Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:13:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversation I had with my girlfriend the other night  (Read 7785 times)
chickenado (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 05:42:22 PM

GF: You never get off that damn computer. What are you doing anyhow?
me: Uhm, just ... sorting out my finances.
GF: And why is this taking up so much time? Are you opening your own bank??
me: Actually, that's pretty close to the truth.

Perhaps it's time I tell her about my involvement with Bitcoin. It's been 6 months now and I still haven't told anyone about it. I can't exactly explain why, but I'm really nervous about coming out.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 05:47:17 PM

Bitcoin coming out? Tongue That's crazy.

You're using a superior currency, just let people know! They'll probably be interested.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 05:48:37 PM

I told my wife about Bitcoin while we were on holiday, and she agreed that I could spend some money on it. I bought a 5870 GPU card, and bought some coins.

I made sure she understood that, although the possible upside was big, it was quite possible that Bitcoin would come to nothing. That way, if it tanks, she won't be too upset.

My teenage daughter was also in the conversation, and she asked all the right questions about the technicalities of the Bitcoin system. I was impressed!
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 05:55:40 PM

You greedy bastard. I would hate for me to get rich by buying BTC, but seeing all my friends not gain from it because of lack of knowledge.
I'm spreading the word. If they're smart, they'll listen and buy.

Seriously, I think Bitcoin will reach $1000/BTC this year.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
ribuck
Donator

Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 06:44:07 PM

I would hate for ... my friends not gain from it because of lack of knowledge.

I've told my friends about it too. Half of them think it's a scam, and the other half think it's an irresponsibly reckless investment.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 06:50:59 PM

Wife tells me as soon as I buy something nice for her with it she'll take it seriously.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 07:17:33 PM

So far I got my dad and 1.5 friends invest some mediumly serious money in it.

And quite a few more people that are curious.
I guess another month from now, when bitcoin jumps X3 AGAIN, that might be enough to interest them some more.

What I love about Bitcoin is how it separates the optimists from pessimits/realists. I'm an optimist, and this is why I think bitcoin will go sky high. My friends might understand bitcoin's technical, but most are less optimist than me, so haven't made the commitment yet.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 07:31:19 PM

Wife tells me as soon as I buy something nice for her with it she'll take it seriously.
http://www.bitcoinsextoys.com/  Cheesy

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 07:39:21 PM

I bought my daugher a necklace off of Etsy a couple months back.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 07:47:22 PM

My wife has been pressuring me for the last month or so to use her investment funds to buy BTC...I kept telling her to wait. Oops.
sexybit

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:40:43 AM

I tried to explain bitcoin to my gf yesterday... i simplified it by explaining that a btc was an answer to a very difficult question\problem. Eg - that 1 answer (1 BTC) represented 1 day of computer-time, or 1-thousand years of human labor. She got that part.

However after 60 minutes of banter she had enough and screamed "BUT WHY THE F#$@# would anyone want to purchase answers to questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"..... i shut my mouth from then on.

Distribution

Activity: 711

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:46:42 AM

My girlfriend absolutely hates Bitcoins because she knows how obsessive I become with things that I think are valuable. She just wishes I would stop talking about it and use that energy to do something like go back to school (anyone know of a school accepting Bitcoins for tuition?).
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 06:10:18 AM

I tried to explain bitcoin to my gf yesterday... i simplified it by explaining that a btc was an answer to a very difficult question\problem. Eg - that 1 answer (1 BTC) represented 1 day of computer-time, or 1-thousand years of human labor. She got that part.

However after 60 minutes of banter she had enough and screamed "BUT WHY THE F#$@# would anyone want to purchase answers to questions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"..... i shut my mouth from then on.

Lol, Bitcoin is the answer to a serious problem. The answer to: find x s.t. sha256(data+x)<00000000004b3ffa.... isn't so serious or interesting.

Maybe focus on the problem Bitcoin solves :-)

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 08:51:59 AM

Cheating on your GF with Bitcoin? LOL!!!

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 12:37:34 PM

My GF says its "cuckoo crazy" and whenever I tell her its reaching a new record high she says all the more emphatically, "you need to sell!".  I tell her she said the same thing last time.  Then when there's an eery silence over a very shallow market, and I worry it has topped and is about to tumble down, I tell her I'm selling and I sell some.  Then it goes up another 50 cents.  So I tell her it just went up another 50 cents and she said "why didn't you sell 50 cents higher?!"  I buy back in 50 cents higher.

I'm going to stop taking her advice.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
AmpEater

Activity: 232
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 12:55:37 PM

My GF says its "cuckoo crazy" and whenever I tell her its reaching a new record high she says all the more emphatically, "you need to sell!".  I tell her she said the same thing last time.  Then when there's an eery silence over a very shallow market, and I worry it has topped and is about to tumble down, I tell her I'm selling and I sell some.  Then it goes up another 50 cents.  So I tell her it just went up another 50 cents and she said "why didn't you sell 50 cents higher?!"  I buy back in 50 cents higher.

LOL
chickenado (OP)

Activity: 1036

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:51:47 PM

My GF says its "cuckoo crazy" and whenever I tell her its reaching a new record high she says all the more emphatically, "you need to sell!".  I tell her she said the same thing last time.  Then when there's an eery silence over a very shallow market, and I worry it has topped and is about to tumble down, I tell her I'm selling and I sell some.  Then it goes up another 50 cents.  So I tell her it just went up another 50 cents and she said "why didn't you sell 50 cents higher?!"  I buy back in 50 cents higher.

I will tell my GF that I already got the money back that I invested, so whatever happens, no harm done. I am definitely not selling the rest of my Bitcoins though, whatever she says.  I will wait until the bitter end/ glorious future of Bitcoin.  
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2011, 06:21:19 PM

My GF says its "cuckoo crazy" and whenever I tell her its reaching a new record high she says all the more emphatically, "you need to sell!".  I tell her she said the same thing last time.  Then when there's an eery silence over a very shallow market, and I worry it has topped and is about to tumble down, I tell her I'm selling and I sell some.  Then it goes up another 50 cents.  So I tell her it just went up another 50 cents and she said "why didn't you sell 50 cents higher?!"  I buy back in 50 cents higher.

I will tell my GF that I already got the money back that I invested, so whatever happens, no harm done. I am definitely not selling the rest of my Bitcoins though, whatever she says.  I will wait until the bitter end/ glorious future of Bitcoin.  

Instead of just you know, holding onto the btc hoping for it to appreaciate, why not invest in ina company or business priced and operated in btc, like on the stock exchange that's opening....around monday.

glbse.com

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
gigitrix

Activity: 630

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 08:16:38 PM

Told my housemates, and the one with the heavy gaming machine made quite a bit on mining. I bought in at $0.6 though, so it's all good!
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 09:20:36 PM

Instead of just you know, holding onto the btc hoping for it to appreaciate, why not invest in ina company or business priced and operated in btc, like on the stock exchange that's opening....around monday.

glbse.com

Cool.  Its like a Ponzi scheme on top of a ponzi scheme.  I love it!

j/k (kinda)

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: