Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:54:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Bitcoin's chicken and egg problem  (Read 15247 times)
bc

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:05:20 AM

I guess I just don't get this whole concept. By showing that you have two internet-nickels to rub together, it somehow makes you a more serious buyer/contributor?

Just as in real life, wealth is an indicator of status and success. Not a guarantee, mind you, just an indicator.

It's pretty simple - by showing that you have money to spend, you'll be taken more seriously by people you trade with. I think it's a very clever feature of Ogrr

But the money is trifling amounts, like, fractions of cents...which is why it's ok. If it was anything more, it'd be a bank and a destroyer-of-anonymity to some extent.

I'm not sure I get it either, but as long as the members get it - I guess that's what matters. Maybe it's sort of like a micro-escrow: if you defraud another member, it takes some time to cash-out your nickels. Dunno.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:18:12 AM

I guess I just don't get this whole concept. By showing that you have two internet-nickels to rub together, it somehow makes you a more serious buyer/contributor?

Just as in real life, wealth is an indicator of status and success. Not a guarantee, mind you, just an indicator.

It's pretty simple - by showing that you have money to spend, you'll be taken more seriously by people you trade with. I think it's a very clever feature of Ogrr

But the money is trifling amounts, like, fractions of cents...which is why it's ok. If it was anything more, it'd be a bank and a destroyer-of-anonymity to some extent.

You're obviously not a gamer. Gamers like scores  Cool

The higher the better. And there is always the option to go after significant money, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Once new users get exposed to Bitcoin they may explore more and actually become bitcoiners.

But the score is just money that you load into it? Or am I mistaken?
legolouman

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:20:45 AM

I'd like to point out this wonderful Bitcoin success story: Ogrr.com

The site is ugly!  What it is does is wonderful.

Ogrr is a forum.  It focuses mostly on gamers.  Ogrr's twist over a regular forum is that people can have mBTC balances and trade goods with each other. (FYI: 1,000 mBTC = 1 BTC)

Additionally, next to everyone's avatar is their mBTC balance.  The implication being people with a zero balance have low status. So, everyone has a reason to find some way to have some Bitcoins.

Ogrr has been growing like wild fire.  Ogrr has 1,500 members.  Membership is more than doubling every month.  In the last week it has grown by 500 members.  The previous 500 members took 3 weeks to join.  You can view the membership count at the bottom of the home page.

Ogrr's members seem to be coming from d2jsp.  d2jsp has over 670,000 members.  d2jsp's members have been abused: Advantages of Ogrr and mBTC over d2jsp and FG

Many of the members are likely kids.  Bitcoin let's anyone regardless of age conduct financial transactions over the Internet.  The site has a page that makes it easy for them to find ways to earn Bitcoins: List of websites to earn bitcoins.

Ogrr brings together sellers and buyers of virtual and real goods.  Further, since you can see people's mBTC balance, you can know they have money to spend.  You can tip people with mBTC.  Further, people who engage in transactions can be rated.

If Ogrr continues to grow at this rate in several months, we could have over 500,000 new Bitcoiners.  Imagine if they each wanted 20 Bitcoins. Smiley

I've talked to the owner and he assures me that they will have no problem dealing with spectacular growth.

BTW, the first 1,000 people to register and reach 10 (legitimate) posts get 1 BTC: All aboard!

-Arthur

YES! This is what we've been waiting for! It's only been 3 years in the making!

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
Global BTC

Activity: 529

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 09:50:06 AM

Yes it is. But keep this in mind: That forum is more of a marketplace than a regular forum. The mBTCs each forum member has in his forum wallet is shown whenever he makes a post, so other forum members can see if he has the money he claims to be willing to spend.

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2012, 02:25:11 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2012, 02:35:53 PM by acoindr

You're obviously not a gamer. Gamers like scores  Cool

The higher the better. And there is always the option to go after significant money, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Once new users get exposed to Bitcoin they may explore more and actually become bitcoiners.

The "score", as I call it, is money (bitcoins) you load or bitcoins you get for selling things you acquire in game. The point is the larger the number under your name the more respect you get. It's like showing how committed / involved you are with that forum and gaming/trading in general. Yes, someone could just drop $100 in, but so could others. And people do buy status (characters, weapons etc.) all the time in games - and in real life, for example with cars or even the iPhone  "I am rich" app.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2012, 09:40:06 PM

And people do buy status (characters, weapons etc.) all the time in games - and in real life, for example with cars or even the iPhone  "I am rich" app.

So where does one acquire the "I haz Bitcoin" app?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 04:55:47 AM

Hot topic du jour: a d2jsp user reported  that his d2jsp account was suspended for typing "ogrr" in a private message:
https://ogrr.com/viewtopic.php?f=385&t=1099

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
pastory99

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 05:12:25 AM

Pretty interesting concept..
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 05:33:45 AM

member growth rate already slowing down. so much for the chicken&egg problem....
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 06:48:00 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2012, 07:07:56 AM by HostFat

Any news about "automatic funds" ?
how long  is required an administrator to deposit/withdraw bitcoins?

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Global BTC

Activity: 529

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 07:18:56 AM

member growth rate already slowing down. so much for the chicken&egg problem....
It's a pretty specific forum, their "market" can't be that big.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 09:01:39 AM

Yes, although I see potential in ogrr, this thread title is laughable.

CHICKEN AND EGG PROBLEM SOLVED! JUST GOT TO SOLVE ANOTHER CHICKEN AND EGG PROBLEM (OGRR COMMUNITY) FIRST!
Philj

Activity: 388

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 10:52:10 AM

The forum numbers will grow dramatically when Diablo 3 is actually released. There is not much market for D2 stuff now, and most of the other games they have listed don't have as large market potential. Look for the numbers to double by June, then skyrocket from there. My guess is 200,000 by the end of the year.
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 07:11:29 PM

The forum numbers will grow dramatically when Diablo 3 is actually released. There is not much market for D2 stuff now, and most of the other games they have listed don't have as large market potential. Look for the numbers to double by June, then skyrocket from there. My guess is 200,000 by the end of the year.

Not if they don't reduce the number of forums it won't.

Also, has anyone even got any mBTC listed in their profiles? I can't see any.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 10:11:16 PM

Yes the balance shows up under their avatars
Superior

Activity: 21

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:49:39 AM

Not if they don't reduce the number of forums it won't.

We removed a bunch of forums and made the main-page a lot smaller for now, we are still working on some stuff improve the main-page.

You can see a members mBTC in their profile or right under the avatar in any thread.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:13:37 AM

We removed a bunch of forums and made the main-page a lot smaller for now, we are still working on some stuff improve the main-page.

You can see a members mBTC in their profile or right under the avatar in any thread.
I noticed that! Good job for listening to the advice and truncating it even further now, I think bitplane was right on that. The Bitcoin forums evolved the same way, and now it has lots of subforums. With this kind of ambition, I’m pretty sure ogrr will do well. Smiley

BTW, I saw you had a nice contest for banners and used it for a favicon, do you plan to place that on the front as well?
Superior

Activity: 21

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 10:05:44 PM

I noticed that! Good job for listening to the advice and truncating it even further now, I think bitplane was right on that. The Bitcoin forums evolved the same way, and now it has lots of subforums. With this kind of ambition, I’m pretty sure ogrr will do well. Smiley

BTW, I saw you had a nice contest for banners and used it for a favicon, do you plan to place that on the front as well?

This thread has been useful for us and I agree bitplane posts was really on spot and we are grateful for any input we get.
Yeah. I can't say we are 100% certain on what logo we will end up finally using yet, there will be a logo placed on the front and we are also working on a front-page.

triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 11:09:43 PM

you guys need to find a way to more actively recruit.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2012, 10:12:51 AM

maxbtc.com is now integrated with ogrr, so you don't need anymore an admin to fund your account Smiley
EDIT:
I was wrong, maxbtc.com is just a pool Sad

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: