Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:31:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Successful Attacks on 100% POS-coins  (Read 1931 times)
human (OP)

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:17:10 PM

Hi there!

Have there been any successful attacks on 100% POS-coins like Blackcoin, Vericoin or NXT?

Has somebody tried to attack them? What experience did you make while doing it?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
human (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:33:44 PM

NxT was attacked multiple times but it was mostly ddos
So far the only successful attack was on a pow coin "Worldcoin" this is what i know.
There have been many successful attacks on POW-coins already. I am interested in POS-coins only in this thread.

How did NxT overcome those DDoS-attacks?
reRaise

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:34:22 PM

Someone try this

[HOWTO] kill any 100% PoS coins owning less than 1% of all coins.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=604716.0
reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 03:40:07 PM

Someone try this

[HOWTO] kill any 100% PoS coins owning less than 1% of all coins.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=604716.0

Pure Fud and buzz words, Op of that thread don't even code so he is not understanding the fundamentals of pos.

Do you code?
human (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 05:02:45 PM

If it is not secure, the earlier we hack it, the better for the cryptocoin community. We just move on.

If it is secure, than 100% POS-coins and their holders have nothing to fear. That simple it is.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 08:21:57 PM

If it is not secure, the earlier we hack it, the better for the cryptocoin community. We just move on.

If it is secure, than 100% POS-coins and their holders have nothing to fear. That simple it is.

+1
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 09:58:24 PM

I would really, really like it if some serious BTC/LTC whales could pool all of their funds and launch a 51% attack on NXT....please, do it for the kids.
Make the nasty NXT go away....... Roll Eyes

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 10:22:18 PM

I would really, really like it if some serious BTC/LTC whales could pool all of their funds and launch a 51% attack on NXT....please, do it for the kids.
Make the nasty NXT go away....... Roll Eyes

or just ignore it.. that is what i do

and as far as the topic is concerned i always though no but honestly i am not sure..

hmm i will scroll down and see how many more topics had the keyword NXT slipped in lol

FUD first & ask questions later™
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 10:37:34 PM

Not sure it is quite that simple but you do have a point about testing the security of PoS. There is still the matter of finding a coin not monopolized by the mining industry.
human (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:01:52 PM

Not sure it is quite that simple but you do have a point about testing the security of PoS. There is still the matter of finding a coin not monopolized by the mining industry.
So far POS seems to be more secure than POW. Several known attacks on POW-coins but none for POS-coins.
Magic8Ball
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 29, 2014, 11:14:12 PM

So far the only successful attack was on a pow coin "Worldcoin" this is what i know.

If you are talking of PoW, FTC was attacked multiple times but they never managed a double spend. So basically wasted hashpower.
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:09:48 AM

If you are talking of PoW, FTC was attacked multiple times but they never managed a double spend. So basically wasted hashpower.

Either Chinacoin or Whitecoin was 51% attacked successfully a few months ago (I think it was Chinacoin). Caused Crypsty all kinds of headaches cause thats who the hackers went too in order to double spend (not that I care, with amount that crypsty screws other people lol).

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
human (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 10:54:11 AM

Either Chinacoin or Whitecoin was 51% attacked successfully a few months ago (I think it was Chinacoin). Caused Crypsty all kinds of headaches cause thats who the hackers went too in order to double spend (not that I care, with amount that crypsty screws other people lol).
Whitecoin swaps PoW for PoS after falling victim to 51% attack - http://altcoinpress.com/2014/05/whitecoin-swaps-pow-for-pos-after-falling-victim-to-51-attack/
XbladeX
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:11:49 AM

Whitecoin swaps PoW for PoS after falling victim to 51% attack - http://altcoinpress.com/2014/05/whitecoin-swaps-pow-for-pos-after-falling-victim-to-51-attack/
IN short newbie devs have POW while WC should be switched to POS... they used PURE POW coin code not POS...
Attack 51% was when POW part was going on with 0 reward... for 7days in WC.
They ddos-ed main pool and lunched 51% attack.

Request / 26th September / 2022 APP-06-22-4587
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 12:42:32 PM

If you can ddos the pool and then perform a 51% attack, it's still a vulnerability of the design. PoW pools are vulnerable.
counter

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:12:23 PM

So far POS seems to be more secure than POW. Several known attacks on POW-coins but none for POS-coins.

That is good to know because I've been reading some negative posts about proof of stake being a joke but not sure exactly what the issue was some have  with it.  With PoW it is clear what the problems are to me and that is the 51% attack.  I guess with PoS it can be hard to verify the work down?  I'm really unsure but I can't help but feel PoS is a superior option in many was to PoW.
smalltimer

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 12:51:00 PM

That is good to know because I've been reading some negative posts about proof of stake being a joke but not sure exactly what the issue was some have  with it.  With PoW it is clear what the problems are to me and that is the 51% attack.  I guess with PoS it can be hard to verify the work down?  I'm really unsure but I can't help but feel PoS is a superior option in many was to PoW.

pos can be a huge mess in case someone manages to own 51% of coins at one point. 51% pow takes a lot of hashpower, 51%-attack pos is very profitable and doesn't need much equipement. Buy 51%, sell maybe for a gain, then fork and sell 51% again, then fork again. No need for expensive mining-equipement. In case of succesful attack coins in peoples wallets become invalid. Maybe people wouldn't even realize it's a 51% attack and just wonder why they have invalid coins.
Could have happened already with xbc and others. The attack can be carried out over and over again with no additional costs.
Now they mine those pos-coins in a week or less. They are not good distributed. I wouldn't buy a pos-coin with such a short pow-mining-timeframe. To introduce pos the coin needs to be very well distributed to limit the ability of someone to gain 51%
All those pos-coins with those very short pow-phases are really ultra-risky investement.
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:03:24 PM

Buy 51% of coins, yeah right, a clear case of completely flunking math at school.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 01:06:10 PM

Do you even code bro?
counter

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 11:08:02 PM

That is good to know because I've been reading some negative posts about proof of stake being a joke but not sure exactly what the issue was some have  with it.  With PoW it is clear what the problems are to me and that is the 51% attack.  I guess with PoS it can be hard to verify the work down?  I'm really unsure but I can't help but feel PoS is a superior option in many was to PoW.

pos can be a huge mess in case someone manages to own 51% of coins at one point. 51% pow takes a lot of hashpower, 51%-attack pos is very profitable and doesn't need much equipement. Buy 51%, sell maybe for a gain, then fork and sell 51% again, then fork again. No need for expensive mining-equipement. In case of succesful attack coins in peoples wallets become invalid. Maybe people wouldn't even realize it's a 51% attack and just wonder why they have invalid coins.
Could have happened already with xbc and others. The attack can be carried out over and over again with no additional costs.
Now they mine those pos-coins in a week or less. They are not good distributed. I wouldn't buy a pos-coin with such a short pow-mining-timeframe. To introduce pos the coin needs to be very well distributed to limit the ability of someone to gain 51%
All those pos-coins with those very short pow-phases are really ultra-risky investement.

Something tells me that it isn't quite so easy to fool a whole community dedicated to seeing a coin last long term.  Maybe who aren't paying attention and are apart of a pump and dump.  It' is an interesting type of scam none the less.  I think like you suggested that if the coin is well distributed then this type of thing is not a big issue, I'm thinking we are basically on the same page.  Thanks for the detailed reply. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: