Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:06:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Allow sub-forum creation  (Read 759 times)
norgan (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 02:41:39 AM

When I first came to this board I was shocked by the flatness of it. The tree depth is very shallow and each thread is so long.

This makes it near impossible to properly look up information.

Each subforum should allow users to create subforums.

e.g.

Mining => hardware should have sub forums for each manufacturer and then types of queries as below:

Mining => hardware => Bitmain => S1 => setup
Mining => hardware => Bitmain => S1 => tech support
Mining => hardware => Bitmain => S1 => overclocking
Mining => hardware => Bitmain => S1 => misc

To be quite honest I wonder why anyone even uses Bitcointalk with such a messy way of posting and responding to posts.

I know I struggle with it and I see things asked over and over again when it could more easily be found by looking in those deeper sub-forums, this would in turn save many posts since it has already been asked and answered elsewhere.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CAPTcoin

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 02:51:37 AM

Or maybe adding tags would be enough?
norgan (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 03:38:08 AM

Or maybe adding tags would be enough?

Tags are one thing but it would just read and browse so much better if the hierarchy were sorted. looks at forums such as Xda-developers and how much easier it is to find information. if you want info on a specific device, go to that devices subforum. if you want dev related into go to development in that devices subforum or development in the platform subforum.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
Nagato4

Activity: 625
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 04:58:35 AM

You may use the forum search or google search with "site:bitcointalk.org".

Not sure if I understand your idea correctly. Do you mean any users can create subforums as they want?
If that is the case, I am afraid it could be and would be abused to create lots of craps...

norgan (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 05:07:44 AM

You may use the forum search or google search with "site:bitcointalk.org".

Not sure if I understand your idea correctly. Do you mean any users can create subforums as they want?
If that is the case, I am afraid it could be and would be abused to create lots of craps...

I think the search is limited and there should be more granular presentation of sub-forums. Maybe not let everyone create but make it easier to create them and/or create more of them.
Each pool, hardware vendor, sub-type should have a sub-forum. as it is now there is one main then one level down.

norgan (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 05:21:06 AM

Lets say that each of the bigger topics such as bitmain hardware, pools, software such as bfgminer etc are actually subforums that assigned moderators are allowed to then create more subforums under.
Any individual can request a new subforum for when they run up a new project, be it hardware or pool or whatever.

I think this would create a more orderly hierarchy

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 11:10:06 AM

Lets say that each of the bigger topics such as bitmain hardware, pools, software such as bfgminer etc are actually subforums that assigned moderators are allowed to then create more subforums under.
Any individual can request a new subforum for when they run up a new project, be it hardware or pool or whatever.

People don't adhere to even the flat hierarchy as it is now - they won't with anything deeper.

norgan (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 11:27:10 AM

People don't adhere to even the flat hierarchy as it is now - they won't with anything deeper.
That's always a struggle but that will always be a problem which will not make any difference to enabled deeper hierarchy.
I reckon you warrant your own subforum just for hardware guides for example.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: