Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:24:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kuwait finance firm suggests trading oil in bitcoins  (Read 2371 times)
cryptocurrencylive (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Crypto Currency Live News

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 01:34:52 PM

Kuwait finance firm suggests trading oil in bitcoins

http://www.gulf-times.com/eco.-bus.%20news/256/details/398622/kuwait-finance-firm-suggests-trading-oil-in-bitcoins

Crypto Currency Live News

http://cryptocurrencylive.com/newest
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 01:56:42 PM

Now that would be a great success for bitcoins if oil companies started trading in them. Makes me excited to see what other industries could take advantage or deal in btc.
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:08:45 PM

Before any barrel will ever be paid for in bitcoins, it will be the Chinese yuan that has taken on the role as the dollar’s challenger. China already pays Russia’s and Iran’s oil in yuan and is busy setting up yuan clearing houses in major financial centres all over the world to facilitate the global money flow of its currency. This is, for now, probably a much better solution until the world knows what will rally happen to bitcoin.

Freudian slip??  Grin
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:19:10 PM

One way or another, the US establishment will suggest not to. I hope they do it though.

Vires in numeris
Justine

Activity: 169

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:35:57 PM

US might invade Kuwait for abandoning dollar for bitcoin.
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:24:26 PM

That will be the day. Good idea but the chances of this happening any time soon are close to zero I think.

It would be interesting to see what would happen though.
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 03:37:25 PM

watch the usa invade kuwait for not selling their oil with usd fiat
on trumped up terrorist actions

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

One way or another, the US establishment will suggest not to. I hope they do it though.

Would Make sense for US to do this as they are sitting on 144k of DPRs coins that cant be sold to public until case is over.  Image if the 29k coins just sold where traded for oil instead of at public auction.

The scenario is that after being tied up in the courts for years the 144K BTC from DPR finally become the property of the US Government. In the meantime the price of bitcoin goes to say 2,000,000 USD in 2014 USD and the 144K BTC now owned by the US treasury are worth more than all the gold the US treasury "supposedly" owns.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:57:22 PM

Imagine crude and brent oil are quoted in bitcoin! The day that happens, gold quotes in bitcoin is not far away. That will be a heavy blow to the dollar. Oil traders would have to buy our bitcoin to buy crude oil! I know quote in bitcoin doesn't mean settlement in bitcoin, but then just the thought of that is mind blowing.  Shocked
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:30:45 PM

That is really encouraging news!

watch the usa invade kuwait for not selling their oil with usd fiat
on trumped up terrorist actions

Unfortunately this really could happen if kuwait has no powerful allies. But I think they will form a coalition with other countries before taking any steps to replace the USD as trade currency.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:10:53 PM

I would doubt this would ever happen. The reason oil is traded in dollars is because the dollar is so widely traded and the dollar market is so liquid.

There is more oil traded in a day (in terms of market price) then the market cap of bitcoin is. This would result in constant huge swings in price of bitcoin as people try to move in and out of oil.

This spot for rent.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:34:47 PM

I would doubt this would ever happen. The reason oil is traded in dollars is because the dollar is so widely traded and the dollar market is so liquid.

There is more oil traded in a day (in terms of market price) then the market cap of bitcoin is. This would result in constant huge swings in price of bitcoin as people try to move in and out of oil.

These factors will change. The dollar will loose liquidity and bitcoin will gain liquidity (massively). Of course this will not happen overnight. Step by step "apostate" countries will leave the dollar sphere, thereby decreasing the importance of USD as reserve currency.

You're reversing cause and effect in your argument: The USD is widely traded and liquid, because oil is traded in dollars. Not the other way around.
Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:41:02 PM

These factors will change. The dollar will loose liquidity and bitcoin will gain liquidity (massively). Of course this will not happen overnight. Step by step "apostate" countries will leave the dollar sphere, thereby decreasing the importance of USD as reserve currency.

You're reversing cause and effect in your argument: The USD is widely traded and liquid, because oil is traded in dollars. Not the other way around.

Yeah, things would be quite a bit different if oil was traded in a currency other than USD. That is definitely one of the major things that support the USD's spot as the world reserve currency.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:54:32 PM

this makes me think that if putin really wants to give a "fuck you" to the US, then he'll possibly try to implement this. i think he's already made an agreement to trade in chinese yuan though. if that happens, though, it might turn the US government against bitcoin.. since oil is a really, really big industry.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 05:56:58 PM

This would be the big moment everyone is waiting for. That much sudden demand would drive the up the price at an incredible rate.

Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:04:18 PM

This would be the big moment everyone is waiting for. That much sudden demand would drive the up the price at an incredible rate.

Indeed Those will be movements of millions of millions of dollars,  Roll Eyes hope that Kuwait suggestion becomes reality and so it will; after Bitcoin enters to

Nasdaq everything would be possible...
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 06:13:09 PM

US might would invade Kuwait for abandoning dollar for bitcoin.

FTFY
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 06:31:42 PM

i guess at this point in history the story is a storm in the water glass. maybe...maybe we will see this in 5-10 years.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 06:52:33 PM

I'm inclined to agree.

One way [read: coercion]

-or-

another [read: violence AKA "force" in 1984-speak]

Protip: If you want to control how people think, control their language. Thought is structured by language. This is what the Nation-State has done.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 10:00:08 PM

US finance firm suggests trading oil in bitcoins
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: