Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 06:27:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need some good Bitcoin resources- to help explain Crypto to an investor HELP!  (Read 1445 times)
empowering (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1441

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:17:41 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2018, 06:08:59 PM by empowering

I am compiling a list of resources

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:36:17 PM

I am compiling a list of resources for a person that is totally not up to date and does not get Bitcoin/Crypto currency

The person has a finance background, and a legal background- the person is not technically minded

I have list of resources , videos, text, articles and good places to get key data.

has anyone any works they suggest may be suitable for this gentleman to read ?  (I get the feeling he is more of a reader than a video watcher, plus I have some good videos already- though if you have any amazing links please do share)

I am almost ready to send what I have, but just thought I would ask here if anyone has any good primers to add to my list or rather than me writing it all out again.

The gentleman is a man with very deep pockets and a group of investors, I have meetings planned with the person in question to discuss starting
a Crypto/Bitcoin relegated company here in the UK -

I am looking for good text primers for a person new to crypto but that has a good finance background,  not too basic, not too full on   have you any suggestions that I can add to my ever growing list ?  I do not want to send him everything, I am looking to cherry pick.

Already had one meeting with the chap in question, and before the next one I would like him to do some reading, so he knows more about where
his money is going to be going, before the next rounds of meetings- as the guy is pretty much a crypto newbie.

Thank you in advance.

From your post, it seems like you dont even know much anyway....

Crypto is not bitcoin  Roll Eyes. You're telling him to read about cryptography or what? Stop talking like a moron and let serious ppl do serious business. We dont want to hear another failed bitcoin business run by idiots.

EDIT: joined date December 23rd 2013, another noob attracted by price hikes .... no wonder you call bitcoin "crypto"
empowering (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:27:54 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2018, 06:09:26 PM by empowering

lol  right

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:23:46 PM

You might like to read this and also the thread mentioned at the end of this thread => https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=594344.0

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 04:50:19 PM

"I have a lot of friends who are programmers. The programmers have always gone like, "Those [Bitcoin] guys are crazy."

And then, almost 100 percent of the time, they sit down, read the paper, read the code — it takes them a couple weeks -- and they come out the other side. And they're like: "Oh my god, this is it. This is the big breakthrough. This is the thing we've been waiting for. He solved all the problems. Whoever he is should get the Nobel prize -- he's a genius. This is the thing! This is the distributed trust network that the Internet always needed and never had."

So, one of the challenges is you take people who aren't professional programmers or mathematicians and then you expect them to understand it from a standing start. And it's daunting. And so then it gets a word attached to it, like "currency" or whatever you want to call it, and then people think that it is something it isn't. And you have a sense of this, but it's a much deeper concept than currency. It's the idea of distributed trust."
—Marc Andreessen (in conversation with Brian Fung)

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/21/marc-andreessen-in-20-years-well-talk-about-bitcoin-like-we-talk-about-the-internet-today/

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 07:26:49 PM

"I have a lot of friends who are programmers. The programmers have always gone like, "Those [Bitcoin] guys are crazy."

And then, almost 100 percent of the time, they sit down, read the paper, read the code — it takes them a couple weeks -- and they come out the other side. And they're like: "Oh my god, this is it. This is the big breakthrough. This is the thing we've been waiting for. He solved all the problems. Whoever he is should get the Nobel prize -- he's a genius. This is the thing! This is the distributed trust network that the Internet always needed and never had."

So, one of the challenges is you take people who aren't professional programmers or mathematicians and then you expect them to understand it from a standing start. And it's daunting. And so then it gets a word attached to it, like "currency" or whatever you want to call it, and then people think that it is something it isn't. And you have a sense of this, but it's a much deeper concept than currency. It's the idea of distributed trust."
—Marc Andreessen (in conversation with Brian Fung)

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/21/marc-andreessen-in-20-years-well-talk-about-bitcoin-like-we-talk-about-the-internet-today/

Bitcoin Jesus, meet Coinhead.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 07:53:56 PM

I did not read the code myself, but I have read the original whitepaper.

It is a little technical, but not very long. You have to understand what a cryptographic hash is to understand the paper. (A cryptographic has is a hash that is believed to be irreversible).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:15:51 PM

https://bitcoin.org/en/resources

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:17:31 PM

It's just an accounting ledger that everyone has a copy of that can't be faked.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4536

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:21:34 PM

the investor you talk to is not into programming..

so please please please please DO NOT show him videos that spend 20 minutes talking about cryptography and how mining works.

forex investors do not watch videos about how the fed works, or how a bank note is printed. they truly dont care what patent the cotton of the paper bank note is...

so do not waste a minute on the science of bitcoin.

instead talk to them in human terms. bitcoin itself has not been hacked. (only businesses have, but thats a different story) so just say that hackers have tried to break bitcoin and failed, thats why hackers now love bitcoin for their own store of wealth, because they trust it.
talk about the government side. there are now more government investigations and countries approving bitcoin as an asset. which if you ask a government to approve a tin of baked beans as an asset, they would laugh, again making bitcoin a trusted value store for the government
talk about deflation vs inflation. EG
30 years ago a pizza was less then a dollar, now its over $10..
3 years ago 1 pizza was 5000btc. now you can buy over 60 pizza's for just 1btc.
talk about the fact that forex trading is boring and slow. EG UK-US only moves cents per day and for decades has been stuck on a bracket of £1=$1.50-$1.90 where as bitcoin has no higher or lower brackets. and definitely is at such a small utility now, and growing that the sky is literally the limit..

Keep the "how it works" short. EG

stick to what he knows and wants to know. dont go into mining unless he is going to buy rigs and set them up himself. if he is an investor, its better and cheaper to just buy coins and hoard. or invest into an actual registered and legit business.

mining is not an investment in bitcoin, its an investment in electric supply companies. so dont waste too much time on the mining side.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:30:38 PM

Also I think Andreas M. Antonopoulos ebook will be very useful to spread bitcoin idea to the world ... bitcoin learning resources are very important ... after all only few are capable to dig into 281800 lines of code...

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:33:14 PM

Here's a nice article that says a lot of current Bitcoin and altcoin's financial situation:

http://cryptobizmagazine.com/cryptogenic-bullion-and-the-consultancy-culture/
seriouscoin

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:50:49 PM

....blah blah blah blah...

I dont care if you think i sound rude. The fact that you keep preferring bitcoin as "crypto" means you already failed at grasping the fundamental of bitcoins.

Fortunately for you, there are also many idiots like to use such "technical" word to show they're in the known/trend.

Wanna talk to an investor about bitcoin, talk about " alternative currency" and the economic aspect behind it as what they care about is their bottom line.

Good luck to you... and your grandma if she's still alive.
StevenS

Activity: 206

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:52:55 PM

Excuse me- you do not know me, and you know nothing of my background and you know nothing of what I am planning.

I know plenty thanks, and I already have plenty of information- I am merely asking if anyone has any good primers for a total newbie.

Maybe read a bit better-  and by crypto's I was using an abbreviation for Cryptocurrency, of which Bitcoin is certainly one, that much is pretty obvious? or is that the highlight of your knowledge?
Some advice: It's not the easiest thing to do, but it's best not to respond to an attack in this way. Better is to wait for a while, and someone else will do it for you, which makes you look much better.
seriouscoin

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:01:19 PM

Excuse me- you do not know me, and you know nothing of my background and you know nothing of what I am planning.

I know plenty thanks, and I already have plenty of information- I am merely asking if anyone has any good primers for a total newbie.

Maybe read a bit better-  and by crypto's I was using an abbreviation for Cryptocurrency, of which Bitcoin is certainly one, that much is pretty obvious? or is that the highlight of your knowledge?
Some advice: It's not the easiest thing to do, but it's best not to respond to an attack in this way. Better is to wait for a while, and someone else will do it for you, which makes you look much better.

I "agree", let me sum it up for you :

Some non-technical noob, like to start a "crypto" related company while using technical word without actually understand jack about it "technically". How typical right?

The OP background is finance. How many times have we seen failed btc businesses run by "financial experts"?

Good luck to whomever handing the OP money.
empowering (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:11:29 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2014, 09:31:45 PM by empowering

I did not read the code myself, but I have read the original whitepaper.

It is a little technical, but not very long. You have to understand what a cryptographic hash is to understand the paper. (A cryptographic has is a hash that is believed to be irreversible).

Hi - thanks : )

The Bitcoin whitepaper of course is the first thing I read back in end of 2010, and the first item in my list : )

I have an pretty good understanding of basic cryptography, hashing, elliptic curve etc

As I said this is not for me (though it is always good to learn new things of course) and the gentleman I am in talks with will only ever most likely
want a rudimentary understanding of the deeper workings of the protocol - hence why I am looking for good primers to get the guys up to speed...
 I have enough info already , just scanning for any good polished sources that I may not have seen.

empowering (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:13:33 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2014, 09:29:07 PM by empowering

I "agree", let me sum it up for you :

Some non-technical noob, like to start a "crypto" related company while using technical word without actually understand jack about it "technically". How typical right?

The OP background is finance. How many times have we seen failed btc businesses run by "financial experts"?

Good luck to whomever handing the OP money.

My my you are full of yourself - and you jump to a lot of conclusions, false ones at that - good luck to whomever you live with.

empowering (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:51:23 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2014, 10:07:45 PM by empowering

Hi yeah I know Smiley my bad - I have dealt with a fair share of mindless trolls in my life, and I can see that this chap is not a very smart or a useful troll even, so he is now on ignore, where he shall stay.

empowering (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:07:11 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2014, 12:39:21 AM by empowering

the investor you talk to is not into programming..

so please please please please DO NOT show him videos that spend 20 minutes talking about cryptography and how mining works.

forex investors do not watch videos about how the fed works, or how a bank note is printed. they truly dont care what patent the cotton of the paper bank note is...

so do not waste a minute on the science of bitcoin.

instead talk to them in human terms. bitcoin itself has not been hacked. (only businesses have, but thats a different story) so just say that hackers have tried to break bitcoin and failed, thats why hackers now love bitcoin for their own store of wealth, because they trust it.
talk about the government side. there are now more government investigations and countries approving bitcoin as an asset. which if you ask a government to approve a tin of baked beans as an asset, they would laugh, again making bitcoin a trusted value store for the government
talk about deflation vs inflation. EG
30 years ago a pizza was less then a dollar, now its over $10..
3 years ago 1 pizza was 5000btc. now you can buy over 60 pizza's for just 1btc.
talk about the fact that forex trading is boring and slow. EG UK-US only moves cents per day and for decades has been stuck on a bracket of £1=$1.50-$1.90 where as bitcoin has no higher or lower brackets. and definitely is at such a small utility now, and growing that the sky is literally the limit..

Keep the "how it works" short. EG

stick to what he knows and wants to know. dont go into mining unless he is going to buy rigs and set them up himself. if he is an investor, its better and cheaper to just buy coins and hoard. or invest into an actual registered and legit business.

mining is not an investment in bitcoin, its an investment in electric supply companies. so dont waste too much time on the mining side.

ps - This is not a mining operation, and it is not an exchange, it is something different, as I said not public facing, so it is business to business, and is providing a service that the gentleman already provides, and has done past 20 years with his own firm, and working with some very big players, so this is merely doing almost exactly what he already does and has done the past 20 years, but using cryptocurrency and the blockchain,  it is fiendishly simple, the business is 100% there and the contacts already there, and at no point will the business be in the general publics eye.
 I am sure by the time I am done with him the guy is going to end up holding Bitcoin, probably, but that will have nothing to do with what are going to do. This is more about disrupting a industry that is already in place (and thriving) and adding massive value, and increasing the profit margin massively.  If/when this all works out, then I will come back and spill the beans one day, once we are properly up and running.  

empowering (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:29:35 PM

Good one  Cheesy Cheesy 

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: