Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:47:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-07-02] CoinDesk: Coinbase Announces High-Security ‘Vault’ Bitcoin Accounts  (Read 918 times)
scribbles (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/coinbase-announces-high-security-vault-bitcoin-accounts/

Coinbase is launching a new account that offers additional security features for storing large amounts of bitcoin.

I do think this is a positive thing for moving in the direction of mass adoption. Although I use a paper wallet for cold storage, most people wouldn't want to or know how to go through the steps I did (bitaddress downloaded from GitHub, checksum, Linux liveCD on USB, delete print spool, etc.).

But, the verification method once a transaction is started doesn't make me feel safe. Once a transaction is initiated from your 'vault' account, they text you and email you to verify, then wait 48 hours. However, if my phone is compromised then a hacker has access to both text and email. If they do implement multisig as stated, I'd feel better.

Thoughts?

▄▄███████▄▄
        ▄███▀▀
▄▄▄▄    ▀▄
     ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▀▄
  ▄▀▀██▀           ▀▀██▄▄▀▄
▄▀  ██                 ▀██
  ██       ▀▀█▀▀         █
█▀        █ █ █        ▄█▀▄
▀▄         █ █ █       ▄█  █
 ██         █▄▄▄█      ▄█  ▄▀
  ██▄                ▄█▀  ▄▀
  ▀▄▀██▄▄          ▄█▀  ▄▀
   ▀▄ ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀▀
     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UTRUST▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █
●  Download WHITEPAPER  ●
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▼ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
facebook      twitter      slack
▀████████▄
  ▀███████▄
    ▀██████▄
      ▀██████
       ▀█████
        ▀████▄
         █████
          ▀███
           ███
           ▀██
            ██
             █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:27:48 PM

What is their definition of large amount?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:31:50 PM

Absolutely useless. Remember inputs.io? It had two factor authentication, gpg authentication and a bunch of other security features. but it still got "hacked".

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 08:37:58 PM

Absolutely useless. Remember inputs.io? It had two factor authentication, gpg authentication and a bunch of other security features. but it still got "hacked".
It seems to me that Coinbase and their subsidiaries have been leading the way trying to make mass adoption happen in a smoother transition so I'd have to think they'd have all these things in mind when developing this vault wallet. If they added an insurance guarantee at some point that should solidify this as a great service to the community for grandma and grandpa. Cold storage w/ a guarantee would do wonders for those looking to park their savings out of fiat w/o knowing how to.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 09:41:40 PM

It seems to me that Coinbase and their subsidiaries have been leading the way trying to make mass adoption happen in a smoother transition so I'd have to think they'd have all these things in mind when developing this vault wallet. If they added an insurance guarantee at some point that should solidify this as a great service to the community for grandma and grandpa. Cold storage w/ a guarantee would do wonders for those looking to park their savings out of fiat w/o knowing how to.

Agreed. They are a stable company with a good reputation but insurance would be a big help to people that are afraid of anything other than FDIC backed accounts.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: