Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 04:45:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Bitcoin's chicken and egg problem  (Read 15247 times)
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 1202

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 01:49:48 AM

Will some Wonder-Nerd please figure out how to gamble bitcoins in the beginning of each counter strike match!?

Better yet, lets get this goin on TF2!
Someone should open a website like http://betsofbitco.in but completely dedicated to gaming.
It should be more like a community.
Here there will be bettors, players and developers ( these ones will develop plug-ins to add betting system directly in-game as you suggested )

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ahbritto (OP)

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

Ripple

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 01:50:19 AM

I don't quite catch it - why does a forum need a currency at all ...?

The forum provides a convenient way to trade goods.

An alternative is to use PayPal which has high fees for small purchases.  Or the members would somehow need to find a common payment mechanism for each purchase.  Many payment mechanisms are not open to minors.  Even Bitcoin has minimum fees for small transactions and confirmation delays when using the standard client.  Now, members have a convenient currency for all transactions and, if still want to, they can choose to use another payment mechanism.

... how does a forum user with more mBTC become more reliable?

If someone is asking about purchasing something and they have no balance, then their questions are less likely to be sincere. They certainly can't make an immediate purchase.

If they have balance, they are more likely to be participating in commerce with other forum members.

If someone is selling something and the amount they are charging is not a significant portion of their balance, they may be less likely to rip customers off.  At least customers can tell that the seller is not relatively poor.
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 08:31:28 AM

The forum has way to many subforums. Reaching critical mass is nr1. This spreads their users out very thin.
For that its better to start with as few as possible.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 09:09:57 AM

Now when I look at it, there is a little over 1500 registered users. So it seems that they gained users via the 1BTC reward, but the growth has diminished after that.

A better strategy would be: offer 0.5 BTC for first 1000 registrations, 0.25 BTC for next 1000, 0.125 for next etc. And maybe offer a double if the user is migrating from a competiting site.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 04:55:52 PM

Now when I look at it, there is a little over 1500 registered users. So it seems that they gained users via the 1BTC reward, but the growth has diminished after that.

A better strategy would be: offer 0.5 BTC for first 1000 registrations, 0.25 BTC for next 1000, 0.125 for next etc. And maybe offer a double if the user is migrating from a competiting site.

^^ Mining for users?  Grin
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 12:49:24 AM

Anyway I really like the way they have integrated Bitcoin with their board.
I hope to see more mods for every board ( eBullettin / SMF /Invision Power Board / phpbb / ... ) that can be easily added with few clicks.

Is the new Mt.Gox e-Commerce feature a big step forward on this direction?

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 12:32:47 PM

look again.
FYI, ogrr has been around since end of october.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 01:13:33 PM

The forum has way to many subforums. Reaching critical mass is nr1. This spreads their users out very thin.
For that its better to start with as few as possible.

I had the same remark after visiting the forum the first time. I don't really understand why they make subforums for geographic regions ?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 01:16:39 PM

It has been explained in page 2.

Superior

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:22:34 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2014, 07:33:26 PM by Superior

Hey guys, thanks for all the support.

It surely makes sense to inactivate some of the sub-forums until we reach a higher need for them, it's something we will discuss.

All feedback and criticism is highly appreciated!
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 07:54:39 PM

to show that the growth is not slowing down, I made this little graph.
It reflects the number of registered users reported in this thread: https://ogrr.com/viewtopic.php?f=385&t=540

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

Are you going to add automatic funds?

Superior

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 09:38:59 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2012, 11:25:52 PM by Superior

Are you going to add automatic funds?

It's on the way but I cannot give you an ETA on that today.

I saw that you were in our IRC-channel earlier today, I missed you by an hour, you can contact me (Superior) or jesse on the boards with any questions you might have.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

@Superior - is there anything the Bitcoin community can do to help you? There is obvious interest in seeing ogrr.com succeed.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 11:35:34 PM

I saw that you were in our IRC-channel earlier today, I missed you by an hour, you can contact me (Superior) or jesse on the boards with any questions you might have.
You have already replied Smiley
Anyway, as Acoindr said I really hope that you will find the right help to have the automatic-funds done.
I'm not personally interested in this kind of market, but I think that it's another big step forward to have Bitcoin commonly used.

triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 12:02:45 AM

if any of you guys are on reddit, you can go vote up a blog post about it that talks about bitcoin as well:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/qm6hu/ogrrcom_bitcoinbased_cashout_community/
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 12:17:39 AM

I guess I just don't get this whole concept. By showing that you have two internet-nickels to rub together, it somehow makes you a more serious buyer/contributor?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 01:16:33 AM

I guess I just don't get this whole concept. By showing that you have two internet-nickels to rub together, it somehow makes you a more serious buyer/contributor?

Just as in real life, wealth is an indicator of status and success. Not a guarantee, mind you, just an indicator.

It's pretty simple - by showing that you have money to spend, you'll be taken more seriously by people you trade with. I think it's a very clever feature of Ogrr
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 01:27:38 AM

Just as in real life, wealth is an indicator of status and success. Not a guarantee, mind you, just an indicator.

It's pretty simple - by showing that you have money to spend, you'll be taken more seriously by people you trade with. I think it's a very clever feature of Ogrr

But the money is trifling amounts, like, fractions of cents...which is why it's ok. If it was anything more, it'd be a bank and a destroyer-of-anonymity to some extent.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 01:33:53 AM

But the money is trifling amounts, like, fractions of cents...which is why it's ok. If it was anything more, it'd be a bank and a destroyer-of-anonymity to some extent.

You're obviously not a gamer. Gamers like scores  Cool

The higher the better. And there is always the option to go after significant money, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Once new users get exposed to Bitcoin they may explore more and actually become bitcoiners.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: