Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:56:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news: Zhoutong will buy 40k bitcoins to return to his client  (Read 4831 times)
finway (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:21:11 AM

And the hacker can't sell his coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:26:23 AM

Zhoutong need not buy the bitcoin at once. He can earn the bitcoin he needed in the next 3~6 months.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 08:28:38 AM

How come the cracker can't sell the stolen BTC.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:29:15 AM

Has zhoutong said so? Nope. So stop your penny stock rumors. Thanks.

We know he holds enough Bitcoin profits to be able to cover this.
finway (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:34:43 AM

Because Mtgox will ban them.

finway (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:36:03 AM

He can't be holding 40k Bitcoins ?

If he do, he's really bullish!  

He should buy them ASAP.

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 08:37:06 AM

Because Mtgox will ban them.

What I should have said is how will they know the BTC are stolen?

finway (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:40:45 AM

I don't know, ask MtGox, they've done so before.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:45:10 AM

He can't be holding 40k Bitcoins ?

If he do, he's really bullish!  

He should buy them ASAP.

Yes, I have heard him say that he holds quite a lot of Bitcoins, as he is bullish long term.

MtGox holds lots of Bitcoin profits, too. They don’t sell them either.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:45:23 AM

I don't know, ask MtGox, they've done so before.

They can track the address's  - but the the coins are being spread around to many wallets
and probably will be diluted so much that it will very hard to catch.

They coins can be sold very very slowly and not necessarily through mtgox

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
finway (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 08:51:46 AM

They can track the address's  - but the the coins are being spread around to many wallets
and probably will be diluted so much that it will very hard to catch.

They coins can be sold very very slowly and not necessarily through mtgox

I bet you're right.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 09:04:39 AM

If he's bullish then presumably he would wait and buy on dips. He could handle withdraw demands from offline holdings and replenish on dips thus stabilizling the market. Whether that's in his best interest I don't know. Maybe he makes more off certain kinds of market volatility. Whatever the case my impression is that he's plenty smart enough to figure out the best way to handle it for his best long term interest.

ultima

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 02:19:17 PM

There is no way to ban hacker's address. He can move them around thru different bitcoin services, then sell them OTC or use them to buy something, then what? Someday you will get some of the coins that came from his address and mtgox will blame you. This is stupid, but completely expected from mtgox.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 02:30:43 PM

There is no way to ban hacker's address.
Well, if the majority of miners refuse to process transactions originated by thiefs, then the address would effectively become banned. Think of it as a "51% defense" (homage to 51% attack).
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 02:59:02 PM

The most likely action the thief will take will be to use the coins on SilkRoad. They don't need to cash out on any of the normal exchange.

Right now they're worth less than a clean bitcoin but still have value, and will be traded into oblivion in the black markets until they eventually seep out into the general economy.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
ultima

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 03:03:36 PM

Well, if the majority of miners refuse to process transactions originated by thiefs, then the address would effectively become banned. Think of it as a "51% defense" (homage to 51% attack).

The same problem is still there. I sell something for bitcoins (instant purchase), the hacker immediately spends his bitcoins (before some central authority decides to ban the address) and I am left with a bunch of worthless bitcoins in the end.

This would undermine the whole p2p currency, "controlled by no one" concept. I think every sane miner would stop using a pool that would try to control the network in any way.

So, yes it could be done, but it would destroy bitcoin as we know it.
Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 03:52:37 PM

There is no way to ban hacker's address. He can move them around thru different bitcoin services, then sell them OTC or use them to buy something, then what? Someday you will get some of the coins that came from his address and mtgox will blame you. This is stupid, but completely expected from mtgox.

no it's not stupid, it's ethical and it is the bitcoin community regulating itself ( buying/selling drugs? cool  Stealing bitcoins? not cool)

those bitcoin services will have to check if these bitcoins are suspicious before accepting them, otherwise they might have worthless bitcoins in their hands

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 04:12:14 PM

How would you check them?

Banning coins is much more detrimental to Bitcoin as a whole. It destroys confidence in the system.

MtGox has temporarily locked accounts in order to to try and trace stolen coins, but I don't know of any instances where they confiscated any.
Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 04:19:36 PM

I suppose they go through all the parent transactions. If these stolen coins go through an anonymizer, or other stolen coins from another hack, Mtgox will ban every transaction that are child transactions of bitcoins that come out of that anonymizer.

I don't blame them.

> Banning coins is much more detrimental to Bitcoin as a whole. It destroys confidence in the system.

Seems to me like the system is evolving. Nothing you can do about it, except starting a different cryptocurency.
In the end, if it regulates itself, Bitcoin might end up looking just like the current banking system and that would be logical, since this is a deterministic system after all.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 04:24:46 PM

I suppose they go through all the parent transactions. If these stolen coins go through an anonymizer, or other stolen coins from another hack, Mtgox will ban every transaction that are child transactions of bitcoins that come out of that anonymizer.

I don't blame them.

> Banning coins is much more detrimental to Bitcoin as a whole. It destroys confidence in the system.

Seems to me like the system is evolving. Nothing you can do about it, except starting a different cryptocurency.
In the end, if it regulates itself, Bitcoin might end up looking just like the current banking system.

Not MtGox. How would you check them? Are we going to have to ask MtGox permission before exchanging any Bitcoin? Any business that's accepting BTC will have to send queries to MtGox to see if it's "ok" to accept coin from a customer? That's ludicrous.

If Bitcoin "evolves" into the current banking system it will lose a lot of its inherent value.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: