Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:08:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wrote down wrong encrypt  (Read 1143 times)
missy888 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 11:24:57 PM

i just downloaded wallet has no coins forgot encrypt uninstalled wallet same on came back when reinstalled can i still i use it, how do i start over?
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2012, 11:53:54 PM

If your wallet is encrypted, and you lost or forgot the passphrase, then there is no recovery of the Bitcoins available; they are gone!

Since 90% of the concern is Internet hackers and intruders, not people with physical access to your pc, it would be best when you re-create your wallet that you write down the passphrase and store it in several places. Or just not encrypt the wallet.

Before getting started, close Bitcoin. This means making sure it is not running in the system tray or hidden either.

To delete the wallet (and lose all bitcoins in it forever), you need to manually explore to the Bitcoin data directory and remove the file wallet.dat. On a Windows PC, you can open Windows Explorer, and type %APPDATA%\Bitcoin into the location bar to change to the Bitcoin data directory. Once there, look for the file wallet.dat (it may just say "wallet" if you have hidden file extensions), and rename it to something like wallet-forgottenpassword. Restart Bitcoin and it will create a new wallet file.
missy888 (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 12:13:00 AM

If your wallet is encrypted, and you lost or forgot the passphrase, then there is no recovery of the Bitcoins available; they are gone!

Since 90% of the concern is Internet hackers and intruders, not people with physical access to your pc, it would be best when you re-create your wallet that you write down the passphrase and store it in several places. Or just not encrypt the wallet.

Before getting started, close Bitcoin. This means making sure it is not running in the system tray or hidden either.

To delete the wallet (and lose all bitcoins in it forever), you need to manually explore to the Bitcoin data directory and remove the file wallet.dat. On a Windows PC, you can open Windows Explorer, and type %APPDATA%\Bitcoin into the location bar to change to the Bitcoin data directory. Once there, look for the file wallet.dat (it may just say "wallet" if you have hidden file extensions), and rename it to something like wallet-forgottenpassword. Restart Bitcoin and it will create a new wallet file.
thanks, also if i close the wallet i have to restart my computer to open it again. i also downloaded ubuntu disc can i put a wallet on that
Jela

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:33:05 PM

thanks, also if i close the wallet i have to restart my computer to open it again. i also downloaded ubuntu disc can i put a wallet on that

do you mean the bitcoin programme when you are talking about "the wallet"? there is no need to restart your computer after doing anything with bitcoin.

yes, you can run bitcoin also on a linux distribution like ubuntu.
deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 03:41:14 PM

The default settings for a new Bitcoin install are for it to go minimized to the system tray when you press the close button. Look for it running with the yellow "B" symbol by the clock.
GideonGono

Activity: 2016
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 11:20:34 AM

What if you have forgotten the exact password (as in the exact spelling) but you still remember roughly what it was? Is there some program which you can feed this data into and it will crack the password.

Please, any help will be appreciated.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 11:21:12 AM

hai i lost bitcoin password in wallet and downloaded solidcoin how 2 update fork chain?

deepceleron
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 11:39:20 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2012, 12:22:38 PM by deepceleron

What if you have forgotten the exact password (as in the exact spelling) but you still remember roughly what it was? Is there some program which you can feed this data into and it will crack the password.

Please, any help will be appreciated.
There are no external utilities I know of yet that allow direct access to an encrypted wallet.dat to try passwords, although there are some threads on this forum discussing how the encryption is implemented (for adding support to pywallet and other wallet-manipulation tools). When somebody writes the example code to access encrypted wallets, it can be used in a password brute-forcer such as those available at http://www.crark.net, but from my past experience it is still a computational challenge to find a "my password might have been like xxxxx".

Probably the easiest way to test some passwords is to run bitcoind (daemon), and then make and run a script/batch file with "bitcoind walletpassphrase TryThis 60" on each line, where TryThis is replaced with the password to attempt, which can be from a character generator. That will do about one password a second, and when you don't get an error, that's the password.
Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 11:53:08 AM

People have to realize that the wallet password is the only thing standing between them and the Bitcoins. No central authority that can "unlock" them, or give them back the coins. This is why it is extremely important to write down the password, or write useful hints that could help them recover it. To take it one step further, I would suggest people giving the password to their relatives or beloved one, with detailed instruction what to do in case something happens to them.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: