Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:47:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone publishing bitcoin address on a web site. use ssl!  (Read 2017 times)
asdf (OP)

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 10:29:56 AM

I've noticed some web sites are publishing addresses on their sites for donations, etc. over unencrypted connections. I thought I'd point out, to anyone who doesn't realise it, that you are vulnerable to man in the middle attacks.

Any MITM can rewrite your address to theirs and receive all your payments! Especially tor exit nodes, which are known to engage in this behavior.

Any payment related pages should be treated the same as a credit card payment gateway, in security terms. That means use SSL!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fetokun

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 02:20:00 PM

is this kind of attack really that easy?

AaronM

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 11:36:38 PM

Yes, SSL is very important for Tor users.  Tor exit nodes have been caught doing shenanigans like stealing webmail passwords, and this is no more difficult for a malicious exit node.

Spare some BTC for a biology student? 1DZcEUEo9rX7LQWcYzVR6Btqj2sMqRznbB
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 11:55:11 PM

I can envision all sorts of deceptions being applied to get people to send money to the wrong address. Variations of the things scamers use now. "Donate to the red cross to help flood victims: f6UG92n8k..."

It's sad we think so much about all this security stuff. Undecided

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 12:03:06 AM

AaronM and RodeoX are already breaking that rule...
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2011, 12:26:59 AM

huh Huh
Because of the address in my sig? I was more thinking about how someone might misrepresent who's address it was. The one in my signature will change if I ever get an offer to "work for bitcoins". 

bitlotto

Activity: 672

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2011, 01:56:26 AM

Know of any free hosts that have ssl for logging in and having my website in?

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 12:23:55 AM

huh Huh
Because of the address in my sig? I was more thinking about how someone might misrepresent who's address it was. The one in my signature will change if I ever get an offer to "work for bitcoins". 
But it's posted on a non-HTTPS website, so potentially, it could be at risk for such attacks as the one described.  Not likely, but hey, you never know...

Also, a forum moderator/admin could change your signature to include their own address instead, and hope you don't notice, though I suppose that a risk inherent with any posts on any forums.
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 12:45:42 AM

huh Huh
But it's posted on a non-HTTPS website, so potentially, it could be at risk for such attacks as the one described.  Not likely, but hey, you never know...

Also, a forum moderator/admin could change your signature to include their own address instead, and hope you don't notice, though I suppose that a risk inherent with any posts on any forums.

Just browse the forum using https. So according to me they didn't break the rule!  Wink

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 12:48:38 AM

Just browse the forum using https. So according to me they didn't break the rule!  Wink

But of course a MITM is super easy for the Bitcoin forums, with that silly self-signed cert, 90% won't notice if it is replaced with a different one.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 01:09:07 AM

But of course a MITM is super easy for the Bitcoin forums, with that silly self-signed cert, 90% won't notice if it is replaced with a different one.

If I'm using TOR, what would be safer? using plain http and risking a MITM attack or risking one from the forum?

TOR2WEB
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 02:01:45 AM

With plain http you got both risks, with ssl only the forum one

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:02:59 AM

If I'm using TOR, what would be safer? using plain http and risking a MITM attack or risking one from the forum?
Your website is failing at life...

"Oops! Google Chrome could not find bitlotto.com"
bitlotto

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 03:10:51 AM

Thanks. I shouldn't have touched those DNS settings...dang it. It will come back, I promise! At least I didn't do it on draw date!! Shocked

TOR2WEB
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 03:51:21 AM

Thanks. I shouldn't have touched those DNS settings...dang it. It will come back, I promise! At least I didn't do it on draw date!! Shocked
Tongue

At least you're not taking the money and running!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12977

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:36:54 AM

A MITM attack is only easy the first time you access bitcoin.org with HTTPS. After that, your browser will warn you about changes in the cert.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 02:28:35 PM

huh Huh

I was thinking that my login password here provides some protection. But your right, MITM attack would work and admins here might switch addresses. As a security check, try sending me 100BTC and I'll post here if I receive it.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: