Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:59:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If you had access to unlimited free power (AC)... Best Answer Wins .01 BTC!  (Read 743 times)
Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:21:48 AM

If you had access to unlimited free power (AC), what kind of mining setup would you build. (Provided you were planning on dropping serious cash on a setup).

280X Farm?
750ti Farm? (Less hash but better on power)
ASICs?

Again, if power was NOT a cost consideration, looking to the future... Thoughts?

Strato

Best Answer Wins .01 BTC Smiley Grin. Closes Tomorrow 8PM EST.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mazuma

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:06:31 AM

if power wasnt a concern, you would build a farm with cards that have warranty on it, Atleast 1 year + this way if  something does go wrong you can warranty them and not worry about replacing them . I dont even need the .01 but since you have free power so you shouldnt really be worried about what kind of cards to get. Get whatever cards/rigs you can get your hands on. I am sending you a PM just to see test waters. Good luck man. Free power is good at this time when its harsh out here.
sgi02

Activity: 542
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:10:22 PM

It all depends on what you want to mine. Every algo has it's strengths and weaknesses and there is always the debate of GPU vs ASIC, ill do my best to summarize my personal opinion on the matter.

* Video cards - The Radeon is king, no if and's or but's about it. The 280 / 290 are the best performance out there for GPU and they have the widest support for mining different algorithms, loaded with a custom BIOS by the stilt they can't be beat. The Nvidia 750 Ti is a great card when considering overall power / performance ratio, and they are terrific at X11, but compared to the higher end Radeon cards they just cant compete.

One thing to consider before purchasing any GPU setup is that the 2xx series Radeon's will be replaced by a newer model later this year / early next year that are sure to offer better performance. The same holds true for Nvidia, their Maxwell chip will begin to be integrated into higher end parts later this year. These new cards could very well give the Radeon line a run for its money.

*ASIC - If you put your money into ASIC's you will get a SIGNIFICANTLY higher amount of hash power for your money, with the primary downfall of only being able to mine Scrypt or SHA256. FPGA options are available for other algorithms, but its cumbersome and help / documentation for these setups are scarce.

Bottom Line = Make a small GPU farm and set aside some space for a couple ASIC units to mine scrypt, or just go all in on GPU (It will EAT power). Many people will tell you GPU mining is dead; I disagree. If you want to ROI or make a profit you will need to follow the markets and watch new coin launches like a hawk. If you just want to set it and forget it you will never make a profit. Hope this helped, good luck!
Matteo86x

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:51:25 PM

Hi

without power consumption issues, I would suggest you to create different kind of platforms, based on the AMD R9 290 GPU. You are in the condition that you can obtain the best hashes from your cards, so considering the centralization of power, I suggest you to go on with powerful, and generic, models, like the r9 290. You should consider buying models that mounts hynix memory (probably custom ones linke the sapphire tri-x). What to mine? Complex question; you should keep some platforms on promising coins, with algorithms and mining software very optimized for the GCN architecture. Another thing to consider is that if you want to sell coins, you need to mine something that has a very nice market share, and btc amount traded every day. In short,  that's what I'm planning for my systems:

- A couple of platforms on different jackpotcoin pools, so you can have a better chance to get the jackpot (very rewarding in USD)
- A platform, better a couple, with xmr/monetaverde/quazarcoin/bytecoin (monero, one of the best for the amd cards now, and very promising one)
- A platform on cryptcoin, on the multipool coinmine (wonderful)
- A platform on harmonycoin multipool, which could be very interesting in the short-medium term
- A 5970 x6 platform on groestl (fantastic hashrate, cheap cards)

asic? Forget about them, the big ones are coming and the ones that we can purchase now aren't interesting at all, due the purchasing price. The scrypt reward, if you keep the btc value fixed, will keep to go down due the nethashrate increase over time.
dquancey

Activity: 587
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:54:21 PM

As above really, you'd want to drop your money on varying devices.

Then you have more than one point of failure.

I'd go GPU & ASIC, both Scrypt and SHA-256. Mix it up a little.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: