Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 05:39:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are only the American versions of sites accepting BTC?  (Read 1480 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 11:03:42 PM

It is probably a combination of things. Regulatory environment and the fact that many of these companies are US based means it is easier to roll it out there first.  
your right its a combination of things

from 2009-2014 the percentage of americans holding bitcoin is far superior to other countries (they got on the boat first basically). now other countries are getting on board. EG china getting onboard in 2013 and although some of us brits were already onboard from 2010-2011 onwards. the pace was really slow. mainly due to the fact that us lucky brits had a thing called 'faster payments' meaning we were never waiting around 3-5 business days for pounds to clear in bank accounts.

so we had less need for bitcoins.. but now that we are seeing our own banking system get screwed up, and with HMRC being able to just take income tax out of our accounts if we have over £5k in the account, and possible negative interest rates.. we are seeing more and more reason to get onboard the bitcoin boat..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
VTCbuddy

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 11:07:15 PM

So when I heard about gyft, I thought 'yay' and bought a little item for my laptop, only when I checked out I discovered that on their UK site I couldn't use BTC. Same with newegg.

Why is this the case?

My guess is cuz UK is junior partner, it will come along, politely, in a couple of years after USA -- as usual...
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 11:36:33 PM

Regulations... I have no idea. Canada has some vauge regulations, but nothing has really been confirmed, nor have I been able to find the original bill of some things that are claimed to exist.

The budget implementation bill prescribes regulations for "virtual currencies", but those have not been written yet, as far as I know.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: