Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:29:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooling help (10-15 KW)  (Read 815 times)
sulrak (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 12:33:50 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2014, 12:57:39 AM by sulrak

Hi
I'm wondering how much cooling I need for my asics.
I got a little trailer 150 width x 240 length x 170 height. My plan is to but my asics into this to be able to transport it easily. I will cut a hole trough the wall for each asic so they will draw air from outside the trailer, therefore I expect it would get quite hot with 10-15 miners at 1kw each... But if I put a big exhaust at the top of the trailer wouldn't I spare quite a bit on cooling considering I'm only using power to get the hot air out and not cool it down/or suck it in...

Anyways if I'm doing my calculations with 10 miners it would be: 10000 * 3.412 =34120 BTU. So do you guys think I really need that much cooling (34120 BTU) for this or would it suffice with less considering the miners will always draw from cool air outside the trailer ? Any ideas are welcome Smiley
Sorry for my english Smiley

I'm living in norway so the outside temp is 20 +/- and -20-30 celsius at the winter.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 01:30:25 AM

Reverse your layout. Have the miners exhausting out through the walls, and then a mediocre fan drawing air inside. You might not even need that fan at all. With no hot air actually remaining inside, there is no heat at all.

Do be careful if ambient drops below a few C as you'll start getting condensation on cold surfaces (miners that are off) or casing.

xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8102

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:48:19 AM

Hi
I'm wondering how much cooling I need for my asics.
I got a little trailer 150 width x 240 length x 170 height. My plan is to but my asics into this to be able to transport it easily. I will cut a hole trough the wall for each asic so they will draw air from outside the trailer, therefore I expect it would get quite hot with 10-15 miners at 1kw each... But if I put a big exhaust at the top of the trailer wouldn't I spare quite a bit on cooling considering I'm only using power to get the hot air out and not cool it down/or suck it in...

Anyways if I'm doing my calculations with 10 miners it would be: 10000 * 3.412 =34120 BTU. So do you guys think I really need that much cooling (34120 BTU) for this or would it suffice with less considering the miners will always draw from cool air outside the trailer ? Any ideas are welcome Smiley
Sorry for my english Smiley

I'm living in norway so the outside temp is 20 +/- and -20-30 celsius at the winter.

Calculations are as follows:

Q(cfm)=(3.16 x P)/dT(f) or
 Q(cfm)=(1.76 x P)/dT(c)

where Q(cfm) is the required flow in cubic feet per minute required to dissipate power P (expressed in watts) using the difference in temperature dT in either Fahrenheit (f) or Celsius (c)

for example if you wish a maximum 20 Celsius degree rise for 10kW worth of mining equipment:

Q=(1.76 x 10,000)/20
Q= 880 CFM

of course in the winter you will have a larger dT of up to 70 which means

Q=(1.76 x 10,000)/70
Q= 250 CFM

The size of your enclosure is not a consideration for this application.  If you were trying to ventilate a bathroom, then you would need the dimensions in order to select an appropriate fan/blower.

These might work http://www.aeroflotech.com/ecatalog.php?fantype=residential&fid=65&s=In-Line+Duct+Fans# along the side walls of the trailer as near the top as possible.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: