Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:03:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LITECOIN -- GPU Mining  (Read 22104 times)
tatsuchan (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 12:17:07 PM

I didn't see a thread on here yet devoted to this and it is a topic I think we need to get into more.

So we all know that Litecoin GPU mining is possible now.  I've been getting up to 270kh of speed with a 5850.  There seems to be a ton of bugs, and the software is unusable to many people/video cards.  The release of reaper seemed a lot like CoinHunter blowing the whistle on Litecoin, so I'm very pessimistic that this will be updated or shared with the general public.

I think it would be a good idea to set up a bounty (if one doesn't already exist) for someone to build a good useable Litecoin GPU miner.  Regardless if Bitcoin is more profitable right now, we shouldn't ignore this.  If the option exists, and there is interest in it, than we should start talking about it and start making plans about Litecoin's future for the LTC miner now. I'd rather we stick to speculating for Coblee's thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64239.0

Let's try to discuss technical details/setup about GPU mining and express interest/disinterest in mining with a GPU.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 12:22:57 PM

LTC main grace was that it was CPU based mining you could do while GPU mining.  Maybe the main reason of this thread is one of the things that has been devaluing LTC recently as it can't compete against BTC as a GPU miner as it offers nothing new and that the price drop is due to the hoarders getting rid of their stocks now it's turning into a GPU coin  Huh

El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 12:32:21 PM

I have 25,000 LTC and if it turns into a gpu coin i'll sell Sad

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
bitcoinsarefun

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 12:44:54 PM

There's a couple of threads on the front page discussing the topic of GPU and litecoin and each has had pretty active discussion. It's a pretty big deal since litecoin is supposed to be CPU-only.

GPU mining seems very neat now, 'cause you are generating a whole bunch of litecoins quickly and easily, but it doesn't balance out.

I just don't see how making it easier to generate litecoins is going to help anyone, all I see it doing is making the currency worth a lot less than it is now.

So, that being said, WHY DO U THINK WE NEED A GPU MINER?

As an experiment - How about you put those new litecoins you made from using a GPU miner up as a bounty for it.

Then wait till hell freezes over for someone to do it.

The money is just not there for someone to put the effort in. The person who wrote reaper did just enough to put some doubt into the ltiecoin community, and you will probably see no more developments beyond that, as reaper had its intended effect.

oh, and look at the post above me for an example of what will happen if GPU mining comes in vogue

tatsuchan (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 01:57:56 PM

There's a couple of threads on the front page discussing the topic of GPU and litecoin and each has had pretty active discussion. It's a pretty big deal since litecoin is supposed to be CPU-only.

GPU mining seems very neat now, 'cause you are generating a whole bunch of litecoins quickly and easily, but it doesn't balance out.

I just don't see how making it easier to generate litecoins is going to help anyone, all I see it doing is making the currency worth a lot less than it is now.

So, that being said, WHY DO U THINK WE NEED A GPU MINER?

As an experiment - How about you put those new litecoins you made from using a GPU miner up as a bounty for it.

Then wait till hell freezes over for someone to do it.

The money is just not there for someone to put the effort in. The person who wrote reaper did just enough to put some doubt into the ltiecoin community, and you will probably see no more developments beyond that, as reaper had its intended effect.

oh, and look at the post above me for an example of what will happen if GPU mining comes in vogue

Litecoin is now a coin that can be mined by gpu. That is reason enough. If the longevity of Litecoin is now effected, I'd like to know. On the other hand, if the first people to gpu mine get an advantage great! I doubt it, and there isn't enough money in it to be more than a topic of curiosity.  This is a money market no matter how you look at it for most of us.
bitcoinsarefun

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 02:13:01 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2012, 02:26:48 PM by bitcoinsarefun

Litecoin is now a coin that can be mined by gpu. That is reason enough. If the longevity of Litecoin is now effected, I'd like to know. On the other hand, if the first people to gpu mine get an advantage great! I doubt it, and there isn't enough money in it to be more than a topic of curiosity.  This is a money market no matter how you look at it for most of us.

Yes, everything you state is true, this is a money market that is hopefully full of saavy people that will realize what gpu mining could potentially do to this currency.

What I am trying to get across is:

You would be silly to mine litecoins with your gpu when you can make more with bitcoins right now. Also, Flooding the market with GPU mined litecoins isn't going to drive the price of litecoins up as far as I know.

And yes, you can probably pay someone to make a GPU miner - but they are not going to take litecoins. Hell, as demonstrated by the reaper miner, there could already be GPU miners in use that aren't being distributed.

We have the big issue of the currency being developed to be complementary to bitcoin and not a competitor for GPU usage ... Now that it is a competitor, how is that going to affect things?

I'm not against the bounty for a fully functional gpu miner, I just don't see any good to come out of it.

I don't see any value to being an early adopter of GPU mining with a currency with the current value of litecoin.

edit: I could be just being all doom and gloom here though. I would love for someone to brighten up my outlook on litecoin gpu mining Sad Also, need to do some more reading on the efficiency factor.
forsetifox

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:42:41 PM

Using your GPU to mine LTC is only occasionally profitable. Bitcoin will most always be more profitable.

And remember, reaper was released by a fan of the opposing chain, solidcoin. Also they did not release the "good" one which supposedly gets 30% more hashes.

I'm still stumped why the LTC community did not make one first. Someone in the LTC community needs to take the reigns and get people motivated.
tatsuchan (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:52:30 PM

Litecoin is now a coin that can be mined by gpu. That is reason enough. If the longevity of Litecoin is now effected, I'd like to know. On the other hand, if the first people to gpu mine get an advantage great! I doubt it, and there isn't enough money in it to be more than a topic of curiosity.  This is a money market no matter how you look at it for most of us.

Yes, everything you state is true, this is a money market that is hopefully full of saavy people that will realize what gpu mining could potentially do to this currency.

You would be silly to mine litecoins with your gpu when you can make more with bitcoins right now. Also, Flooding the market with GPU mined litecoins isn't going to drive the price of litecoins up as far as I know.

And yes, you can probably pay someone to make a GPU miner - but they are not going to take litecoins. Hell, as demonstrated by the reaper miner, there could already be GPU miners in use that aren't being distributed.

We have the big issue of the currency being developed to be complementary to bitcoin and not a competitor for GPU usage ... Now that it is a competitor, how is that going to affect things?

I'm not against the bounty for a fully functional gpu miner, I just don't see any good to come out of it.

I don't see any value to being an early adopter of GPU mining with a currency with the current value of litecoin.

edit: I could be just being all doom and gloom here though. I would love for someone to brighten up my outlook on litecoin gpu mining Sad Also, need to do some more reading on the efficiency factor.

I see the point many people are bringing up about it damaging the system, but Litecoin is NOW a GPU coin that is more profitable on CPU for the time being.  GPU mining has been done, and now Litecoin needs to adapt and change it's plan.  Even if it isn't profitable now, the ability is still there for when or if it does become a more viable currency.  I was hoping we could all use this thread to start talking about getting better miners more than "should we" because if it can be done, it will, and someone will use that to hurt the community to either 51% it or purposely fuck the economy.

I like Litecoin and want to see it thrive, but I REALLY don't want to turn a blind eye to this because I don't want it to happen.
shakti

Activity: 60

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 04:10:44 PM

I see the point many people are bringing up about it damaging the system, but Litecoin is NOW a GPU coin that is more profitable on CPU for the time being.  GPU mining has been done, and now Litecoin needs to adapt and change it's plan.  Even if it isn't profitable now, the ability is still there for when or if it does become a more viable currency.  I was hoping we could all use this thread to start talking about getting better miners more than "should we" because if it can be done, it will, and someone will use that to hurt the community to either 51% it or purposely fuck the economy.

I like Litecoin and want to see it thrive, but I REALLY don't want to turn a blind eye to this because I don't want it to happen.

Scrypt-Litecoin miner can't be that fast as Bitcoin, so 7970 has unreacheble theoritacal maximum of 1200 kh/s
To attack network you need 51% this means with this rate someone has to have Farm of 50+ 7970.
Is it possible to attack well costy Smiley
5870 has unreachable maximum at 500 kh/s Smiley and so on.
At this time it's not worth to attack chain, I think releasing good Scrypt GPU-miner will even strngth network and make it more Valuable.

You shouldn't care about 51% from GPU miners, the chain can be EASY! attacked by botnet.
if a middle botnet node can give 10kh/s you need just 5000+ nodes! it's just TINY! botnet.
So i think Scrypt-GPU-miner is even good for LTC not bad, more hashrate so even better protection of a chain.

P.S. LTC miners and Bitcoin miners on GPU not that competative, LTC-scrypt miner performs on Nvidia about the same as on AMD.
the second thing, only really "special" cards give very big performance, like 7970, 7950, 6990, GT590 and so on.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 04:11:59 PM

@OP: You didn't look very hard at these boards.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64239.0

LTC has always been minable by GPU. It is just not profitable to do so.

Try to be smarter than a Soiledcoin-sockpuppet please.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 04:17:50 PM

I like Litecoin and want it to prosper too.  I think it's future if it become more profitable may be in very low power ARM CPU farms if it can be kept more efficient on CPU than GPU.  Like the £25 RaspberryPi at 5W if it can get >5kH/s? for 5W with good well tuned mining software.  Or it's future as being mined as a screensaver or just in the background while a PC is being used but there is nothing to spend them on.  If a game that mines LTC in the background is invented that could be its killer app to make it mainstream?

oscer

Activity: 73

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 05:18:24 PM

To me this seems like a way to get people to move there gpus away from bitcoins so others can jump in ... but i am also doubtful that GPU mining will be at all effective at the current litecoin exchange rate ... unless people don't care if it takes forever to pay for their power

Xrnetworks.com Web Hosting
tatsuchan (OP)

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 05:55:36 PM

I made this thread to talk about HOW to GPU mine Litecoins more than why should we.  I know it was usable as a gpu miner previously, but 9kh vs. 700 is quite a difference!

If you spent time reading this thread, you will have seen I wrote down the exact URL you posted in the first post.  Are we trolling  Roll Eyes?

Also, don't bring up SC.  This is a thread about Litecoin GPU mining.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 06:49:38 PM

I made this thread to talk about HOW to GPU mine Litecoins more than why should we.  I know it was usable as a gpu miner previously, but 9kh vs. 700 is quite a difference!

If you spent time reading this thread, you will have seen I wrote down the exact URL you posted in the first post.  Are we trolling  Roll Eyes?

You clearly did not read that thread. The last 4 pages are nothing but posts how to GPU mine LTC.
Please read existing threads before you clutter the boards with new ones duplicating existing content.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 09:55:41 PM

LiteCoin was different in that it was said to only be efficiently mined on a CPU, so anyone with a CPU could mine them without competing with Radeon Farms. Now it's only saving grace it that the blocks are solved 4 times as frequently as Bitcoins, thus making confirmations for transactions faster.

If anything, Litecoin will become an exchange medium , as there are 4 times as many of them and they confirm faster, and bitcion will become the yardstick for all other crypto-currencies. They will be far too valuable and slow to spend in the future, providing it perseveres. 
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 11:09:45 PM

Is there really an advantage to mining Litecoin with GPU+CPU over mining Bitcoin+Litecoin with GPU+CPU?

Mousepotato
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 12:08:40 AM

Is there really an advantage to mining Litecoin with GPU+CPU over mining Bitcoin+Litecoin with GPU+CPU?
not at current LTC prices

Litecoin  is pointless as a gpu coin

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 01:00:11 AM

I didn't see a thread on here yet devoted to this and it is a topic I think we need to get into more.
How blind are you?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
tatsuchan (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 09:21:26 AM

How blind are you?

It wasn't a thread meant to talk about why we should or shouldn't GPU mine.  I wanted to start a thread more about the hardware/technical aspects of actually doing it.  Figuring out software and what we would need to do it.  Seems like there isn't an interest and a somewhat negative vibe towards all of this. If everyone is that pissy towards discussing this than just let this thread die, or I can lock it or whatever. 
pooler

Activity: 838
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 09:26:54 AM

How blind are you?

I think the OP is right when he says that another thread was needed.
Coblee's thread was intended for discussion on Litecoin development. Yet it is getting "spammed" with too many "I can't get the GPU miner to work, what should I do?" posts, that don't belong in there.

BTC: 15MRTcUweNVJbhTyH5rq9aeSdyigFrskqE · LTC: LTCPooLqTK1SANSNeTR63GbGwabTKEkuS7
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: