Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:43:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Economists at Bitcoin Conference 2012- London?  (Read 1176 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:47:33 AM

I would like to see some Austrian economists at this conference.

If you guys stick with being politically correct, you probably won't see me taking the flight over there.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 12:49:54 AM

If you guys stick with being politically correct, you probably won't see me taking the flight over there.

You will be missed.  Roll Eyes

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:52:31 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2012, 05:57:16 PM by Maged

I won't miss a convention with a lack of economists. Good luck getting Keynesian shills to say anything positive about Bitcoin. Mainstream economic academia has literally been bought out by The Fed.

"Bitcoin will enable law enforcement to better track money laundering. Durr hurr durr. Bitcoin isn't anonymous. Bitcoin needs to work with regulatory bureaucrats to be successful."

If it's going to be shit like the above, I expect this whole organization to be defunct very soon.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 12:56:30 AM

Mainstream economic academia has literally been bought out by The Fed.

Thats a bold statement, do you mind proving it? Your always questioning other people's statements, now I would like to question yours.

'Mainstream economic academia has literally been bought out by The Fed. '

I would ask you define that statement, bring specific examples of the Fed buying out mainstream economic academia.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:58:51 AM

Mainstream economic academia has literally been bought out by The Fed.

Thats a bold statement, do you mind proving it? Your always questioning other people's statements, now I would like to question yours.

'Mainstream economic academia has literally been bought out by The Fed. '

I would ask you define that statement, bring specific examples of the Fed buying out mainstream economic academia.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/07/priceless-how-the-federal_n_278805.html

If you're not genuinely interested in scouting out the details, why should I be interested in doing it for you? Haha. My job isn't to instill curiosity but I will happily provide a source or two; especially from a news source I despise.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 01:02:27 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2012, 01:15:02 AM by Boss

Also, if you consider the Rothschild banking family and its regulatory cronies as the precipice of economic and banking exceptionalism, then yes, London is the place for you.

Good grief.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 01:04:25 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/07/priceless-how-the-federal_n_278805.html

If you're not genuinely interested in scouting out the details, why should I be interested in doing it for you? Haha. My job isn't to instill curiosity but I will happily provide a source or two; especially from a news source I despise.

Please don't make assumptions, as I am interested in scouting out the details. Why else would I ask you?

I think our opinions differ on our outlook for this conference. You can be there person who says "This is bad, this is bad, Im not going" or you can actually get involved and try and get some economic speakers you think its lacking.

If you don't show up, its a pite. Would be nice to see you be debated in person, so you can't hide behind the forums when things dont go your way.

You will be missed....

Also, if you consider the Rothschild Foundation and its regulatory cronies as the precipice of economic and banking exceptionalism, then yes, London is the place for you.

Good grief.

Please don't insult my family.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 01:14:14 AM

You are a Rothschild?

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 01:21:15 AM

Invite Tom E. Woods Jr. and I will come.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 01:24:57 AM

Invite Tom E. Woods Jr. and I will come.

Go to hell Atlas, no one cares if you come, and even if you did they'd make you take coats.

Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 01:29:23 AM

It's not about me. It's about Bitcoin.

If we ignore the biggest economic school that embraces alternative currencies and stick with mainstream academic mediocrity instead, you'll be left without any grassroots support in the economic field.

I have a feeling the only "economists" we are going to see are some snobby, authoritarian kiss-ups who couldn't spreadsheet their way through running a restaurant much less a country.

I would just like to see genjix and friends admit that they are scared of libertarians and Austrian economics.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 01:32:52 AM

You are a Rothschild?

Yes

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 01:35:04 AM

Atlas doesn't know that we are all freemasons, does he?

EDIT: That was intended for PM.. oops

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 01:43:50 AM

It's not about me. It's about Bitcoin.

If we ignore the biggest economic school that embraces alternative currencies and stick with mainstream academic mediocrity instead, you'll be left without any grassroots support in the economic field.

I have a feeling the only "economists" we are going to see are some snobby, authoritarian kiss-ups who couldn't spreadsheet their way through running a restaurant much less a country.

I would just like to see genjix and friends admit that they are scared of libertarians and Austrian economics.

Boss/Atlas, I'm primarily responsible for organising this, and I would describe myself as a Libertarian and general follower of the Austrian School (for as much as I've been able to study it).

You have to remember I started (and continue to run) GLBSE, about as free market/libertarian of a market as you can get ,so I've got the libertarian credentials.

Lets keep this thread civil and not get off topic. We'll have a whole range of speakers from all different backgrounds and areas of expertise.

It's a conference to bring bitcoin out into the world, it's debutante so to speak, it's not really going to be a place for Austrians and Keynesians to slug it out, and neither is this thread, lets keep on topic.

Yankee, same for you, also could you PM me about speaking/sponsorship, what did you have in mind?

Nefario.

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 02:27:53 AM

I'm clearly in league Rothschilds, Free Masons and CIA.

So it's not Al Qaeda anymore.

Moving up in the world.
Jon (OP)
Donator

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 03:17:19 AM

If you guys are open to it, we could have a on-the-side economics debate. I take up Yankee's challenge of not "hiding behind the forums".

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 03:41:14 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2012, 04:20:10 AM by PatrickHarnett

This is way too off-topic.  I'll ask the mods to move the repetitive arguments elsewhere and clean this up.

Edit: looks moved - thank you
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 12:30:05 PM

+1

In my opinion it's more than obvious that Satoshi has strong background on Austrian Economics and has been highly inspired by its money theory while developing Bitcoin, so building a good economic background on ppl using Bitcoin would be a definite plus.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 05:37:55 PM

+1

In my opinion it's more than obvious that Satoshi has strong background on Austrian Economics and has been highly inspired by its money theory while developing Bitcoin, so building a good economic background on ppl using Bitcoin would be a definite plus.

+1

Nefario says that the 2012 conference highlights the following areas:

- Development
- Economics
- Law
- Finance
- Social
- Ethics

More so than other economic persuasions, the Austrian School has been in the forefront of debating the economic, legal, political, social, and ethical issues surrounding bitcoin since its inception. Also, as demonstrated by the links below, they don't always agree with one another but they at least have the debate. I think that was Atlas' (boss) point.

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/27611.aspx
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/pvt77/robert_murphy_austrian_economist_on_bitcoin_and/

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 02:13:47 PM

I would like to come to the conference and maybe I can even be one of the speakers. I've been working on a paper about economics of Bitcoin, and I've also been at the Prague conference and the London Bitcoin Weekend. In my methodology I'm mostly Austrian, and during my research, I read many Austrian economists about Bitcoin (with many of them I was also in contact by email or otherwise). Apart from those already active on the forums, Jon Matonis and Michael Suede, also (in no particular order): David Gordon, Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Stephan Kinsella, George Selgin, Robert Murphy, Peter G. Klein, Walter Block, Detlev Schlichter (one of the speakers at the Prague conference), Larry White. So I would say I know quite a lot about the overlap between the Austrian School and Bitcoin. Also if you follow the links Jon posted (just one post up) you'll seem me attempting to debate some of the attackers of Bitcoin.

The reason why Austrians are the ones mostly interested in Bitcoin is in my opinion explained the best by Gary North in Mises on Money:
Quote from: Gary North
This theory of endogenous money is unique to Mises and his followers. No other school of economic opinion accepts it. Every other school appeals to the State, as an exogenous coercive power, to regulate the money supply and create enough new fiat or credit money to keep the free market operational at nearly full employment with nearly stable prices. Every other theory of money invokes the use of the State's monopolistic power to supply the optimum quantity of money.

PS. I agree Satoshi is a double crypto/econ genius.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: