http://ubld.it/products/truerng-hardware-random-number-generator/
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2014, 03:18:51 PM

I don't know much about that device or company behind it, but I will say that a true HWRNG is overkill if you are creating a couple wallets and don't mind doing dice or cards yourself.  Why?  Because you need like 100 bytes of entropy per year to create a few wallets.  Most HWRNGs produce X kB per sec (the quantum RNGs produce 10 MB/s).  I'm sure this device is good, but the random numbers Armory uses for the online computer are not only cryptographically secure, we throw in a bunch of other entropy from mouse clicks, system files, etc, to ensure even better entropy.  

If grandma was going to use Armory, we'd say just use the built-in RNG -- we use it and we trust it.  If you're going to do some custom thing, use dice or cards.  If you need to create millions of independent private keys, the HWRNG is probably the best choice.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 01:56:54 PM

I don't know much about that device or company behind it, but I will say that a true HWRNG is overkill if you are creating a couple wallets and don't mind doing dice or cards yourself.  Why?  Because you need like 100 bytes of entropy per year to create a few wallets.  Most HWRNGs produce X kB per sec (the quantum RNGs produce 10 MB/s).  I'm sure this device is good, but the random numbers Armory uses for the online computer are not only cryptographically secure, we throw in a bunch of other entropy from mouse clicks, system files, etc, to ensure even better entropy.  

If grandma was going to use Armory, we'd say just use the built-in RNG -- we use it and we trust it.  If you're going to do some custom thing, use dice or cards.  If you need to create millions of independent private keys, the HWRNG is probably the best choice.

Well...I bought this because I did use dice.  Dice worked, but I am sort of impatient.  Rolling 99 die seemed tedious, and for $50.00 I thought this would be cost effective.  I imagine that hardware wallets, good ones, will have this type of hardware RNG built in, in the future.  My only wish was that there was some way Armory could query this device directly as a source of entropy.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: