Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:34:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question regarding electronics  (Read 776 times)
FlutterPie (OP)

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:46:32 AM

So I have a few bitcoin miners that require barrel connectors. I have 3 setup currently. Here is a question, I have the barrel connectors, can I just solder the barrel connectors to a plug which I cut off something else. Plug in the bitcoin miner and expect it to work without a problem?

The 3 I have going now are hooked up to a PSU. And unless I wanted to basically destroy it I can't hook up more. The miners require 12 volts. So if I just solder a plug to the barrel connector, the miner should only pull what it needs (12 volts) and it should work right?
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:15:04 AM

If I understand you correctly...

This depends if your PSU is powerful enough for the additional equipment you want to run. Check the watt numbers. Don't push it too high and leave some reserve.

If you use your own cables, make sure their gauge is big enough for the needed current.

Also, make sure you get positive and negative right (polarity) Wink

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
FlutterPie (OP)

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:22:23 AM

If I understand you correctly...

This depends if your PSU is powerful enough for the additional equipment you want to run. Check the watt numbers. Don't push it too high and leave some reserve.

If you use your own cables, make sure their gauge is big enough for the needed current.

Also, make sure you get positive and negative right (polarity) Wink

Thank you, Im probably not good at explaining things. I was talking about how the 3 that are running currently are running off a PSU. The 4th I will not be able to connect to the PSU.

I actually cut off the plug from an old electronic. So I have the part that plugs into the wall and wires at the other end.

If I match the positive and negative on the barrel connector to the plug, solder the barrel connector to the plug. Would that work just fine?
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:12:04 AM

Hm, since there is a risk of destroying some of your equipment and I'm still not sure if I understand you correctly, I will not comment just yet.  Cool

Can you maybe post a picture of the equipment involved? What to you want to connect to which? Are you talking about something like this as your second PSU? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Wall-Wart-AC-Adapter.jpg/800px-Wall-Wart-AC-Adapter.jpg

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: