Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 08:00:01 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The real bitcoin killer app is already here  (Read 3061 times)
daviducsb (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 01:04:16 AM

And it is sitting right under everyone's nose...

It is the finite supply and thus the power for bitcoin holders to earn interest.

Bitfinex, Huobi, and Delta Financial are already offering interest bearing bitcoin accounts. They lend the bitcoin out to margin traders. Adoption of this model could revolutionize Wall Street, commodity trading, and many other financial platforms. Apply it to a currency that is a lot less inflationary than the US dollar and most US currencies and you have legitimate interest rates with real returns.

I am not saying all three of the above will survive. One or all could possibly crash and burn. But the idea of doing what is tantamount to peer to peer lending for margin trading is really avant garde and is an incredible feature that only works with bitcoin due to its finite supply.

Combine that with the ability to earn interest on a scarce supply currency and you have a killer app!

What we ought to be doing as a community now is helping to vet the platforms on which BTC holders can earn interest, ask for rigorous audits, and for those platforms that deserve it, spread the word that there is a currency out there with a limited supply that pays a real, dependable rate of interest.

Now a few on this site will probably bust my chops for calling bitcoin a currency and put me down on semantics. Some more will say all three sites offering interest are a scam. For the head in the sand skeptics and tin foil nuts, please don't waste your time, I'm already anticipating your nonsense, as this site is not exactly known for level headed clear thinking.

What would instead be fruitful would be a discussion of how we can refine this killer app. for which there is a real need in a world of central bank manipulation of the money supply and 0% interest rates. Refine, verify, and publicize and watch bitcoin adoption grow.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:30:59 AM

I like the idea but I am quite hesitant to put anything on the line to try it until they have been around a while. I made the mistake once of being the guinea pig and will not do that again.

daviducsb (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:39:34 AM

That's totally understandable. That's why bitcoiners ought to work together to pressure those entities to OK third party accounting and other checks. Which will make them stronger and enable more mass adoption...

With the blockchain and a concerted effort, there ought to be a way to do this.

The alternative, I suppose, is to wait for the heavy hitters like coinbase, bit pay, and bitstamp to offer interest. You would think the former two could find a market-effiecient way to pull it off. Maybe inventory advances, peer to peer lending or something else...

The ability to earn interest is a very attractive feature...
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:42:34 AM

That's totally understandable. That's why bitcoiners ought to work together to pressure those entities to OK third party accounting and other checks. Which will make them stronger and enable more mass adoption...

With the blockchain and a concerted effort, there ought to be a way to do this.

The alternative, I suppose, is to wait for the heavy hitters like coinbase, bit pay, and bitstamp to offer interest. You would think the former two could find a market-effiecient way to pull it off. Maybe inventory advances, peer to peer lending or something else...

The ability to earn interest is a very attractive feature...

Agreed. If they go ahead with the independent audits I would feel safer for sure. 

factor280

Activity: 326

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:38:39 AM

More industry regulations are required in order for this to be a reality. Too easy to pack up and leave. We would need an agency protecting the funds.

Sig Space for Rent! PM Me.
Gladdy

Activity: 318

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:45:26 AM

They are all in diffrenct country i don think they will crash .
daviducsb (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:55:16 AM

The thing to do would be maybe to create an entity that will vet and perhaps even ensure certain of these platformsn exchange for a fee from the entity . The entity ought to be backed by VC money, which would have an interest in spreading bitcoin use. And all parties would be subject to reserve wallet audit via the blockchain and other methods. Win-win for everyone.

Kind of like what Andreas A. did with bitstamp , but more formal, with a set audit methodology that applies to every participant and so on.
Keyara

Activity: 174

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:59:36 AM

What is the current rate right now?
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:00:00 AM

I don't see what this has to do with finite supply or with  bitcoing in general.
It's just people lending each other some currency for an interest, and some trading platforms
facilitating this. FOr example, bitfinex offers the exact  same service for USD accounts.
daviducsb (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:44:41 AM

You missed the point completely but maybe I didn't articulate it well enough. The idea is that bitcoin is more suitable to earning real interest because unlike other currencies, central banks can't just print away and devalue the currency while you earn interest on it. Yes you can earn interest on other currencies, but if you lose the same amount of purchasing power that you earn in interest, the net result is 0 and thus discourages saving. With bitcoin you have a finite supply thus interest earned is more real....

(unless BTC crashes and never catches on which, while possible, is looking less likely these days)

I don't see what this has to do with finite supply or with  bitcoing in general.
It's just people lending each other some currency for an interest, and some trading platforms
facilitating this. FOr example, bitfinex offers the exact  same service for USD accounts.

novacn

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:54:59 AM

Good point, although Huobi's trade volumn is fake number.

lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:58:44 AM

lending the bitcoin out to margin traders is risky investment. The traders would take as much as risk as his margin account is allowed. Until the last moment, the traders can't afford to pay back. How would the companies offering such service secure the  interest payment without risking the capital?
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:03:09 AM

while i love BTC i have to say.. BTC was first cryptocurrency and didnt understand everything.

would you rather ride 1st care ever made or run any of todays cars? if BTC doesnt adop to changes/ideas it will die sooner or later

yolo
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:06:32 AM

I like the idea a lot. Even a low rate of growth would beat just sitting in my wallet. Indepedent audits mentioned above are a good idea. Trust has to be earned in the bitcoin universe though and after reading these forums for a couple of weeks I don't give it out lightly.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 06:12:38 AM

Great thread...OP talks about marketing the fact that you can earn interest on a currency that is not inflationary and it is followed by half the posts talking about how it cannot be done.

It is being done people.

Welcome to Bitcoin, have a look around.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Fioraver

Activity: 472

Gamblica Pre-Sale launch 01.03.2018!

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 10:05:05 AM

Killer is coming!!!

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 11:38:07 AM

wouldn't many people go bankrupt/default on their loans if they take a loan in bitcoins?

how are they going to pay when they borrowed a bitcoin and suddenly the bitcoin is worth 10 times more?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 11:56:24 AM

wouldn't many people go bankrupt/default on their loans if they take a loan in bitcoins?

how are they going to pay when they borrowed a bitcoin and suddenly the bitcoin is worth 10 times more?

Instead of explaining this.

Create a BitFinex account.

Load up some bitcoins.

Loan out some bitcoins.

Get paid.

I made about 1 BTC earlier this year over the course of about 2-3 weeks loaning bitcoins on BitFinex (while the price was falling).

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Sydboy

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 12:22:27 PM

Is this really an idea or what people have been doing since day 1.
maybe i dont understand the idea.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 01:01:06 PM

What is the current rate right now?
500%+ year over year.

I've held for about 9 months. In that time BTC went from ~150 to ~650

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: