Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:37:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are BFL singles worth it with no electricity costs?  (Read 2556 times)
Blackasaurus (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:20:02 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2012, 08:01:34 PM by Blackasaurus

Just as the title implies, are the singles worth it if you dont have to worry about electricity costs? I know they are very efficient compared to GPUs in terms of mh/w but I have a set cost for electricity where I live sooooo...?
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:44:31 PM

I ordered one even though I pay a fixed monthly price for electricity. I don't have the room to keep machines all over the place (my fiance would kill me) and the heat from cards causes problems in the summer. So I'm just running two 6970's in my main PC and then will run one of these.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 04:45:36 PM

FPGA's really only make sense because of their cost savings over time due to power savings.

If you have fixed rate or "free" power, GPU's are going to be your best bet because Mhash/w doesn't come into the equation for you. The only factor you'd be looking at would be Mhash/$.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 05:13:07 PM

Simply put: no.

If you have free electricity (and thus free AC to cool them) then GPU offer higher MH/$ which is all that matters.

A couple of exceptions:
a) you have free electricity but it is limited.  FPGA would allow more MH/s before hitting you free "cap".
b) you have free electricity but that may change in near future (say <1 year) like a student about to graduate.
c) you have free electricity but a low WAP*.  Nearly silent FPGA can operate a much lower WAP than a buzzing, heat puking GPU farm can.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor

The SI unit would be the SOAS (Significant other acceptance factor) but lets face it Americans are never going to accept metric.
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:29:07 PM

If you have free electricity (and thus free AC to cool them) then GPU offer higher MH/$ which is all that matters.

A couple of exceptions:
a) you have free electricity but it is limited.  FPGA would allow more MH/s before hitting you free "cap".
b) you have free electricity but that may change in near future (say <1 year) like a student about to graduate.
c) you have free electricity but a low WAP*.  Nearly silent FPGA can operate a much lower WAP than a buzzing, heat puking GPU farm can.

The SI unit would be the SOAS (Significant other acceptance factor) but lets face it Americans are never going to accept metric.

I would add:

d) you have free electricity but low current service

I'm in a high rise condo and don't have 200 amp service like many houses.

So even though I have "free" electricity, I only have so much I can pull. I certainly can't add another air conditioner to deal with the extra heat.
fizzisist

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 07:42:18 PM

Haha, but wouldn't that be WAF and SOAF? Wink

I think you should be considering the self acceptance factor for the same reason that your wife might not like the GPU farm. Smiley My wife didn't really mind the GPUs, but I was the one most wanting to turn them off. If I had free electricity, they would probably still be on, though...

Blackasaurus (OP)

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 08:04:26 PM

Thank you for all the replies, Do you guys have any recommendation for a card to buy in place of the BFL single?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 08:08:56 PM

5970 would be a good one to look at.  I think it pulls something like 600 MH/s.
Electricbees

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 09:36:35 PM

It will easily pull much more than that when overclocked...
And is efficient in terms of MH/W compared to most other cards.

And searching for one will drive you insane. Good luck!

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 10:50:20 PM

A couple of exceptions:

I would add:

d) you have free electricity but low current service

I'm in a high rise condo and don't have 200 amp service like many houses.

So even though I have "free" electricity, I only have so much I can pull. I certainly can't add another air conditioner to deal with the extra heat.

e) you don't like the noise/heat of a rig with GPUs
f) you want to mine in your regular computer while you use it
g) you want to buy lots of them (since you stack them all in the same computer, it would probably be cheaper than the equivalent Ghash/s in GPUs+Mobo+PSU)
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 04:41:08 AM

Has anyone confirmed that a computer game could be played just fine while a BFL single mines in the background?

I get 750 mhash/s with my 5970 and I think that 700-800 mhash/s is typical.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 06:40:43 AM

Has anyone confirmed that a computer game could be played just fine while a BFL single mines in the background?

I get 750 mhash/s with my 5970 and I think that 700-800 mhash/s is typical.
I've always played computer games while my computer mines.  I use an old guiminer though, so it's not quite as fast in terms of MHs as some of the latest and greatest miners, but it lets me play games while mining, so I don't have to try and remember to turn it back on when I'm done.
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 08:49:45 AM

Just as the title implies, are the singles worth it if you dont have to worry about electricity costs? I know they are very efficient compared to GPUs in terms of mh/w but I have a set cost for electricity where I live sooooo...?

What we had in mind were other issues of GPUs such as noise, heat, complete GPU failure due to heavy load, Fan failure which
seems to be common, equipments required to get the GPU to mine (MB, RAM, PCI-E Slots and/or risers), expensive PSUs which
must feed the whole system and space occupation. I'm not sure how accurate this statement is, bust most of the time you need
to Flash the card, some overclocking on the GPU itself and underclocking in its RAM is also involved. Some sort of heat evacuation system
is also required if you are in a closed area. Summer seems to be problematic as well, as it will be more difficult to cool down a 300W
Graphic card in the summer. 

The difference is that with 10 singles, you will have 8,320MH/s processing power at 830 Watts (Less if you use a very high efficiency PSU).
It will not generate unbearable noise or overheat. Only a single low-end computer is needed, and your're ready to mine...

Regards,

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
fred0

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 10:50:16 PM

The difference is that with 10 singles, you will have 8,320MH/s processing power at 830 Watts (Less if you use a very high efficiency PSU).
It will not generate unbearable noise or overheat. Only a single low-end computer is needed, and your're ready to mine...
Can you provide a link to one of these very high efficiency PSU?
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 11:13:00 PM

Can you provide a link to one of these very high efficiency PSU?

Well the Bitcoin community has a lot more experience in heavy duty PSU. Any PSU that has
above 90% efficiency, is a high-efficiency PSU I would say.

Regards,

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
testerx

Activity: 608
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 06:21:14 AM

Even with "free" electricity you quickly run into the fact that your house is probably not wired for unlimited draw so you quickly realize that you can't run all the ACs you'd need to cool massive amounts of mining power.  Even just mining with 2 GPUs going my apartment gets quite warm (though my apartment is warm in general).  Probably gonna put my next rig somewhere cooler than my own apartment but nonetheless you do run out of power at some point.
boconniff40

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 04:02:14 PM

Read my previous threads, I outline whether it's worth it or not.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67701.0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 04:04:02 PM

Read my previous threads, I outline whether it's worth it or not.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67701.0

Based on your imaginary 5.5 cent electricity?  I thought you had stopped all that nonsense?
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:06:18 PM

Based on your imaginary 5.5 cent electricity?  I thought you had stopped all that nonsense?

That's about what I pay for my peak rate, per kWh.  Off-peak is about $.01 cheaper, but I also get stuck with a "demand" fee of something like $15 per kW.  During the summer my electric bill was still around $300-400 with my 900W mining box and a/c going 24/7 Sad

Mousepotato
boconniff40

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:57:44 PM

WTF are you a retard DeathandTaxes? I clearly told you that you are on my ignore list, now stop trying to talk to me retard.

What the fuck is so goddamned imaginary about 5.5 cents kWh for 5 years.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: