Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:07:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining With Usb Extension Cable  (Read 1366 times)
TaeZStkyoht (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 07:47:06 AM

Hi,

My miner doesn't work with a USB extension cable. My miner is ASIC AntMiner. I'm using bfgminer. How can I fix it?
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:38:03 AM

Do you mean Antminer U1 or U2?
Perhaps your USB extension cable has too much DC resistance for the power needs of the USB miner.  If it runs ok when you connect it directly to the port, but stops working with the extension cable, that is most probably the reason.  Try to find another extension cable (a shorter one is likely to have lower losses) or get a powered USB 2.0 hub and use that with your U1/2 Antminer.

Cheers
TaeZStkyoht (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 08:52:39 AM

Do you mean Antminer U1 or U2?
Perhaps your USB extension cable has too much DC resistance for the power needs of the USB miner.  If it runs ok when you connect it directly to the port, but stops working with the extension cable, that is most probably the reason.  Try to find another extension cable (a shorter one is likely to have lower losses) or get a powered USB 2.0 hub and use that with your U1/2 Antminer.

Cheers

Mine is U2. My cable's length is 1.5 m.
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 03:32:57 AM

My U2's are on a powered hub, and they are working fine.  Does your U2 work when you plug it directly into the USB port, and stops working with the extension cable?  If that is the case, try another cable, probably one that is shorter and thicker (some USB extension cables are meant for data, and have too thin conductors with too much resistance to cope with the demands of a relatively high powered device).

Good luck
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:03:59 AM

You might have to try a usb powered hub at end of extension if you want it.  Possibly the additional length, cord quality are causing power loss.
spamsucks

Activity: 306
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 07:11:57 PM

I know I am a bit late to this party, but I wanted to toss my 2 cents in...

I have 5 antminer U2's all plugged in to a usb hub, and all my usb extension wires spliced in
to a computer power supply. They will not work without a flash drive being plugged in as well. I cant quite
work out why, but if you plug it in to a hub, try adding another usb device...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: