Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:48:59 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI U.S. Marshals Auction Prices Leaked! (Bullish)  (Read 10898 times)
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:32:00 AM

I understand there are a lot of fees involved when buying that many Bitcoins, but $274 worth of fees per Bitcoin? Huh

That would mean they paid $39,549,708 over market value.....

It doesn't make any sense. I expected them to go higher than market value due to fees of buying that much Bitcoin, but $274 per Bitcoin is a little much.

I could of bought them that many Bitcoins and only taken a $100 per Bitcoin cut ($14,434,200.)  Wink

I guess you need to take into account of how buying this much Bitcoin would affect the market, but damn that seems like a lot.

No, actually you can't, if I gave you $20m right now and ask you to return me 32000 BTC in a week, you can't do it on open exchange without pushing the price up to $800-$900 level.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:43:16 AM

I understand there are a lot of fees involved when buying that many Bitcoins, but $274 worth of fees per Bitcoin? Huh

It doesn't make any sense. I expected them to go higher than market value due to fees of buying that much Bitcoin, but $274 per Bitcoin is a little much.

I could of bought them that many Bitcoins and only taken a $100 per Bitcoin cut ($14,434,200.)  Wink

I guess you need to take into account of how buying this much Bitcoin would affect the market, but damn that seems like a lot.

No, actually you can't, if I gave you $20m right now and ask you to return me 32000 BTC in a week, you can't do it on open exchange without pushing the price up to $800-$900 level.

That's true but why would you want that many btc at once? Spending spree at overstock?

If you want to hoard that many buy them slowly over a few weeks time and pay no markup over spot.

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:02:25 AM

That's true but why would you want that many btc at once? Spending spree at overstock?

If you want to hoard that many buy them slowly over a few weeks time and pay no markup over spot.

Yeah, given that Bitstamp itself deals with 17,000+ BTC a day, it shouldn't be too hard to buy a thousand a day at market price over the course of the month. Given that your giving your details to the government anyway with the US marshal's auction, I don't see how that would be much different than giving the necessary documentation to an exchange for AML/KYC purposes. Unless of course you don't trust the exchange...
WoopDeBoop

Activity: 271
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:38:13 AM

Second market have already said that some of their bids were market value -10%

So they went for at least market value -9% on that day which was $570 - $51.3 = approx $520

At an absolute minimum.

$520 is the minimum this bidder bid, and for them to be 1% over the next highest bidder on every block seems unlikely, but that remains the absolute minimum they could have paid.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:47:38 AM

Second market have already said that some of their bids were market value -10%

So they went for at least market value -9% on that day which was $570 - $51.3 = approx $520

At an absolute minimum.

$520 is the minimum this bidder bid, and for them to be 1% over the next highest bidder on every block seems unlikely, but that remains the absolute minimum they could have paid.

Which is good news for us. They won't be dumping them on the market looking to make an immediate profit.

freedomno1
Legendary

Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:22:17 AM

Yep if the spread is market less 9 % that means that at minimum its above that price if not at market or a premium
Still a few outcomes on this one either way I hope that we find out instead of being left to wait in the dark for a month or two
Sooner is better ^_^

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
kokojie
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:03:43 AM

There's a ton of reasons, for example there's currently several ETN trying to launch on wall street, and all of them will need a ton of BTC reserves on hand to start their operations. Or maybe just some rich guy thinking BTC price will explode in the coming weeks and trying to get in as soon as possible, and he might be right (or wrong).

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:15:14 AM

There's a ton of reasons, for example there's currently several ETN trying to launch on wall street, and all of them will need a ton of BTC reserves on hand to start their operations. Or maybe just some rich guy thinking BTC price will explode in the coming weeks and trying to get in as soon as possible, and he might be right (or wrong).

If there is any markup at all to these coins he could have saved money by buying them slowly at multiple exchanges with not much more time than they waited for the bid date. The only reason to bid at all is to either get screwed or buy below spot.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:38:58 AM

If there is any markup at all to these coins he could have saved money by buying them slowly at multiple exchanges with not much more time than they waited for the bid date. The only reason to bid at all is to either get screwed or buy below spot.

These are now 100% Clean Bitcoins in the eyes of US - almost like a new minted bitcoin that you just mined - no future questions at all.

Who cares what the government thinks and we don't have blacklisting so it doesn't matter.

DannyElfman

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:59:35 AM

These are now 100% Clean Bitcoins in the eyes of US - almost like a new minted bitcoin that you just mined - no future questions at all.
Since bitcoin is fungible any coins are just as good as any other coins. The only exception would be freshly "minted" (mined) coins that have not matured yet. 

This spot for rent.
Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 05:42:35 AM

It should be obvious why BlackRock / Pantera Capital would want to buy "verifiably clean" bitcoins.
DannyElfman's assertion that "Since bitcoin is fungible any coins are just as good as any other coins" is misguided.
What happens when BlackRock "the world’s largest asset manager" with more than $4.32 Trillion US dollars under management pushes the issue, and Wall Street Investors demand "verifiably clean" bitcoins?
Who wants to be associated with "criminal activities" and "terrorists" using unqualified coins? Smiley
Wake up and smell the coffee man Wink
freedomno1
Legendary

Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 05:45:36 AM

Well I watched the press conference video
From that all I know is that he outbid the other bidders so I guess two ways to approach it
1. Ask what other people bid for that lost
2. Get him to spill the beans  Cool

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 05:48:07 AM

i remember there was some guy who wanted to "mark" good bitcoins and kind of cause a fork.. well, i don't see that really happening with the cooperation of the government, since the US marshals sold silk road coins.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:12:13 AM

I dont buy it. The numbers are too round and too high
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:09:32 AM

It should be obvious why BlackRock / Pantera Capital would want to buy "verifiably clean" bitcoins.
DannyElfman's assertion that "Since bitcoin is fungible any coins are just as good as any other coins" is misguided.
What happens when BlackRock "the world’s largest asset manager" with more than $4.32 Trillion US dollars under management pushes the issue, and Wall Street Investors demand "verifiably clean" bitcoins?
Who wants to be associated with "criminal activities" and "terrorists" using unqualified coins? Smiley

I won't really care what happens to Bitcoin at that point because I will have moved on to another crypto-currency.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 07:11:34 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2014, 03:38:49 AM by BurtW

I dont buy it. The numbers are too round and too high
Are you talking about the OP?  Obviously the OP is just a steaming pile of trollshit.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
gjgjg

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:02:27 AM

From that all I know is that he outbid the other bidders so I guess two ways to approach it
2. Get him to spill the beans  Cool

Well, I read on a number of places that he spent ~18mil$ on the 30k coins, so that comes to about $600 per coin - about 10% more than the market value on the same day as the auction Smiley

now i hope the cheap ass bidders who lost are spending their unspent money on the exchanges buying BTC the old fashioned way

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 05:07:43 PM

2. Get him to spill the beans  Cool

Well, I read on a number of places that he spent ~18mil$ on the 30k coins, so that comes to about $600 per coin - about 10% more than the market value on the same day as the auction Smiley

now i hope the cheap ass bidders who lost are spending their unspent money on the exchanges buying BTC the old fashioned way

$18 mill is a more reasonable number. Reuters was reporting that I believe.  That sounds about right for a purchase of that many coins.   Slight discount, but nothing atrocious...
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:13:48 PM

Do investors in money market accounts demand clean currency? Do forex traders only buy and sell "clean" currency? Currency is currency is currency. 

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:14:47 PM

I think whenever you put currency into wall street's hands it automatically becomes dirty.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: