Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:43:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the critical point above which bitcoin is officially mainstream?  (Read 2091 times)
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 01:56:43 PM

Now with newegg accepting bitcoins, and every news channel reporting bitcoin, all the action happening around, can we officially claim bitcoin has entered mainstream?

If not, then what is the critical point above which we can officially declare bitcoin has gone mainstream?
cuddaloreappu (OP)

Merit: 502

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:05:50 PM

When you are blowing cocaine up a hooker's ass. On a beach. Every day.

you mean both the coke and hooker purchased with bitcoin?
Dogtanian

Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:07:19 PM

I think we'll know when it's hit mainstream. It hasn't currently but has started to break through. I think when you can spend it in a few shops in the mall or on the street and many major retailers such as Amazon and ebay accept it then we'll be at mainstream adoption.
sevenz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:09:55 PM

what was the critical point above which the internet was officially mainstream?

The answer is only known in retrospect.

In terms of the internet, I would say the web became more mainstream when browsing services like AOL dumbed down the concept of being online to people making it a "no think, just point and click" zone.

I think systems such as CoinBase have been trying to do just that, but it's not quite there yet.
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:11:04 PM

Nearly every merchants accept BTC payment essentially  along with existing card payment. Employees are happy to take BTC salary.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:12:40 PM

When both amazon and walmart accept it, all the previous merchants are big for us, but tiny compared to amazon/walmart, they do like 1% of their sales volume.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
commandrix

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 02:56:08 PM

Possibly when you get as much lending and borrowing with Bitcoin as you do at the banks and credit unions, when you can buy a cupcake for a little bit of Bitcoin at most bakeries, and when you can start buying stocks and bonds with Bitcoin.
Dogtanian

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:05:10 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2014, 03:39:09 PM by Dogtanian

what was the critical point above which the internet was officially mainstream?

The answer is only known in retrospect.

In terms of the internet, I would say the web became more mainstream when browsing services like AOL dumbed down the concept of being online to people making it a "no think, just point and click" zone.

I think systems such as CoinBase have been trying to do just that, but it's not quite there yet.

The internet took quite a while to become mainstream but technology moves 10 times as fast nowadays, not to mention obviously bitcoin is built around the internet. There will be services or payment processors that make it easier for people to use that's for sure. I don't think it's as complicated as many people make out though.
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:23:15 PM

when a large dinosaur payment processor like western union or paypal feels like it has to incorporate or get totally left behind
and/or ebay adding

think that will fuel a rush of normal people buying and multiple merchants accepting on a daily basis

I personally don't think that far off. later in year

I also still think we'll be in $1500 range inside 2 months

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
Nautica

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:24:28 PM

when a large dinosaur payment processor like western union or paypal feels like it has to incorporate or get totally left behind
and/or ebay adding

think that will fuel a rush of normal people buying and multiple merchants accepting on a daily basis

I personally don't think that far off. later in year

I also still think we'll be in $1500 range inside 2 months

Alright, MEGACOIN.
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 03:38:17 PM

mainstream is when bitcoin replaces usd as world reserve currency

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4487

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:14:37 PM

main stream when these questions all answer yes
1) find a stranger and ask them, do they know what bitcoins is? (stranger because you probably told people you know, so unfair)
2) ask the stranger if they know someone that has used bitcoin?
3) can you use it as part of your daily life?
4) can you reach a merchant without having to drive 50 miles+

some area's of the world will be mainstream far before others. EG facebook and mcdonalds is not mainstream in parts of Africa, but certainly is in america.

bitcoin is getting there in parts of the US, but not every city..

but world mainstream is when those 4 questions aply to everyone. (which i do not expect for a few more years).

so just concentrate on mainstreaming your own area, and let the rest of the bitcoiners/world concentrate on their area's to then combine and become world wide main stream.

i think someone smart once said, dont worry about the rest of the world, just concentrate on your own little area, if everyone just concentrated on their own area,.. the whole world will be a better place

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:15:27 PM

Bitcoin will be mainstream when the last central bank closes its doors.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4487

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:19:50 PM

Euro is mainstream, but dollar still exists.. eurozone didnt need to kill american banks for euros to go mainstream...
it just means that euros are mainstream in europe.

going mainstram does not mean nothing else can live. mainstream means anyone can access and use it. and it can co-habitate.

killing off the banks is AFTER mainstreaming. we first need to mainstream to offer average joe the alternative. then the banks can get shut down

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:23:01 PM

When you can use it just about anywhere it is main stream. Credit card acceptance is nearly universal. I would consider that a decent benchmark. 

Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:52:36 PM

That will never happen, or still a long way to replace fiat completely.

I believe Bitcoin will be used worldwide, as a better, faster and safe way to move money, selling, buying and making transactions; but classical paper bartering will still a little longer, at least in places or countries with poverty problems.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 07:27:19 PM

I would summarise mainstream for bitcoin is "when shops expect a drop in sales if they do not accept bitcoin as payment". It is like going into a shop today and they do not accept credit cards.
maxl

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 07:28:23 PM

I think Bitcoin gets mainstream when everybody can use it for their daily business like paying at the supermarket with bitcoin. Or on the gas station and so on.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2014, 08:25:57 PM

When you are blowing cocaine up a hooker's ass. On a beach. Every day.

you mean both the coke and hooker purchased with bitcoin?
No, he means cocaine, hooker, and private island were purchased with bitcoin.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Robert Paulson

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:34:40 PM

when bitcoin does at least 50 transactions per sec (that's what paypal does).
we are at 0.8...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: