Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:58:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GHASH.IO + DISCUS FISH >>>51% Possible to death bitcoin?  (Read 2195 times)
cenixentor (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:04:01 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2014, 12:22:19 AM by cenixentor

I think it would be very easy to kill bitcoin and lose all our money as the currency... Cry Cry

https://i.imgur.com/LwVr4Tg.png

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/16/bitcoin-currency-destroyed-51-attack-ghash-io
Jude Austin
Legendary

Activity: 1140
Merit: 1000

The Real Jude Austin

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 12:12:07 AM

Shh.

Buy or sell $100 of Crypto and get $10!
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:13:25 AM

The people over at Hacking Distributed have a good discussion of the problem and a potential solution.
cenixentor (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:14:15 AM

Brings me crazy to think that only a few people associate with bad intentions can destroy all confidence in bitcoin
Tron

Activity: 588
Merit: 107

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:16:11 AM

And, if you add the rest of the slices in the pie chart, you'll be at 100%

Certain death.   Wink
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 12:18:56 AM

I don't really care. Stop spreading FUD.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
cenixentor (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:20:21 AM

And, if you add the rest of the slices in the pie chart, you'll be at 100%

Certain death.   Wink

I worry that 60% of hash power is in the hands of only two ...
Could be hacked and you lose all your money...
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:24:39 AM

Can you explain the sequence of events between those two mining pools getting hacked and all bitcoin users losing their coins?
cenixentor (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:27:48 AM

Can you explain the sequence of events between those two mining pools getting hacked and all bitcoin users losing their coins?

Do not lose your bitcoin, but the trust would be 0 and the value 0

An attacker that controls more than 50% of the network's computing power can, for the time that he is in control, exclude and modify the ordering of transactions. This allows him to:

Reverse transactions that he sends while he's in control
Prevent some or all transactions from gaining any confirmations
Prevent some or all other generators from getting any generations
The attacker can't:

Reverse other people's transactions
Prevent transactions from being sent at all (they'll show as 0/unconfirmed)
Change the number of coins generated per block
Create coins out of thin air
Send coins that never belonged to him
It's much more difficult to change historical blocks, and it becomes exponentially more difficult the further back you go. As above, changing historical blocks only allows you to exclude and change the ordering of transactions. It's impossible to change blocks created before the last checkpoint.

Since this attack doesn't permit all that much power over the network, it is expected that no one will attempt it. A profit-seeking person will always gain more by just following the rules, and even someone trying to destroy the system will probably find other attacks more attractive. However, if this attack is successfully executed, it will be difficult or impossible to "untangle" the mess created — any changes the attacker makes might become permanent.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:47:50 AM

Doing a 51% attack is like shooting yourself in the face. You get absolutely nothing out of it. If you control enough hashing power to perform that, why destroy the very thing that's making you money?

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
cenixentor (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:51:52 AM

Doing a 51% attack is like shooting yourself in the face. You get absolutely nothing out of it. If you control enough hashing power to perform that, why destroy the very thing that's making you money?

Hacking?? and if some government hacks ghâsh and discus fish??

Would not be the first time.... The interests of governments may be contrary to our

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/dragonfly-western-energy-companies-under-sabotage-threat?SID=skim26001X849541X429d91cf4e8cb74fefff6e6fc18604b5&API1=100&API2=5635367

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/606b97b4-0057-11e4-8aaf-00144feab7de,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F606b97b4-0057-11e4-8aaf-00144feab7de.html%3Fsiteedition%3Duk&siteedition=uk&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elotrolado.net%2Fnoticia_un-ciberataque-al-sector-energetico-abre-via-a-sabotajes-del-suministro-electrico-en-espana_24493
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:52:59 AM

cenixentor (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:55:20 AM

It is a very real possibility and the community will be warned.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:03:24 AM

Jesus man, the ghash panic was all ready over the top. Why are we looking for things to scare ourselves with? Just stop all ready.

Tron

Activity: 588
Merit: 107

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:42:13 AM

It is a very real possibility and the community will be warned.

You are currently trusting all of your dollars (assuming US) to just a few people meeting behind closed doors, who are currently using extraordinary measures to prop up a struggling financial system.  Their interests are not always aligned with your interests.

The pools do not own the hashing power.  At the slightest hint of impropriety, the hashing power will be yanked.

We have two pools, who do not own anywhere near 51% of the actual hashing power, and who would have to collude to together to destroy their own businesses, just doesn't seem like much of a risk.   Their interests are aligned with ours.

My life can be ended instantly by any of thousands of vehicles every day if they choose to cross two painted parallel yellow lines.  Because it isn't in their interest to cross those two lines, I trust my life every day that they'll stay on their side of the road. 

A few facts:
1. If a pool, or even an individual has 100% of the hashing power, you do not lose your bitcoin unless they choose to 'cross the yellow lines' and act suicidally against their self interest.
2. You do not lose your bitcoins even if they do act against their self interest.  Your bitcoins will be safe - except possibly a few that you receive during the timeframe of a malicious attack which will be very short lived.  There are just too many people watching the blockchain.
3. If attack of this sort happens, which is possible, but very, very unlikely, the miners will pull their hashing power from the pool, and the attack ends.  And, very likely the pool ends as well.

I'm all for distributing the hashing power, but the problem is being overstated.

DannyElfman

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:37:36 AM

In theory if the two pools were hacked and the hackers executed an attack on the blockchain then the confidence in bitcoin could be eroded to the amount that bitcoin price would crash.

In reality this will not happen as when evidence of an actual attack against the network by specific pool(s) miners would pretty much instantly pull their hashpower from those pools to prevent the attacks from continuing. IMO the very large miners with significant amounts of money invested in miners would likely be monitoring a number of sources (forums, MSM, the blockchain) for potential evidence of an attack on the network by the pool they are mining on and would react accordingly 

This spot for rent.
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:41:11 AM

This just seems kind of silly. Since the 51% "threat" ended with the biggest pool we have to add pools together now and fret over it? I think some people just want something to complain about.

reg

Activity: 463

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:44:42 AM

In theory if the two pools were hacked and the hackers executed an attack on the blockchain then the confidence in bitcoin could be eroded to the amount that bitcoin price would crash.

In reality this will not happen as when evidence of an actual attack against the network by specific pool(s) miners would pretty much instantly pull their hashpower from those pools to prevent the attacks from continuing. IMO the very large miners with significant amounts of money invested in miners would likely be monitoring a number of sources (forums, MSM, the blockchain) for potential evidence of an attack on the network by the pool they are mining on and would react accordingly 
a 51% attack and hacking were never really my concern as these have been shown to be mainly self defeating and therefore less likely. However monopoly of blocks is a concern as this would drive the smaller pools and miners out of btc. as I have said in a previous post there are still 9 miliion btc to be mined -do you feel safe and in a decentralized system if they all belong to ghash.io
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 04:47:29 AM

Gotta love all these constant new accounts with 11 posts, posting apocalyptic mumbo-jumbo FUD.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
DannyElfman

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:32:20 AM

a 51% attack and hacking were never really my concern as these have been shown to be mainly self defeating and therefore less likely. However monopoly of blocks is a concern as this would drive the smaller pools and miners out of btc. as I have said in a previous post there are still 9 miliion btc to be mined -do you feel safe and in a decentralized system if they all belong to ghash.io
Well hackers could in theory hack two (or more pools), essentially control 51% of the network, spend massive amounts of coins on some good/service and then reverse the payment after the goods/services are received. The problem with this is that if the amounts were great enough then the price of bitcoin would likely fall more then 50%, making the attack unprofitable.

This spot for rent.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: