Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:33:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LargeCoin C200 Integrated Mining Unit  (Read 7036 times)
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 02:01:18 AM

Story time! Cheesy
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inspector 2211 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 04:26:15 AM

Story time! Cheesy

OK, here's one: This was after I had sold my 2-seater Cessna 150, and while I was renting planes. Arriving at the airport, I find out that all 2-seaters, which I was intimately familiar with, were rented out or in the shop, so I decide to suck it up, pay a little bit more and rent a 4-seater (Skyhawk) instead. I had been checked out in one during the BFR a few months ago, but it wasn't what you call "fits like a glove". So I take off, fly to, whatever, Monterey or something, enjoy the coastal scenery and the toy houses below and finally get back to the home airport and land. Turns out, being not 100% familiar with a Skyhawk, I land going too fast. So what does an airplane do when you land at too fast a speed? It does what it's designed to do, it takes off again. A little. It starts to hop down the runway, doing these little bunny hops. Would be a fun thing to do (the hops don't damage the landing gear or anything), except for the insignificant little fact that while you're hopping down the runway, you cannot brake. So the shopping mall conveniently located at the end of the runway starts to get larger and larger in the windshield, as I'm still hopping down the runway at 70 knots. If you panic now, you're dead. So training and survival instinct take over, I push the throttle forward, retract the flaps and pitch the airplane into best climb angle. The shopping mall is now filling the windshield, but the airplane is light, with but one person inside, and the engine does its job and finally there is a positive climb and the airplane clears the shopping mall. Once again I enter the landing pattern, but this time I land 5 knots slower and it doesn't hop and I can brake and turn off the runway.

My point is, you haven't really lived until you have almost died once.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 08:48:54 AM

Story time! Cheesy

OK, here's one: This was after I had sold my 2-seater Cessna 150, and while I was renting planes. Arriving at the airport, I find out that all 2-seaters, which I was intimately familiar with, were rented out or in the shop, so I decide to suck it up, pay a little bit more and rent a 4-seater (Skyhawk) instead. I had been checked out in one during the BFR a few months ago, but it wasn't what you call "fits like a glove". So I take off, fly to, whatever, Monterey or something, enjoy the coastal scenery and the toy houses below and finally get back to the home airport and land. Turns out, being not 100% familiar with a Skyhawk, I land going too fast. So what does an airplane do when you land at too fast a speed? It does what it's designed to do, it takes off again. A little. It starts to hop down the runway, doing these little bunny hops. Would be a fun thing to do (the hops don't damage the landing gear or anything), except for the insignificant little fact that while you're hopping down the runway, you cannot brake. So the shopping mall conveniently located at the end of the runway starts to get larger and larger in the windshield, as I'm still hopping down the runway at 70 knots. If you panic now, you're dead. So training and survival instinct take over, I push the throttle forward, retract the flaps and pitch the airplane into best climb angle. The shopping mall is now filling the windshield, but the airplane is light, with but one person inside, and the engine does its job and finally there is a positive climb and the airplane clears the shopping mall. Once again I enter the landing pattern, but this time I land 5 knots slower and it doesn't hop and I can brake and turn off the runway.

I believe people in the shopping mall were saying the same thing once you passed the mall. What was the stall-speed of the skyhawk? 60 Knots?

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 09:43:38 AM

I believe people in the shopping mall were saying the same thing once you passed the mall. What was the stall-speed of the skyhawk? 60 Knots?

47 knots according to wikipedia. 60 knots is about the speed you want to be when you touch down. Any lower than 55 knots is uncomfortably slow.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 01:35:47 AM

I almost die on a weekly basis.
I mountainbike Smiley

WEEEEEEEeeeeeeee.....ARRRGHHHHHSHIT!
Ow Sad
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 01:38:54 AM

I almost die on a weekly basis.
I mountainbike Smiley

WEEEEEEEeeeeeeee.....ARRRGHHHHHSHIT!
Ow Sad

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 01:41:34 AM

Story time! Cheesy

Last year I was starting my take off and about 1/3 of the way down the runway, a huge, huge coyote (biggest I've ever seen) runs clean out in front of the plane, gets terrified by the prop and starts running straight down the runway in front of the plane.  Scared the hell out of me, the coyote probably shat himself and then dashed off to the side as my stall horn was blaring and I'm expecting to drop back to the runway any second with a thud... fortunately I got it leveled off and gained a bit of speed before the end of the runway and cleared the trees and power lines with a few feet to spare. Smiley

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:39:06 AM

How did you get to my photos? :/
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 07:22:03 PM

Story time! Cheesy

Last year I was starting my take off and about 1/3 of the way down the runway, a huge, huge coyote (biggest I've ever seen) runs clean out in front of the plane, gets terrified by the prop and starts running straight down the runway in front of the plane.  Scared the hell out of me, the coyote probably shat himself and then dashed off to the side as my stall horn was blaring and I'm expecting to drop back to the runway any second with a thud... fortunately I got it leveled off and gained a bit of speed before the end of the runway and cleared the trees and power lines with a few feet to spare. Smiley

I guess my scary-est pilot story was flying from connecticut to pa, around the west side of NYC.  the cieling was closing in from above and the trees were rising underneath.. the sky looked lighter to the west but with a classC airspace there.   I came very close to just going IFR. (not certified)...  but the radio was blasting things about convective sigmets, i was loath to go into the clouds.....  anyway, I safely made it back to wings field without bending any metal.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: