Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:37:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Term contract with multisig/P2SH  (Read 1415 times)
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 02:14:46 PM

Is it possible to make a term contract with multisig/P2SH ?

Example:
I'll move 10 Bitcoins from my address to another, and I set 20 confirmations.
If no one will give the remain sign to move them to the bitcoin address or to move back to me on next 20 confirmations ... these 10 Bitcoin will lose their owner and they will be able to be mined again from miners.

Me and the other receiver-address-owner must be able to see the remaining confirmations, he must be able to see that there is a deadline and when it will expiry.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 02:41:59 PM

Example:
If no one will give the remain sign to move them to the bitcoin address or to move back to me on next 20 confirmations ... these 10 Bitcoin will lose their owner and they will be able to be mined again from miners.

Me and the other receiver-address-owner must be able to see the remaining confirmations, he must be able to see that there is a deadline and when it will expiry.

Don't think this is possible.  It would need some sort of OP_PUSHTIME or OP_PUSHBLOCKNUMBER operator, plus p2sh support.

Don't think the "and then mined again" part is ever going to be possible.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 02:47:21 PM

It's difficult to respond to questions like this without a real world example of the usefulness of the idea. If there are good ideas out there that cannot be done with Bitcoin yet, they could be addressed in the future.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:07:24 PM

The scripts do not have any notion of a block number.  This is intentional.

You can probably figure out a better way to do whatever it is that you are trying to do.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
HostFat (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 03:10:43 PM

Anyway, I have many "strange" ideas, and I think that somehow timed transfers ( public viewable or viewable only from some ) can open many new interesting ways to open new kinds of contracts.

The blockchain is a timer, a decentralised timer.
I think that we should find some other ways to use it.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 03:19:08 PM

Have you read https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Contracts ?

There are several examples using nLockTime, which is not as powerful as what you describe, but it is implemented and can be used to provide some time dependency.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:49:49 PM

Example:

You could send the coins with the output requiring 2-of-2 signatures to spend, yours and the receivers.  Then you and the receiver both sign a transaction with a 0 output (or no output? is that legal? not sure how else this would work and affect potential pruning in the future) and all the money going to fees with an nLockTime of either a block number or a time in the future.  This spends that entire output to fees.

After that, it's up to you and the receiver to negotiate a transaction favorable to you both before the deadline.  However, the receiver doesn't really have any motivation to cooperate with you as you'd be the only one losing money and she'd just not be gaining any.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: