Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:09:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in 10 Years: 4 Predictions From SecondMarket's Barry Silbert  (Read 1794 times)
cryptocurrencylive (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Crypto Currency Live News

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 01:29:19 PM

Bitcoin in 10 Years: 4 Predictions From SecondMarket's Barry Silbert

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/235290

1. Bitcoin will enable Facebook to provide remittance, banking and person-to-person money transfer services to its users.
2. Every e-commerce website will accept Bitcoin.
3. Western Union and MoneyGram’s existing remittance businesses will be decimated.
4. Bitcoin will fuel new, innovative micropayment-based online business models.

Crypto Currency Live News

http://cryptocurrencylive.com/newest
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:11:14 PM

I like his optimism and hope he's right, but who knows if bitcoin will still even be around in ten years. I don't look that far ahead but I hope it's still going strong in a decades time. Facebook integration would be great but I think they will try come up with their own coin or type of currency. I just can't see them not capitalizing on this.
2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:38:58 PM

Only time will tell but who knows, I think it will have a major role in our lives every day.
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 05:14:45 PM

I think this is a bit too much. Predicting what's gonna happen after 10 months about anything is almost impossible and he is trying to predict what's gonna happen after 10 years. Maybe BTCitcoin will be even bigger than what he predicted and maybe not but we'll know when the time comes.

mubashir

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:34:57 PM

Next 10 days  Huh , Next 10 years  Grin
E-valuta

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:20:00 PM

Yeah obviously he's talking about 10 months and not 10 years. If that's the only change Bitcoin has had to itself and done to economics/society in 10 years i'd say Bitcoin is a bigger fail than.. anything ever existed.

elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:47:14 PM

It's a bit crazy to think Facebook will use Bitcoins. They have a walled garden approach to everything. If anything they could emerge as the big competitor to Bitcoin in the future, when/if cryptocurrency has gone mainstream.
NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:47:39 PM

The prediction is spot on the trend.

We are just at the beginning at retail giant joining in the bandwagon. As soon as more join up, even other country retail channel will join and may end up by passing fiat money all together.
Nerazzura

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:32:51 PM

I think this is a bit too much. Predicting what's gonna happen after 10 months about anything is almost impossible and he is trying to predict what's gonna happen after 10 years. Maybe BTCitcoin will be even bigger than what he predicted and maybe not but we'll know when the time comes.
true, no one can predict how the future will come bitcoin. like a few years ago, no one would have predicted bitcoin high value now. and the next 10 years will be better or worse. we can only watch and hope
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:45:19 PM

It's a bit crazy to think Facebook will use Bitcoins. They have a walled garden approach to everything. If anything they could emerge as the big competitor to Bitcoin in the future, when/if cryptocurrency has gone mainstream.

Facebook is big, but not invincible. The users will eventually demand bitcoin or move to a newer social platform.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 06:18:06 PM

Bitcoin in 10 Years: 4 Predictions From SecondMarket's Barry Silbert

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/235290

1. Bitcoin will enable Facebook to provide remittance, banking and person-to-person money transfer services to its users.
2. Every e-commerce website will accept Bitcoin.
3. Western Union and MoneyGram’s existing remittance businesses will be decimated.
4. Bitcoin will fuel new, innovative micropayment-based online business models.

No.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
qwerty555

Activity: 405

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 06:43:10 PM

Facebook is big, but not invincible. The users will eventually demand bitcoin or move to a newer social platform.

Maybe now is the time to create and  launch a bitcoin based social network facebook competitor. For all we know its already being worked on.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:45:23 PM

I agree with everything, except Facebook. Facebook will be mostly history 10 years from now. They have no real business model and people are getting more critical regarding invasion of privacy.

I'll add another prediction:

5. Influence of central banks will be decimated, because fiat money is no longer state of the art.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:55:13 PM

Agree with 2,3, and 4. Facebook will have gone the way of myspace by then.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 11:09:38 PM

and replaced with?

name me one other service that has 1billion regular users. i actually find that although i hate facebook ethics.. something like facebook which is designed for ease of use, could be what makes bitcoin "granny proof" to send funds to any of their friends/relatives

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 11:11:37 PM

and replaced with?

name me one other service that has 1billion regular users. i actually find that although i hate facebook ethics.. something like facebook which is designed for ease of use, couple be what makes bitcoin "granny proof" to send funds to any of their friends/relatives

Not possible as most governments consider such services to be Money Service Businesses which are highly regulated, controlled and require very expensive licencing.

Well, it is possible but not possible to keep "Granny" (The government) out of it without getting a little blackhat.

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 11:16:25 PM

5. to Da Moon!

PalmerLaura

Activity: 116

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:22:22 AM

Kind of an odd set of selections, especially for 10 years out. Maybe he's playing it safe or trying not to freak out the nice entrepreneurs?

If you look at what's going on this year with various blockchain technologies -- decentralized apps, Maidsafe, Ethereum, etc. -- and suppose that even 20% of those endeavors will move forward in some significant way, I think in 10 years it would be much more likely there isn't a Facebook, or at least not as we know it.

PalmerLaura

Activity: 116

IPSX: Distributed Network Layer

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:23:25 AM

Remittence businesses are even less likely to exist. Being 10 years out, the conversion to fiat may not be an issue -- keeping your value in crypto will likely be acceptable or possibly preferred. I suspect that even crypto-based money transfer services (bit-pesa, the Philippines folks, etc.) will be gone by then, replaced by pure wallet-wallet p2p transactions.

Interesting read, but pretty tame. Maybe he just doesn't want to come off like some crazed, moon-eyed redditor...

logger

Activity: 138

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:28:34 AM

Interesting article, but what I found more interesting is that Entrepreneur.com seems to have a writer focused on Bitcoin.
Nice!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: