traumatization. She has a slam dunk lawsuit, and in this case, the owners need to be punished.
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:10:59 AM

As I said sting, it's complicated.  The homeowner is a friend and neighbor, and he's unwell and terribly upset over this.  The dog is his stepson's.  The dog is vaccinated; she determined that.  She and her husband are seeking remuneration through his homeowner's ins.   

Still, she is being encouraged (by everyone including me) to have animal control take control of the dog but she's reluctant to do it...frankly she's not using the best judgement right now, she's so distracted.  I'm hoping she'll change her mind.  The public needs to be protected from this animal.    Maybe she'll come to that. 

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:22:38 AM

As I said sting, it's complicated.  The homeowner is a friend and neighbor, and he's unwell and terribly upset over this.  The dog is his stepson's.  The dog is vaccinated; she determined that.  She and her husband are seeking remuneration through his homeowner's ins.   

Still, she is being encouraged (by everyone including me) to have animal control take control of the dog but she's reluctant to do it...frankly she's not using the best judgement right now, she's so distracted.  I'm hoping she'll change her mind.  The public needs to be protected from this animal.    Maybe she'll come to that. 
Make sure your daughter calls animal control. That dog should be picked up and quarantined for observation... plus, doing that causes the owner big $$ to get it back (at least it does here) and their homeowner's insurance should be contacted for her bills (that will also put pressure on them to put the monster down, their rates will go sky high). I know it won't save her poor pup, but it might save someone else's -- or a neighborhood kid.
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:29:13 AM

I know your daughter doesn't want to piss off the neighbor, but she needs to think about the safety of others, too-- we had a similar situation years ago in San Antonio. A guy down the block had 3 dogs that kept getting loose and killing cats. Well, after they mauled my cat ( who luckily got away)-- I did some investigating by talking to neighbors and found out they not only killed some kitties (which the dog owner didn't care about), they also had killed a puppy and chased a boy into his home.... They jumped a fence and tore apart a cat in front of a 12 year old girl.  

So I went to the owner, told him what his animals had been up to-- and that I wanted them contained. He hemmed and hawed and I told him that if his animals ever attacked one of my girls I would own his house, his BMW and everything else... then I told the Dad of the little girl who saw her cat killed in her backyard where the dogs that did it lived. I don't know what the Dad told the guy, but the wife of the dog owner came down to our house the next day and bawled at my husband that she hoped I was happy because her husband had the dogs put down.

Well, I was relieved... but I never asked them to do that. I asked them to maintain control. They chose to kill their animals instead of putting in a better fence. They didn't talk to us for years until they had a little girl-- then they seemed to "get it" -- that we were genuinely worried their pack of dogs would maim a child.

She needs to call the authorities.... she would feel terrible if that dog killed again-- what if it is a child next time?

zolace

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:34:52 AM

Same case with us.  It was neighbor's dog, but in our situation, they were nice enough to call and open claim with their homeowner's policy.  I was completely shocked when their insurance company called and wanted to settle with us.

I can only imagine how traumatic this has been for her and that she is distracted, but I would keep encouraging her to call animal control and report the attack.  You are right, the public needs to be protected from the pit bull....including that baby in the household. 

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:38:33 AM

I know your daughter doesn't want to piss off the neighbor, but she needs to think about the safety of others, too-- we had a similar situation years ago in San Antonio. A guy down the block had 3 dogs that kept getting loose and killing cats. Well, after they mauled my cat ( who luckily got away)-- I did some investigating by talking to neighbors and found out they not only killed some kitties (which the dog owner didn't care about), they also had killed a puppy and chased a boy into his home.... They jumped a fence and tore apart a cat in front of a 12 year old girl.  

So I went to the owner, told him what his animals had been up to-- and that I wanted them contained. He hemmed and hawed and I told him that if his animals ever attacked one of my girls I would own his house, his BMW and everything else... then I told the Dad of the little girl who saw her cat killed in her backyard where the dogs that did it lived. I don't know what the Dad told the guy, but the wife of the dog owner came down to our house the next day and bawled at my husband that she hoped I was happy because her husband had the dogs put down.

Well, I was relieved... but I never asked them to do that. I asked them to maintain control. They chose to kill their animals instead of putting in a better fence. They didn't talk to us for years until they had a little girl-- then they seemed to "get it" -- that we were genuinely worried their pack of dogs would maim a child.

She needs to call the authorities.... she would feel terrible if that dog killed again-- what if it is a child next time?
I completely agree with you .  This just happened and really, she can't think straight right now - fresh trauma - but this isn't over.  Knowing my daughter, she'll come back around, and then get angry.  Trust me, she is not someone anyone wants to deal with when she's angry. 

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:50:19 AM

The problem with pit bulls is a lot in their breeding.  Many people have no idea of what they are doing when they breed one dog to another.  They are breeding ones with the aggressive stain to another with an aggressive strain without ever bothering to check pedigrees.  Some people are dumb enough to even breed brother and sister. The very good breed has been destroyed and it is time to say no more pit bulls.  To own one will require a special license and a yard that the dog cannot get out of and a signed statement that they will be held accountable for all actions of their pit bull.

These dogs are very popular with drug runners as they protect their stash.  The owners will intentionally make them more aggressive protect their stash and they don't care about worrying about such things as temperament while breeding..
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:51:02 AM

To all:  thank you for the kind words and sympathy.  I've been preoccupied with this and just needed to tell it.  

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:52:00 AM

I love dogs, but I would never tolerate a biter. When my long-haired dachshund male started trying to bite visitors, I had him put down. People come first.

That pit will attack again. It's what they are bred to do, and I do not agree with the claim that it all depends on the owner. Time and again, supposed 'trained and docile' pits suddenly and without warning, attack another dog or a human, and the owners are always astonished that their sweet pit bull erupted. I'm not surprised at all since that's what they were bred to do by the vicious dog breeders who held arena fights.

I once baby-sat a pit for a friend, and while she was playful and sweet with us, whenever she spotted another dog, she was ready to attack. That's just the way it is.

Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:56:03 AM

God but pits can be beautiful dogs though, the bluecoats are something else.

And the only word I can of to describe the French poodle, the full size, I saw recently is "majestic". If I ever get a dog, isn't a doubt it would be a full size poodle, damn that dog looked so proud and tall. I don't like the whiphounds and the like, scrawny little bony things.

Re chihuahuas and other rat dogs, I'm just tired of seeing them, but they have the advantage of being like a cat in respect to size, and still being a dog in terms of pack mentality, i.e., submission to the alpha. So they're very popular, especially amongst urban dwellers, but I just see WAY too many of them.
 I look at a pet dying in the following manner: if the pet has been loved and treated well, then it has been amongst the most fortunate organisms ever to live, and is far better off than many a human has ever been, is now, or will ever be.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: