Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:28:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacked Linode & coins stolen to 1NRy8GbX56MymBhDYM...  (Read 62088 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 03:39:34 AM

He is currently in possession of stolen Bitcoins from the Linode hack and any coins purchased from him will not be accepted by MtGox or anyone in the Bitcoin community.
I wasn't aware Mt. Gox retained the right to pick and choose which Bitcoins they'll accept. Where can I find their policy on this? What happens if I transfer them coins they choose not to accept? How can Bitcoins remain useful as a currency if people start picking and choosing which coins they'll accept? This increases everyone's risk when accepting Bitcoins to intolerable levels.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 05:48:07 AM

I wasn't aware Mt. Gox retained the right to pick and choose which Bitcoins they'll accept. Where can I find their policy on this? What happens if I transfer them coins they choose not to accept? How can Bitcoins remain useful as a currency if people start picking and choosing which coins they'll accept? This increases everyone's risk when accepting Bitcoins to intolerable levels.
Yep as I mentioned a few pages back Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66916.msg777985#msg777985

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
modrobert

Activity: 355
Merit: 284

-"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 08:48:43 AM

He is currently in possession of stolen Bitcoins from the Linode hack and any coins purchased from him will not be accepted by MtGox or anyone in the Bitcoin community.

Members also agree that Mt. Gox may, in its sole discretion by giving notice, terminate Members' access to the Site and their Account, including without limitation: limit, suspend or terminate the service and Members' Accounts, prohibit access to the Site and its content, services and tools, delay or remove hosted content, and take technical and legal steps to keep Members off the Site if we think that they are creating problems or possible legal liabilities, infringing the intellectual property rights of third parties, or acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of these Terms. Additionally, we may, in appropriate circumstances and at our discretion, suspend or terminate Accounts of Members for any reason, including without limitation: (1) attempts to gain unauthorized access to the Site or another Member’s account or providing assistance to others' attempting to do so, (2) overcoming software security features limiting use of or protecting any content, (3) usage of the Platform to perform illegal activities such as money laundering, terrorism financing or other criminal activities, (4) violations of these Terms, (5) failure to pay or fraudulent payment for Transactions, (6) unexpected operational difficulties, or (7) requests by law enforcement or other government agencies.

This might be relevant as well.

Members acknowledge and agree that their Account may be suspended until they provide Mt. Gox with documents evidencing their identity and/or any other information that Mt. Gox deems necessary to secure the Accounts, the Transactions and/or the Platform.

Source: https://mtgox.com/terms_of_service
Smoovious

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 09:22:35 AM

...we should ask them, really fucking nicely, to do all they can to make sure those coins don't get turned into cash on their xchange.  Tradehill too...
Just to point out, unless they changed their mind in the past few weeks, TradeHill isn't trading anymore, they ceased operations a few weeks ago.

-- Smoov
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 10:55:11 AM

Code:
Your request (#21728) has been marked as solved, pending closure. Should you believe that your request has not been adequately addressed and wish to postpone closure, or should you wish to review or comment upon your request, please follow the link below: 
http://support.mtgox.com/tickets/21728

Mt.Gox Support appreciates any feedback that you may wish to provide.

Mt.Gox Support, Mar 03 19:53 (JST):
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your inquiry. If the coins are stolen from Bitcoinica, your account would be blocked for suspicious activity and investigation. Should you have any further queries, please feel to contact us again.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team

Andrew Vorobyov, Mar 03 19:50 (JST):
What your actions will be if I will deposit coins that were stolen from Bitcoinica?

Ok.. it's clear now...

They follow their own rules and not Bitcoin rules....
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2012, 12:33:38 PM

Ok.. it's clear now...

They follow their own rules and not Bitcoin rules....

what "Bitcoin rules" were you expecting them to follow? your "Bitcoin rules"?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:36:26 PM

The definition of Anti-money laundering is exactly that-- blocks to prevent the laundering of money. Just because it was BTC stolen and not USD doesn't change anything. Don't shoot the messenger just because I was right.

Andrew Vorobyov

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:54:34 PM

Ok.. I had some thinking about it during last 2 hours..

I think it's MTGOX's right not to accept stolen money...  the only thing they can NOT - is to expropriate it...

Imagine somebody was killed during this breach... they even can report that they saw somebody trying to deposit stolen money..

But God forbid them from acting like Bitcoin Police....
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 01:42:36 PM

...?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:10:57 PM

...?

Yeah, you guys act weirdly. I've seen it!  Roll Eyes
SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:27:56 PM

...?

lmao, we probably do, but we actually do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that not many people see.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 02:47:48 PM

...?

lmao, we probably do, but we actually do a lot of stuff behind the scenes that not many people see.

heh, that was just my weird sense of humour at work, not a statement of fact at all Cheesy
SomeoneWeird

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 03:43:50 PM

...?

heh, that was just my weird sense of humour at work, not a statement of fact at all Cheesy

haha i figured, still. Smiley
Andrew Vorobyov

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 06:02:24 PM

"bitcoin rules" Huh
WTH hell are you talking about man ... time to lay off the vodka.

I'm talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungibility

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 06:20:38 PM

It looks that also user database has been compromised. Although passwords are stored in SHA1 with salt, I strongly recommend to change your password on the pool immediately.

I have been trying for a while now. I haven't gotten the email that page says will be sent to allow one to do that.

Are you sure you did enter your correct email-adress? Because, when entering an address that is not in the system, the page doesn't respond with an error, just reloads the same page again.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 09:33:54 PM

isn't there legal precedent for criminal charges taken against individuals who stole world of warcraft items?  even if the courts don't treat bitcoin as currency or a derivative, there seems to be a clear path for legal action against the theft of digital assets of value.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 09:50:58 PM

isn't there legal precedent for criminal charges taken against individuals who stole world of warcraft items?  even if the courts don't treat bitcoin as currency or a derivative, there seems to be a clear path for legal action against the theft of digital assets of value.

It's the best we have IMO... if we ever get any solid evidence about who's the perp. The main difference is WoW's items being perfectly locatable so the legal dispute was just about the criminality of the act. Now, to get law enforcement to try to find out who was it, that's a different matter.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:00:29 PM

"bitcoin rules" Huh

Which relates directly to what I said 10 pages back Smiley
I'll be surprised if they offer to cover any losses ... imaginary money and all that hooey
Well that's easy to resolve.
Give them a new slush address and tell them transfer in the same imaginary money that was lost.

Which of course, if it did happen, would mean one (or a combination) of 2 things:
1) Linode got back the stolen bitcoins and gave them to slush et al who lost them
2) Linode went and bought $X00K worth of bitcoins and gave them to slush et al who lost them

There is of course the interesting effect of 2) ... and who would gain from that ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
modrobert

Activity: 355
Merit: 284

-"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 05:33:39 AM

"bitcoin rules" Huh

I think Andrew makes perfect sense, even before the wiki link.

After reading Mt. Gox terms of service over and over again, it is probably easier to just describe it like this:

"We do as we please with your account, but if you play nice we might send your held currencies to a bank account upon termination. We also reserve the right to change our mind at any time."

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 04:03:26 AM

After reading Mt. Gox terms of service over and over again, it is probably easier to just describe it like this:

"We do as we please with your account, but if you play nice we might send your held currencies to a bank account upon termination. We also reserve the right to change our mind at any time."
That's pretty typical of terms of service. That's why it's very important to distinguish what the terms of service say and what a company actually does. Mt. Gox's terms of service claim to allow them to steal someone's Bitcoins, but they certainly don't have a policy of doing that. (Nor could they actually get away with it if they tried.)

Quoting their ToS in response to a question of whether Mt. Gox actually has a policy of rejecting "tainted" Bitcoins is spectacularly unhelpful. The question is -- what would Mt. Gox actually do if someone deposited Bitcoins traceable to the Linode theft into their account. And my hope would be that they might notify authorities or notify the depositor, but they most certainly would process that deposit normally, absent some evidence the depositor was involved in the theft somehow.

Almost anything else destroys the usability of Bitcoins. If I have to worry that my Bitcoins might become unspendable in the future, how can I accept them as payment?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: